Feedback Zordak [DEMO UPDATED 2019-08-24] [WINDOWS/LINUX]

Discussion in 'Work in Progress' started by Apapappa, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Apapappa

Apapappa Member

Weekly Report:
    Added two new enemies.
    Polished up the 'Pira' enemy.
    Added a bunch of bubble particle effects when under water.
    Added a new options menu - Accessibility.
    The 'pseudo' auto aim feature is now disabled by default, called 'Aim Assist' and an option in said Accessibility menu.
    Added multiple Color Blindness options in said Accessibility menu.
    Re-organized menu button locations and such to reduce clutter.
    Added a color effect to the in-game options menu to make it less bland.
    Added a message if the player is trying to bind an action to a button that is already bound in the controls menu.
    And fixed a bunch of bugs and issues.

Weekly Gif:
    [​IMG]
    Demonstration of said underwater bubble effects, they will probably get tweaked a bit later at some point.
    And I will most likely add more watery effects as well.

So, now to the question:

Do any of these color blindness filters actually help at all?

[​IMG]

I'm asking because I have no idea if these filters are correct or even if the names are correct.

I just wanted to add some kind of color blindness help/support and this is the easiest way to do it as far as I'm aware, even if it's just a small help.

I used this as a reference, so I assume it is correct:
    http://web.archive.org/web/20081014161121/http://www.colorjack.com/labs/colormat...
    (linking this for full disclosure)

I'm going to try and start posting the weekly devlogs in this format for now on, with the things that has been done at the top and then all the questions, images and such down here.

So that's it for this week.

2. Apapappa

Apapappa Member

Kinda pressed for time so a bit of an early post and no new gif this time, sorry.

Weekly Report:
    Added more underwater bubble effects.
    Added a glimmer/sparkle effect to spikes to help them stand out in some situations.
    Made a bunch of changes and improvements to various things during the facility sequence.
    Improved the jump buffer reducing the chance of a "bad jump".
    You can now clear a keybind in the controls menu to have no key bound to that action.
    Falling too far and getting a "hard landing" no longer drains oxygen or make it look like you took damage.
    Increased the speed of certain parts of the intro cutscene.
    Improved player kick animations. (will probably post gif later)
    Added a map marking system so you can now add your own markings on the map. (will go over this more later as well)
    And more fixes / minor changes.

Question:
    It has come to my attention that doing color blindness assistance/help this way (as described in the previous post) is not really the best way but I'll ask this one more time so same question as last time.

Do any of these color blindness filters in my previous post help at all?

Siolfor the Jackal likes this.
  3. sitebender

sitebender Member

What I've done with all updates is if you don't have 1 set time to work on it, post the next update in a hidden spoiler of a previous update, so you can add to it as the week goes on. Then post it at the end of the week as a real post and delete the spoiler from the previous post. It also helps keep down the constant bumps that probably get ineffective after a while.

COLOR BLINDNESS

As I am not color blind, I can't truly tell, but I do know that red cannot be next to green as they will literally look like the same color. If you do have green next to red, you're supposed to make a different saturation. So players can tell the white-ish red isn't red, therefore it's something different.

In the grand scheme of things... Protanopia = bad. Everything looks green and there's barely any difference between green and red.

Deuteranopia too looks bad for the same reasons.
    Achromatopsia looks bad because it's black and white, but good because I see the greens are white and the reds are grey.

Everything else falls to a middle category.

4. Apapappa

Apapappa Member

I'll add this to the top here as I've got some new information:

So, I think I may have misunderstood these filters.
    They might not actually be supposed to help with color blindness but are rather a simulation of color blindness.
    So I will most likely remove them later as they are more then likely completely useless for color blind people.
    Posting this in case anyone reads who already knows this and is about to tell me.

Sure, that's one way to do it.
    I usually just write a couple of "gif options" in my personal changelog to have an idea of what to post the next week.
    I just didn't have time to make a gif or really think about this weeks post, sure, I could go and edit them up right now but I think I'm just gonna let this one be and it saves me one gif option for later usage. ;)

So yeah.. about the color blindness filters, as stated above I think I may have misunderstood the purpose of these filters, I think they are just supposed to be a simulation of color blindness so they are more than likely useless.
    So probably going to remove them as stated previously.
    It's just a bit weird though since I *THINK* even Doom 2016 has something like this, but they may also be wrong here.

The better way would be to change the actual art where there are problem areas but since this would probably take a lot of time, testing AND I'm not colorblind myself so it's hard to know where the issues are, I'm probably going to have to leave this one out.
    I'm not actually sure there is a problem for colorblind people at all either since no one has mentioned it yet, I just went for what seemed like the easy way out and turns out it was completely wrong.

5. Apapappa

Apapappa Member

Weekly Report:
    The game page on itch now has a new design.
    Removed the colorblindness options since it has become clear to me that I have misunderstood those filters as stated previously.
    Removed the "uncrouch on jump/fall" option and it is now always enabled.
    Added a new enemy.
    Updated a bunch of rooms with changes and fixes.
    Increased text speed of upgrade info popups and the robot companion.
    Reduced the chance of things "popping in" when coming into the view when previously being outside it.
    Separated Controller Stick Deadzone into horizontal and vertical to allow for a higher or lower deadzone for movement vs crouching.
    Fixed controller issues causing it to not set last input to controller when using the right stick and not setting it to keyboard when disabling controller detection completely.
    Reworked controller stick input, deadzones should work better now and sensitivity should feel better.
    And fixed/changed other smaller things.

Also, in case I haven't mentioned this before:
    The weekly report is not necessarily the full changelog but more like highlights of bigger changes which I deem mostly spoiler free.

Weekly Gif(s):
    [​IMG]
    New Itch.io game page design comparison.

[​IMG]
    Improved kicking animations, still not perfect of course but they should feel less weak now.

[​IMG]
    Demonstration of map markers and other map improvements.
    At this moment you can only choose between 3 icons but more will possibly be added later.

Question:
    I don't really have any questions this time but feel free to ask me anything.

Anyway, hopefully this weeks devlog makes up for the last one. ;)

6. CMAllen

CMAllen Member

The standing kick is better now. But I'm thinking, for the crouching kick, you may need a more dramatic change in animation. It still isn't really working. Maybe a kick isn't even the right kind of attack? Perhaps it should be a punch or maybe a sliding kick? Because I'm trying to picture a stationary kick from a crouched position like that, and I'm just not seeing it. Which isn't to say that I can't see a kick from a lower position, but they're much more active and animated, involving more body to generate suitable force instead of just the knee.

KPJ likes this.
  7. sitebender

sitebender Member

Crouching kick can be a sweep instead.

8. Apapappa

Apapappa Member

Yeah I know.. the crouching one is still not great, I've just been trying to take the easy way out by not remaking the whole thing to save time.
    The animation is also only used for the first 20 min or so of the game so it has never seemed like such a priority to me.
    But you're still right in that it could be better, might even change it into a punch as you said to save time once again since that would be far easier to do than a completely new animation.

I tried coming up with a concept animation and it turned out like this:
    crouch_kick.png

Done in paint so obviously not that great, but I'm leaning more towards the punch idea at this moment anyway.

I contemplated making a concept animation for this as well but didn't go through with it, but yes, that is an option.
    Probably going with the punch idea though since it is easier, as mentioned earlier.

9. CMAllen

CMAllen Member

Oddly, that's not far from a mock-up I did in blender. The problem is that it's difficult to show 'cross' motion (ie depth) in a 2d plane. The result just doesn't really convey much motion or impact, since the majority of said motion isn't on the 2d plane of the game.

10. ckelsallpixels

ckelsallpixels Member

The game's looking great so far! One thing I'd mention, though: I find that the protgonist's suit looks pretty bland, and doesn't really stand out from the rest of the game. She stands out a lot more when she's in her underwear because the flesh tone contrasts with the grey/blue background. Looking forward to more progress! :)

11. Apapappa

Apapappa Member

Yep, another reason I'm strongly leaning towards just making it a punch since once again, it requires less work and will probably look better than if I attempted this type of kick animation.
    So, thanks for taking the time to post and suggesting the punch idea, probably going with that.

Yeah sure, I get what you mean with the contrast issue, it's less of an issue in motion though but could still be improved for sure.
    I may play around with the colors a bit at some point but probably not in the near future, too many other things to focus on right now. (also importing all those sprites into GMS is quite painful)
    Glad you like the game and thanks for the feedback. ;)

12. Apapappa

Apapappa Member

Okay so, here's a preview of the first version of the crouching punch:

[​IMG]

I think this probably works better than the previous kick, still needs a few tweaks though.

So I guess my question is, is something like this better?

sitebender likes this.
  13. CMAllen

CMAllen Member

The range seems rather short, but otherwise yes, the punch does look better than the crouched kick.

14. Apapappa

Apapappa Member

[​IMG]

This is probably as far as it's gonna get in terms of reach.
    The GIF is also skipping one frame before the actual punch for some reason but this seems good enough to me.
    Probably gonna call this basically done for now, hopefully it's better than the previous one.

15. CMAllen

CMAllen Member

That looks fine to me, for what it is. As you say, it's only a part of the game for a brief period.

Apapappa likes this.
  16. Apapappa

Apapappa Member

Weekly Report:
    Improved map marker selection, you now select the one you want by holding a button and change selection with the arrow keys.
    Added 3 new map marker icons.
    Added various new sound cues for: oxygen draining indication, mapping a key to an already bound key and such.
    Added a new upgrade list, now you don't have to memorize what each collected upgrade does.
    Made multiple improvements to a certain boss fight.
    Made some menu screens less bland by adding a fading color effect, this also adds movement to certain menu screens helping the player know that the game has not frozen on those screens.
    Tweaked the speed of the intro cutscene a bit more.
    Since the crouching kick animation had various issues it has now been converted into a punch instead.
    Organized the menus a bit, they now has separators indicating categories as well.
    Added a "reset to default controls" menu button.
    Added a "controller stick sensitivity" setting.
    Fixed misc things causing multiple controller related settings to not load upon game start.
    Improved fluid reflections, it is now correctly offset from the fluid surface and not the view resulting in more correct reflections.
    And finally, fixed/changed a bunch of smaller things as usual.

Weekly GIF:
    [​IMG]
    Improved map marker selection + a few new icons and the new upgrade list.

Guess that's it for now, open to any kind of feedback as always. :)

sitebender likes this.
  17. Apapappa

Apapappa Member

[​IMG]

The demo has been updated to more accurately represent the final product.
    Some new things compared to the old demo but mostly the same content.

I have reduced the length of the demo a bit because the previous one felt a bit too long and this will also make it easier for me to maintain the demo version.

The demo is now also available on GameJolt for those who prefer that instead of Itch.io.

Weekly Report:
    Added a minimap on/off setting in the options menu.
    Increased the speed of certain player transition animations.
    Made some improvements to map marker handling and wording of text.
    You can no longer pause when an item upgrade popup is active.
    Fixed some player kick/punch hit detection and animation issues.
    Fixed some enemy damage immunity issues.

This week has been mostly fixes for the demo update (only a few are listed here) so a bit of a short list this time.

If you want to know more about the most notable changes since the last demo then you can take a look at my previous devlogs either here in this thread or at: https://apapappa.itch.io/zordak/devlog

Demo Links:
    https://apapappa.itch.io/zordak
    https://gamejolt.com/games/Zordak/348021

Anyway, hope you enjoy this new demo.
    Please leave some feedback if you have anything to say and spread the word about the game if you want to support me. ;)

18. Apapappa

Apapappa Member

Weekly Report:
    Renamed the "controller enabled" option to "controller detection" as it seemed a more fitting name.
    Tweaked the attack patterns of a certain boss a bit more.
    Fixed some map related bugs.
    Supposedly fixed a very old "sliding ledge grab" bug.
    Updated various menu button description texts to be more compact.

Added a message to the controls menu telling the player to disable controller detection if they are planning to use JoyToKey.

Added a new gameplay option, "Sticky Ledge Grab", when this is enabled pressing the left / right directional keys no longer lets go off ledge grab.

Added another new gameplay option, "Ledge Grab Extra Aiming" (probably needs a better name), enabling this makes the up / down directional keys aim diagonally instead of letting go off ledge grab.

I didn't get much done this week and just to give you all a heads up, Zordak development is going to slow down a bit for a while as I feel like I can't really concentrate that well right now.
    I will be trying to work as much as I can of course but if I can't concentrate not much is going to get done.
    So yeah, hope you all understand.

19. Apapappa

Apapappa Member

Changes:
    Added some more menu polish: fading menus, button offsets and such.
    Supposedly fixed a crash related to certain projectiles colliding with other projectiles.
    Updated a few room layouts.
    The "Sticky Ledge Grab" option is now on by default. ie: left/right directional keys no longer let go off ledge grabbing.
    Supposedly fixed an issue causing half the HUD and boss health bars to be invisible.
    Tweaked player ledge grab jumping physics a bit, you now get a speed boost allowing you to jump further.

Tweaked the demo boss: reduced health slightly, increased fly enemy item drop chance, reworked the red blob attack, improved tentacle visuals a tiny bit, the boss fight now also triggers after a certain time has passed.

GIF:
    [​IMG]

This GIF demonstrates the new ledge grab jumping changes.

I've been slowly easing into working on the game again.
    But I also have to admit I've got a bit addicted to a certain game, so that will certainly take away some dev time.
    (this is one reason why I said I couldn't concentrate before)

Anyway, that's all I got this time.

Red Phantom, sitebender and CMAllen like this.
  20. sitebender

sitebender Member

Great lighting and effects makes the atmosphere shine! The ledge grab looks good and like it will diversify gameplay and traversal.

Apapappa and Red Phantom like this.
  21. Apapappa

Apapappa Member

Thanks, the ledge grab can still be improved though, I'm planning to hopefully add an extra animation like a wall kick or something similar for the jumping.
    This will probably make it look better, right now it's a little bit lacking.

Niels and sitebender like this.