Demo Zombies, Dinosaurs and Aliens (Action Platformer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 16767

Moving this development blog to itch.io. I will be requesting an admin to close this topic.

Zombies, Dinosaurs and Aliens is a side-scroller action platformer.

Patch 0.200.0
Appearance of The Crew Man Edin.

• Self made graphics on the plan...
  • Player direction follows mouse.
  • Zero collision problems.
  • Moveable camera to see what levels look like beforehand (Middle Mouse Button).
  • No classes anymore. The guardian class will be merged with the hero Edin at a later point.

Monk and Guardian are in the Public Beta Test.
Latest Build: Revision 33, Patch 0.100.2. The Jungle Dome
Release date: N/A

The Jungle Dome
  • Better Sound Quality.
  • Level 1 Completed.
  • Level 2 Completed.
  • Level 3 Completed.
  • Advanced terrain movement.
  • New enemy with new AI.
  • Save feature.

When The Guardian Rises - RELEASED!

• Guardian class in Public Beta!
  • Title Screen.
  • New character screen.
  • Health stats added to stats book.
  • 4k HD.
  • Heal skill.

The Infiltrator from Kragasiy Awakens - RELEASED!
  • Monk class in Public Beta!
  • Zzungsk Santze Sky Dome Level 1 in Public Beta!
  • Tooltips!
  • Camera can now follow you vertically.
  • Experience and Level Up in Public Alpha!

FEATURES
Three heroes to choose from.
All heroes are distinctively not alike.
Skills and combos.
Side-scrolling platformer.
Beat em up.

CONTROLS

UNIVERSAL CONTROLS
AD
= MOVE LEFT AND RIGHT
SPACE = JUMP
DOUBLE SPACE = JUMP AGAIN
ESC = EXIT GAME
R = RESTART
TAB = SHOW TUTORIAL
LEFT SHIFT = HIDE TUTORIAL
F - DIALOGUE.

DRAGON KNIGHT
HOLD LEFT MOUSE BUTTON = LONG RANGE MELEE ATTACK

• SPEED = FAST
  • JUMP = MEDIUM
  • ATTACK = HIGH
  • RANGE = HIGH
  • DEFENSE = LOW

MONK
HOLD LEFT MOUSE BUTTON
= PUNCHES AND AT THE END A ROUNDHOUSE KICK
PRESS RIGHT MOUSE BUTTON = KNOCKS ENEMIES UP.
EXECUTIONER: IF ENEMY IS BELOW 50% THEN RMB DOES 600% OF NORMAL ATTACK.

• SPEED = FAST
  • JUMP = MEDIUM
  • ATTACK = HIGH
  • RANGE = LOW
  • DEFENSE = HIGH

GUARDIAN
HOLD LEFT MOUSE BUTTON = SHORT-MEDIUM RANGE MELEE ATTACK
HOLD RIGHT MOUSE BUTTON = TURN INVINCIBLE AND DRAW IN ENEMIES, SNARING THEM.
PRESS E BUTTON - HEAL YOURSELF FOR 75 HP.

• SPEED = SLOW
  • JUMP = LOW
  • ATTACK = MEDIUM
  • RANGE = MEDIUM
  • DEFENSE = VERY HIGH
Skärmklipp 2017-11-28 16.53.37.png Skärmklipp 2017-11-28 16.53.51.png

Video from 2017-11-27
Video from 2017-11-17
Ended it like a pro. :)

Developer Diary
WEEK 3

News 2017-12-01
Added better quality sound to the audio content.
Level 1 done.
Added player level indicator.

News 2017-11-30
Changed to high definition. The camera has been double sized.
Added health stats.
The character screen has been reworked.
Added title screen.
Added Heal skill on button E for Guardian.

News 2017-11-28
Added moving experience bar, that increases in x size when you level up.
Added level up feature with stats.

Enhanced player and enemy graphics.
Fixed window bug.

News 2017-11-27

Changed backgrounds on level 1.
Level extension complete.
Level 1 is in Public Beta!
Monk hero is in Public Beta!
Added graphics slider.
Added new video.
The lizard man by the broken wagon can now talk. Press F to talk with him.
WEEK 2

News 2017-11-26
Removed Combo features from monk but added Execution features for the knock up skill.
Removed accumulative speed when pressing the knock up skill because it
was too OP.
Level extended.
Camera now follows you around better.
I will present a new video when I feel the game is stable enough.

News 2017-11-25
Redid enemy health and death behaviour.
Added enemy health bars.
Created monk, spear wielder and guardian character art for selection screen.
Made the monk be the combo class he is. Added damage combo for LMB + RMB.

News 2017-11-20
Fixed collisions.
Fixed Guardian RMB skill (is not released on the open source engine)
Changed Dragon Knight´s jump to medium.

WEEK 1

News 2017-11-17
Made the level longer and more challenging.

News 2017-11-16
Added options.

News 2017-11-15 Getting to Know the Cast
Zuls is a treasure hunter.
Mahi Mojdal is a well respected monk in his city and is called in as an infiltrator.
Erika Lawn is a knight of the seven order wanting retribution, order and law.
Added new hero.
Added three voice clips.

News 2017-11-14
Fixed jump bug and you can now double jump.
Monk character basics done.
Added skill animations to attack.

News 2017-11-13
Added character selection screen.
Added preparations for monk character (monk can only walk left and right now).
Added experience bar.

PAST 3 MONTHS
Art
Early Prototype

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 16767

Updated the game with following abilities player jump, platform fall, fall death, solid walls. Feedback appreciated.

Not meant negatively, but isn't this the same game you were showing a month or two ago? Did the name change?

(Or am I entirely confusing this with another project?)

D

Deleted member 16767

News 2017-11-13
Added character selection screen.
Added preparations for monk character (monk can only walk left and right now).
Added experience bar.

D

Deleted member 16767

CONTROLS

UNIVERSAL CONTROLS
AD
= MOVE LEFT AND RIGHT
SPACE = JUMP

DRAGON KNIGHT
HOLD LEFT MOUSE BUTTON
= LONG RANGE MELEE ATTACK

MONK
HOLD LEFT MOUSE BUTTON
= PUNCHES AND AT THE END A ROUNDHOUSE KICK
PRESS RIGHT MOUSE BUTTON = ENERGY BODY PULSE THAT GROWS FASTER THE MORE YOU CLICK.

D

Deleted member 16767

Fixed an exploit making you go faster when using Energy Body Pulse by holding down D. Uploading in 1 min.

D

Deleted member 16767

Todays update
Getting To Know The Cast
Zuls is a treasure hunter.
Mahi Mojdal is a well respected monk in his city and is called in as an infiltrator.
Erika Lawn is a knight of the seven order wanting retribution, order and law.

Added new hero, Erika Lawn.
Added three voice clips.

F

FROGANUS

hrmm.. interesting project!

i like the the characters and the graphics, its got a cool style/attitude and i like the bright color palette.
you seem to have a good idea of all the features you want to implement (and some cool backstory) which is great, but to be honest, i worry you're a little ahead of yourself, implementing all these features and artwork and animations together.. it seems in general a bit 'busy'..

i say the earliest priorities in developing a game should be the more fundamental aspects of gameplay, for example simple movement, jumping, world collisions.. since these simple things affect all the things you will continue to add (enemy collisions, various attacks, knock-back, advanced moves), it is important to have the fundamental aspects functioning smoothly before implementing too many other features.

that said.. in the demo, i'd suggest focusing a little more on basic movement and jumping (jumpspeed seems kinda slow to me, btw). basic collisions with walls are a bit rigid (sticking in a wall if you jump next to it). i'd recommend checking all your clipping masks, maybe slimming down the clipping area of the player to fit around walls a bit easier, and generally tweaking your code so player's momentum doesn't stop when it shoudn't.

i notice in your vid you seem to have the technique figured out to double jump up and over to get above walls and on platforms, but that was actually kinda hard for me to figure out, lol. maybe you could design the level spaced out a little more with easier jumps too, so player has a chance to try easy single jumps, then some double jumps later on, also give you more variety for testing?

sorry if this seems a bit critical.. i think you've got a cool project on your hands.
i'll keep an eye out and hope to see more in the future!

D

Deleted member 16767

The game engine is released. Thank you for your support and good luck developing new branches to it.

hrmm.. interesting project!

i like the the characters and the graphics, its got a cool style/attitude and i like the bright color palette.
you seem to have a good idea of all the features you want to implement (and some cool backstory) which is great, but to be honest, i worry you're a little ahead of yourself, implementing all these features and artwork and animations together.. it seems in general a bit 'busy'..

i say the earliest priorities in developing a game should be the more fundamental aspects of gameplay, for example simple movement, jumping, world collisions.. since these simple things affect all the things you will continue to add (enemy collisions, various attacks, knock-back, advanced moves), it is important to have the fundamental aspects functioning smoothly before implementing too many other features.

that said.. in the demo, i'd suggest focusing a little more on basic movement and jumping (jumpspeed seems kinda slow to me, btw). basic collisions with walls are a bit rigid (sticking in a wall if you jump next to it). i'd recommend checking all your clipping masks, maybe slimming down the clipping area of the player to fit around walls a bit easier, and generally tweaking your code so player's momentum doesn't stop when it shoudn't.

i notice in your vid you seem to have the technique figured out to double jump up and over to get above walls and on platforms, but that was actually kinda hard for me to figure out, lol. maybe you could design the level spaced out a little more with easier jumps too, so player has a chance to try easy single jumps, then some double jumps later on, also give you more variety for testing?

sorry if this seems a bit critical.. i think you've got a cool project on your hands.
i'll keep an eye out and hope to see more in the future!
Thank you. I fixed the collisions. It now bounces you back or forth depending on how you traverse on the platforms.

D

Deleted member 16767

Added enemy health bars, redid the enemy health and death behaviours, created monk, spear wielder and guardian character art for selection screen. Made the monk be the combo class he is. Added damage combo for LMB + RMB.

D

Deleted member 16767

I removed comboing and added executioning for the monk instead. Speed burst on knock up skill has been removed, I found it too OP. The monk is in the public beta test. Feel free to test him and the level and give feedback. :)

pixeltroid

Your game didn't run very well on my old laptop. :/

So I didn't get to see the game play mechanics etc. However from your video, the characters have a bit of a "floaty" animaton. You might want to get that fixed.

However, though your game plays at a high window size, the backgrounds were EXTREMELY pixelated...to the point that it felt jarring. My 2 cents.

D

Deleted member 16767

Your game didn't run very well on my old laptop. :/

So I didn't get to see the game play mechanics etc. However from your video, the characters have a bit of a "floaty" animaton. You might want to get that fixed.

However, though your game plays at a high window size, the backgrounds were EXTREMELY pixelated...to the point that it felt jarring. My 2 cents.
Hi. What display resolution does your computer have? I've scripted the engine to start the game with the possible lowest window size (800x600). Uploading it in 1 min.

Edit: Thank you very much for your first impressions. I have changed the backgrounds to not be pixelated but not blurry either. You'll see in the next update.

D

Deleted member 16767

Big update today.

I changed the backgrounds to be more friendly to layers. The level extension is complete and there is a waypoint to reach the next area. I added graphics sliders for low-end and high-end computers. The lizard man by the broken wagon can now talk with you if you press F. And lastly, I made a video of the extended level.

Level 1 and the monk are in public beta.

D

Deleted member 16767

I need pro gamers to keep an eye on the experience bar to see if at a point it slowly goes up. I'm not very good at the game myself, I get rusty after awhile. Here is the latest build:

Edit: So I fixed the experience bar, making it move up as intended. I now need to test if the game crashes.
Edit 2: Level up feature has been added. Latest build: https://ufile.io/c0eiy

My questions:
Does it feel like you do more damage?
Did you crash somewhere in the game?

D

Deleted member 16767

I am in the process of changing the character graphics.

Skärmklipp 2017-11-28 16.53.37.png

D

Deleted member 16767

The first expansion is released and the next to come is When The Guardian Rises. You can now play AoI with completely new graphics.

D

Deleted member 16767

When The Guardian Rises has been released! I now need to make new levels, but I'm kind of not in the mood right now to do so.

D

Deleted member 16767

BEUPE Engine 1.0 has been released and a new playable game demo made with it has been patched. I had to make a website for it because game maker marketplace allows you to only upload max 50 mbs.

D

Deleted member 16767

Still looking for a level designer to help out with levels. I might just need to do the level designing myself, but that might not happen in awhile. I made a website for AoI on www.beupe.net. Beupe is the given name to the engine I have made and that I am developing more on. I have taken down the Beupe engine download from the site and it is private now. I have also added a survey on the website to gather information on the game testers opinions, and I have uploaded the game demo to a faster host.

D

Deleted member 16767

I have made a major overhaul to the combat system. I made the player only be able to use his basic attack skill when interacting with the enemy. This made the overall gameplay feel much more intense and satisfying. It also lead to a far greater distinction between the two classes. The monk has been further pushed towards the goal of an assassin class and the paladin a tactical tank. The demo is on my website. I hope you like the changes! :)

There are some bugs like the player being red all the time. It will be fixed in a future patch.

D

Deleted member 16767

Urgent hotfix coming up in about 30 mins. It will be available on my website. It will fix a game-breaking bug (the hold mouse button exploit).

D

Deleted member 16767

I have a new demo up on beupe.net. I completed the combat gameplay and UI overhaul 100% unless there are more bugs to squash.

The core engine is almost ready to be made into a game with 10 levels, which by then I might change how the gameplay plays out in the next 10 levels. There are 2 playable heroes and one enemy. The enemy is just walking back and forth. I am planning the 10 levels to be a match against collision detection (with maybe one more enemy with a different collision box), and then I might add one more enemy that maybe flies and drops stuff.

ETA for the 10 levels will take 8-12 months to be completed. I have nothing else to do now or change. If the levels will be done, I will let you know.

D

Deleted member 16767

You can now walk up and down on slope platforms. There won't be a demo out until I am done with the levels.

D

Deleted member 16767

New demo is up on the website (the monk is on the new game version (0.075))! I focused last week and today on advanced terrain movement and made a prototype of level 2. The experience bar visual might be removed but not the level indicator.

D

Deleted member 16767

Here is an update on what I am working on.

I'm working on level 3 and my first enemy with an actual AI. Coding the AI so far has been lots of fun.

D

Deleted member 16767

The new version (0.080) is out on my website and it brings a new enemy and level 3. I also redesigned some code inside the console, just to leave room for more player and enemy events.

You will die many times because this is not an easy game. It's not meant to be either. The game challenges strategical thinking and patience while having strong points on action combat.

Level 3 can not be beaten yet since the enemy group is very strong, but you can reach the end. The story continues too in the monks diary.

D

Deleted member 16767

What better christmas present than to release the early access game to GameJolt? https://gamejolt.com/games/aoi/306439
I made a trailer for the game. Expect major updates after new year. I am gathering some attention, an artist is working on something and I might get help from a level designer.

D

Deleted member 16767

Version 0.100 is up! This is a big release.

Added lots and lots of jungle art assets.
Introduction stages done for the Assassin and the Guardian.
Save feature done.
And lots more!

What's to come next is the open world if I continue to work on this game. I am taking a long break either way.

D

Deleted member 16767

I'm in the process of getting the game validated on Steam. It will take about 2-3 days, 5 days at max. If it gets a go, the game will open up for early access on 27th January, at when I am on a semester. The Steam early access game will give the Guardian hero stats that make her damage and health get modified each level up. I have tried the latest version, and it differs in that the Triceratops get easier at stage 2, but the Spinosaurs difficulty to defeat is greater due to adding the attack animation to the Spinosaurs when the Guardian attack them.

Here is a sneak peak of an upcoming follower in the game.
thumbnail_Sketch2.jpg

D

Deleted member 16767

I had to edit some stuff on the steam page. Then I decided that it is too early to send this to the steam platform.

Devlog on gamejolt has been updated. Upcoming features are more branches to the level system; skill tree is something I have in mind. Items with stat scaling and health pickups with random buffs and debuffs for the duration of the level.

Up until today I've changed the combat again. I've given the enemies a death animation, which do not recognize the controllers and that is why the combat has changed, for the better I hope. I've made a game over screen with additional graphic features that appear if you press A, D or click the screen. Something to do if you're bored to start getting that kick again.

Today I've been working on cutscene coding. So that the player can not be touched and can not do anything while a cutscene appears.

D

Deleted member 16767

Coming next patch: Different Health Mods.

D

Deleted member 16767

I will be continuing making trailers for upcoming stuff for the next big game patch. The game is becoming fun to play, and I am restraining from uploading too often for many reasons.

Down below is a sneak peak of v. 0.200.

D

Deleted member 16767

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT!

I am taking a sidestep from this project now and then to work on a web game.

User joins the team. I've given him information on the upcoming features that I've planned.

Lastly, I'd like to thank everyone that has been following this game and that has played it on gamejolt. 11 plays is not that bad for early game versions, is it?

Edit: User does not have GMS2.

D

Deleted member 16767

The game went up from 80 mbs to 800 mbs. Because of something. Read my devlog for more information. I think it's well worth it though. The latest version is being uploaded and will be available in about 2-3 hours. It will be listed on gamejolt as version 0.145. I intend to use this large drive user for more than one occassion. Like active skills that do burst damage and for buffs.

I should make an indicator that the assassin hero is not for beginners, while the guardian is for beginners. But I'm not sure yet because I haven't added in mana resource yet.

EDIT: I scaled down the image from 100% to 10% and multiplied the size in code. The game size went down to 90mbs. The animation is more pixelly, but I rather have it like that than to take a up a lot of space.

EDIT: The latest version has been uploaded.

T

Thunder Lion

Does it run that slow or is that just the screen shots?? Also I read the title as Artificial Immortality, possible name for someone's games $500 dollars, no $5000 NO $1 BILLION DOLLARS

But to keep with the subject, the game looks interesting, reminds me of those old school flash games back in the day. I assume the ground graphics will change?

D

Deleted member 16767

Does it run that slow or is that just the screen shots?? Also I read the title as Artificial Immortality, possible name for someone's games $500 dollars, no $5000 NO $1 BILLION DOLLARS

But to keep with the subject, the game looks interesting, reminds me of those old school flash games back in the day. I assume the ground graphics will change?
Hello. Hah, really? I just thought of the current name for the game because I was thinking of making some stuff in the game unique and name them artifact. Immortality just to spice it up and because Valve is already working on a game called Artifact.

The game does not run slow to my knowledge. But I am running it on a new laptop.

That the ground may change in the future is definitely a possibility. I don't want squared platforms with walls. I'll need to find resources in the future, but it will be hard to find non-tilesets that look the same and that are suitable for each solid platforms finish line. I'm also not a partner with a funding group, and to which I am not interested in being, since that will make this from a hobby into a job.

Anyway, thanks for dropping by. :) And down below is the latest news.

Fixes, new features and other new stuffs

An animation with the size of 1920x1080 and that has a total of 150 animation frames was added to the game today. It’s there as a graphical debuff hinter.

Added sounds for picking up health mods.
Added graphic indicator for debuff (I’m satisfied with the effect).

Bugfix #1 that prevented you to level up on starting room. Level increased to 5.
Bugfix #2: Talking to npcs will no longer make the player jump when ending the dialogue by pressing space.
Bugfix #3: There is now not an invisible roof that blocks you from jumping higher and makes you get stuck on it on the starting room.

The menu buttons have been redone.

Regarding "clunky controls". The way double jump has been programmed is that you get a cooldown on jumping when you double jump. Having a double jump not going on cooldown when you can’t set a float as far as I know on GMS2, is probably not possible with the code I have implemented. When you jump again mid air, GMS2 somehow doesn’t seem to understand (with how I have programmed on how you can jump on different angular terrain) that the player reaches the ground and is not floating anymore.

The reason for this delay after double jumping may have to do with me programming angular terrain to be jumpable on.

So coming to a conclusion: It seems that angular terrain jumping is having a conflict with straight platform jumping.

For people that have tried this game, please come up with ideas of random cards that appear in every room randomly. Like… what does the player cards do for the player and what does the enemy cards do for the enemies?

I am putting up one player card and one enemy card only in every room. But like I said the cards that appear are randomly picked.

I have only designed one card, and it’s a reflect + damage card. Every time you move on enemies they lose 0.5 hp * level every two (or one) seconds.
It's a patch but not a live patch

New skill: Grappling Gun.

"Hooks your enemies, dealing 16.5 * level damage and throwing them back."

I haven’t had time to develop this to a complete state, but will do whenever I get the chance to.

Hotfix #1: Made healing skill an uninterruptable act (except for RMB that will be taken away in the future, and the grappling gun skill and also jump).
Hotfix #2: Made grappling gun skill an uninterruptable act (except for RMB that will be taken away in the future, and the healing skill and also jump).

D

Deleted member 16767

Patch 0.200.0
Appearance of The Crew Man Edin.

I have edited player and enemy assets so that they look original, while keeping the skeleton and animation from them. I made this because I wanted to make different npcs and enemies myself without having to depend on other artists.

The new stuff are that there are now zero collision problems (however you can jump from platforms taller and above you to another platform the same), a much bothered issue that made people have different opinions on how to make the game more enjoyable, none that I will discuss here. Now that the player direction follows the mouse, the issue of getting stuck on platforms are gone, and I have taken away the invisible bounce walls. Another thing is you can preview a room live with a moveable camera, by holding down the middle mouse button. I also fixed player jumping by putting in floor code.

• Self made graphics on the plan...
  • Player direction follows mouse.
  • Zero collision problems (however you can jump from platforms taller and above you to another platform the same).
  • Moveable camera to see what levels look like beforehand (Middle Mouse Button).
  • No classes anymore. The guardian class will be merged with the hero Edin at a later point.

D

Deleted member 16767

Here are a list of features that I have programmed into this platform engine:

My platform engine includes:

Camera and Movement

1. Moveable camera and not binded to player when pressing middle mouse button.
  2. Bug free jump.
  3. Player direction following mouse cursor.

Environment

1. Good collisions.
  2. Platforms and diagonal slopes.

Stored Statistics

1. Level up with statistics.
  2. Health bars.
  3. Save system.

Gameplay

1. Basic attack.
  2. Self heal.
  3. Attack and pull enemies back.
  4. Attack and throw enemies in the air.
  5. Enemy patrolling area.
  6. Enemy getting alerted and starting it's attack stance.
  7. Enemy dies and vanishes.

Essential Rooms

1. Zoning to a new room.
  2. Loading rooms.
  3. Menu with sounds.
  4. Game over room.
  5. Randomized rooms.
  6. (Pick who you want to play room).
  7. Continue room.

Text Dialogue

1. Interacting with NPC displays a message.
  2. Ending conversation with a key press.
  3. Text typing itself.
  4. Fast forwarding text with a key hold.
  5. Next text message with a key press.

I do take offers from people that want to buy the engine, since it's too big for the game maker marketplace. But I hope you come from a programming background, since you need to understand what does what and why. It's basically ready for a team to handle, so you can focus directly on the gameplay department and maybe even networking. It will probably save you 6 months of work.

D

Deleted member 16767

The player character is now 128x128, a change from 400x400. First impressions from people helped me think of the size of the character. And I've added graphics made by me into level 1 and 2, a milestone I wrote about some weeks ago. The first puzzle is now complete. It's not hard like fighting a raid boss, but it is hard. It will tickle your patience. I call it the Wind Puzzle. You have to time your jump correctly to progress further into the game. Some things I'd like to add in the future are high scores for speed running and an item achievement for speed running a specific level pretty fast. The first item in the game I'd like to add is double jump boots.

I've balled with the idea of making a super meat boy competitive multiplayer game. I have patience enough to wait for the game to grow, so who knows. It might happen or it might not happen. Upsides are that it will be fun and when you win you will feel good about it. Downsides are that I think people will get extremely frustrated when getting behind other players because they can't jump like a good platformer and broken keyboards. I don't want people to feel stupid getting behind people most of the time, and I don't have time to make a rank system that is pretty much obligatory. So I'm pretty certain that I will leave multiplayer out.

No demo available for this version of the game.

Webp.net-resizeimage.png

D

Deleted member 16767

Moving this development blog to itch.io. I will be requesting an admin to close this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.