Free Zer0 0ne

L

Librarian Polecat

Welcome Zer0 0ne. Ready to get your hack on? There are so many computers and networks to infiltrate its absurd. Its like people think they can live without fear of getting digitally rekt! The nerve. Prove them wrong.

Zer0 0ne is a hacking strategy game I've been working on for the past few months. It started out as a local Gam Jam game that tied for first place. Since then, I've been developing it further and really honing the idea down to a state of (what I feel) is addictive enjoyment. That nice balance between challenge and success. This is my first game actually so I've been learning as I go through the process as well. I'm basically a one man team with some outside assistance thrown in here and there. Anyways, I really hope you enjoy the game

Description:
You are Zer0 0ne, an emerging hacker setting out to make your mark on the world. But why do you hack? Declare your motivation to determine your objectives then get to it.

Hack computers. Earn cash. Buy upgrades.

Win at life.

Download:
https://imnotsurewho.itch.io/zer0-0ne

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mysticjim

Hello

I played it. I like the concept, I like the humour, especially the voiceover tutorial. Not so sure about the game itself, I'll try and give a bit of constructive feedback below in pros and cons;

Pros

I like the presentation. It has a 'technical' look even with minimal graphics.

I liked the tutorial, especially the humour.

I liked the concept.

I liked the atmosphere, like the little rapid, typing sounds as you 'hack' the terminals.

Cons

It's not really a game about hacking in the traditional sense. I know that is pretty much evident in the description, it's an Arcadian visualisation of hacking, somewhat watered down into a game of rapid clicking. Alas, I'm generally not a fan of games of rapid clicking, but that's just me!

The action, when it happens, despite the dramatic soundtrack, is a bit pedestrian. I wasn't compelled enough to want to get better at it. I can see that you have to play strategically but it didn't engage me enough - alas, I didn't find it addictive enough to want to give it more than a couple of goes. Sorry!

It's got an installer. I hate those!

In summary, I think there is a concept for a good game in there, but it's not quite there yet. Possibly the 'easy' levels are too big. Maybe they should start with a smaller group of computers and shorter timescales to give a greater sense of drama, perhaps?

L

Librarian Polecat

Hello

I played it. I like the concept, I like the humour, especially the voiceover tutorial. Not so sure about the game itself, I'll try and give a bit of constructive feedback below in pros and cons;

Pros

I like the presentation. It has a 'technical' look even with minimal graphics.

I liked the tutorial, especially the humour.

I liked the concept.

I liked the atmosphere, like the little rapid, typing sounds as you 'hack' the terminals.

Cons

It's not really a game about hacking in the traditional sense. I know that is pretty much evident in the description, it's an Arcadian visualisation of hacking, somewhat watered down into a game of rapid clicking. Alas, I'm generally not a fan of games of rapid clicking, but that's just me!

The action, when it happens, despite the dramatic soundtrack, is a bit pedestrian. I wasn't compelled enough to want to get better at it. I can see that you have to play strategically but it didn't engage me enough - alas, I didn't find it addictive enough to want to give it more than a couple of goes. Sorry!

It's got an installer. I hate those!

In summary, I think there is a concept for a good game in there, but it's not quite there yet. Possibly the 'easy' levels are too big. Maybe they should start with a smaller group of computers and shorter timescales to give a greater sense of drama, perhaps?
Hey mysitc, thanks so much for trying it out and taking the time to give me your feedback. I'll definitely keep these things in mind if I make any changes to it. Even if I don't make any changes this game was a huge learning experience for me as it was my first. But all these things are quite helpful for whatever I work on next as well. Again, thanks!

M

mysticjim

Hey mysitc, thanks so much for trying it out and taking the time to give me your feedback. I'll definitely keep these things in mind if I make any changes to it. Even if I don't make any changes this game was a huge learning experience for me as it was my first. But all these things are quite helpful for whatever I work on next as well. Again, thanks!
No problem mate. As I said - there were a lot of positives, and frankly you're already way ahead of me in that you've actually made a finished game, of that fact alone I'm envious! I'm really pleased it was a valid learning experience - in terms of the presentation you got a lot of things absolutely spot on. I'm sure your next project will be bigger, more ambitious and will probably deliver on the potential you've hinted at with this first attempt. Best of luck dude.