• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows YYC Pause Event messes up keyboard_check_direct

F

freekshow_kc

Hello,

i just made the first public build with GameMaker Studio 2 and i compiled with YYC for windows.
If i target YYC the pause events mess up with my menus. They won't accept any input. Basically if you tab out and in the game is dead.

If i target VM everything works fine. So my hotfix was to publish a VM compiled executable...
Sadly its impossible to debug YYC and on VM where i can debug everything works fine ...

Can anyone try to check how his YYC build works? running it out of GM2 with YYC target will work for checking this.

I actually dont have a clue what to do, it calls the pause events and resumes it but after works no input is passed to the game.

Pause event has been registered for this frame
Pause event has been unregistered

on both Versions...

Funny thing: the gameplay still accepts all inputs...
Yeah it is related to my menus, but i have absolutely no clue whats happening :/

So i did quite a bit of bugtracking and i had to change
keyboard_check_direct to keyboard_check_pressed

keyboard_check_direct doesnt work after the pause event was registered, before it works like intended... so i guess i found something broken right? :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
keyboard_check_direct doesnt work after the pause event was registered, before it works like intended... so i guess i found something broken right? :p
Yes, that sounds like something worth reporting. Please report it to the link given above and if you can supply a link to download the YYZ that gives the error (the bug will be private and for devs only).

F

freekshow_kc

Yes, that sounds like something worth reporting. Please report it to the link given above and if you can supply a link to download the YYZ that gives the error (the bug will be private and for devs only).
Well i still feel uncomfortable giving a full project out so i made a seperate "bug report project"

Works on VM target
Fails on YYC target

While i did this small project i actually understood the problem in detail...
if you tab out you press alt+tab , on yyc if you come back to the game alt is still "pressed"
because i dont want to buttons be pressed while alt+enter or alt+f4 or alt+tab i have a little alt protection...
so although alt was not pressed after the pause was unregistered keyboard_check_direct(vk_alt) always returns true

if you actually press alt again after in the game the function gives the actual result back again.
Those problems are only on YYC not on the regular compiler (i dont know how to call it :p)

var push = max(keyboard_check_released(vk_enter),keyboard_check_released(vk_shift),keyboard_check_released(vk_space),0);

if not(keyboard_check_direct(vk_alt) or keyboard_check_released(vk_alt))
if (push == 1) score +=1;

ill send in the bug right now

http://www.yoyogames.com/bug report it here, developer support on the forums tends to be limited to if they decide to pop in.
for gamemaker s2dio its http://www.yoyogames.com/bug2

Last edited by a moderator: