• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE YYC on GMS2

R

risa401

1. Will there ever be YYC on GMS2?
2. If yes, will it exist at launch or after?
3. Will it be available to everyone who bought any kind of license?

Aviox

(from my understanding) YYC is now an integrated part of GMS. It's not even an option to compile an executable to include an interpreter and uncompiled code instead of compiled code. Although it's useful for debugging, interpreting on the fly is inefficient for commercial projects, as the code is read in its high-level, human-readable format, line by line while running, and "interpreted" into actual low-level instructions at runtime. That's an expensive way to process code!

Since it's not a serious professional solution for games (something typically pretty demanding of a system), YYG decided to include the compiler in their base level package when they tried to become a serious professional option. Anything else would be a big step backwards.

From my understanding, the only way to use the GMS interpreter is by using the "debug" function when testing. If you just hit "play", it complies first.

Source: my computer science education and an educated guess. (so I suppose someone on staff would need to confirm)

N

NPT

Source: my computer science education and an educated guess
Next time, use the manual instead.

By default GameMaker Studio 2 will run and debug using the built in VM (virtual machine), which is more or less the same as running on the desktop OS being used. However GameMaker Studio 2 is a cross platform engine and you can test, debug and compile asset packages of your projects on a number of different target platforms (the exact platforms available will depend on the details of your licence). To change the current target platform you can click on the Targets button to open the Targets Window, which will look something like this (exact details will vary based on your licence type):

Aviox

Fair enough. But this doesn't answer the OPs question. It doesn't address building executables, and if you can build with the VM included.

I see I got one detail wrong. The VM (interpreter) is running even if you aren't running in debug mode. Testing in either mode uses the interpreter. Apologies for claiming it as fact.

L

LordVTP

The fact that you can run the beta sans visual studio means no, it is not using YYC ....

Yes, they absolutely want to improve total performance vs 1.X, you might have noticed that they use a dx11 base renderer now.

The simple reason for not having YYC available now is they are still working the bugs out of the interpreter version (and the primary work priority is the new IDE ATM), which they in turn use to provide the baseline for the YYC version which must try to be a 1 to 1 functionality and behavior match for said interpreter runner, across all native code exports and languages (this is one hell of a thing).

It was the same case with 1.X YYC, it came only after the main runner was sufficiently stabilized and even then the YYC version took 2/4x as long to in turn stabilize and be truly useful in end product (but was so, SO worth it ).

Last edited:

Hyomoto

Is it me or does all this sound like a lot of words that mean yes, but without saying yes. As in, "Yes, but not for the beta. It will depend on your platform license." Which would be the proper way to answer the initial question.

Aviox

Is it me or does all this sound like a lot of words that mean yes, but without saying yes. As in, "Yes, but not for the beta. It will depend on your platform license." Which would be the proper way to answer the initial question.
hahah, perhaps.
But I'll be really surprised if YYC doesn't come with the [anything other than free] version, since that's how it is with 1.X

Z

zircher

I suspect that the answer to number 3 is that it will have a cost as well. I'd like to know if that one will be discounted as well (for previous owners.)

R

renex

The thing with the YYC is that it takes way longer to build. It would be really annoying if tests didn't use the vm.

S

Shadowblitz16

The fact that you can run the beta sans visual studio means no, it is not using YYC ....

Yes, they absolutely want to improve total performance vs 1.X, you might have noticed that they use a dx11 base renderer now.

The simple reason for not having YYC available now is they are still working the bugs out of the interpreter version (and the primary work priority is the new IDE ATM), which they in turn use to provide the baseline for the YYC version which must try to be a 1 to 1 functionality and behavior match for said interpreter runner, across all native code exports and languages (this is one hell of a thing).

It was the same case with 1.X YYC, it came only after the main runner was sufficiently stabilized and even then the YYC version took 2/4x as long to in turn stabilize and be truly useful in end product (but was so, SO worth it ).
I don't know about the GMS1 compiler but the debugger crashed all the time and and dozens of bugs that were never fixed
and they were impossible to report since they were completely unpredictable and couldn't be repreduced