• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows YYC and Windows 10

helpleo

Hello everyone, I am in the verge of completing a project which had a extremely long development cycle; so the codebase is quite messy, with hundreds of assets of music and art. Because of that resource bloat, compile times are painfully slow, bordering on 4 minutes per compilation, which makes executing those final adjustments quite difficult.

I was searching for optimization tricks to fix this long times, and realized I was using the regular compiler, not the YYC, which was supposed to be way faster than the regular one; but, when I switched, it could not find the location for the Windows 10 SDK, despite I giving the exact location, as illustrated by the following image:

Sem título2.png

My GM is the Professional Edition, v1.4.1757, and I have the latest versions of both the SDK and Microsoft Visual Studio. Another detail is that the error message in that folder is "SDK windows.h does not exist" while in any other folder it just says "SDK include directory does not exist", so I think it is in the right direction.

I have searched the internet for anyone having a similar problem, and can't seem to find any answer, and the YoYo site has only instructions for Windows 7 and 8.1. The YYC might be crucial for me to finish my project with my sanity intact, so any help would be highly appreciated :)

Reactions: Roa

Roa

I was just about to repeat this post till I saw this.About to swallow my own head. This makes no damn sense lol.

It's supposedly the main compenent of the SDK, and it requires visual studio according to other devs for it to be realized, but you can't even install the SDK if you dont have visual studio in the first place. This is an infinite loop of requirement complaints. Going to try re-installing everything and see what happens when I change the order.

Roa

Yeah, I'm getting a bit frustrated, it just outright doesn't work. I copy the directory name directly into the bar,cant find it, now that I installed visual studio 14, cant find it. Game maker cant find anything. Do I have to use a specific version? Like, cannot I not just expect the latest versions to work?

helpleo

@Lonewolff
Yeah, I tried the 8.1 adress, no no avail; my laptop is a recent buy, so it came with Windows 10 out of the box, and I could not find a link to download the 8.1 SDK (and I worry it would conflict with the 10 SDK I have installed)

@ Roa
I reinstalled everything (SDK and Visual Studio) before even turning GM on; I installed the SDK before VS, but didnot have any trouble in that, tho. My guess is that there still isn't any support for Windows 10 for YYC, as it was when a new update was introduced and made the compiler not work anymore (I believed it was in March). It would be nice someone from YoYo came and just tell us what is going on; I mean, the regular Windows still work, but it feels wasteful not to use Game Maker to its full potential (also, 4 minute compile times are drilling a hole into my very soul :( ).

G

grixm

Bump, I guess?
So did you change the VS directory to Visual Studio 2012, not 2015?

I have windows 10 and too can confirm that YYC definitely works. However VS 14/2015 is afaik still not supported.

Last edited by a moderator:
you need to be running windows 10

the yyc module does not work on the stable version, only the most recent early access and at least for me i have not been able to compile a game which doesnt crash immediately on start up (even when its just one room with one object and a sprite of a circle)

dont know whats going on or why but i have been so bogged down i have not been able to address this fully but their is something really screwed up with the current yyc uwp module and for the live of me i cant figure out what im doing wrong because i have tried following the tutorial to the letter and reinstalled everything at least 3 times now.

and yes the yyc module does work on early access as far as getting it to link up and compile everything together, but at the same time both yyc and non yyc crash on early access on 1.99.493 for me so the issue is more complicated.

Carnivius

I have windows 10 64-bit and GMS V1.4.1757 and after finally downloading the correct visual studio thingy the Yoyo compiler has been working fine for me. :)

D

Drewster

I have windows 10 64-bit and GMS V1.4.1757 and after finally downloading the correct visual studio thingy the Yoyo compiler has been working fine for me. :)
Which one are you calling the "correct visual studio thingy"?
Since upgrading to Windows 10 mine hasn't worked either. I haven't had a driving need to make it work yet, but I would like to get it working as well.

G

grixm

lonewolff, for me it has not, if it has worked for you please i implore you tell me how because it would be a god send

when i try to use the yyc uwp module i keep getting a "link" error and i have tried despiritely to fix it.

W

Wraithious

as far as I can see you need visual studio 2013 which is version 11.0

helpleo

Hey everyone! I used grixm method and it worked! It was a bit counter-intuitive to use old versions of the SDK and VS for getting it to work on Windows 10, but regardless, that method was effective.

...sadly I haven't seen anyf improvement over compile times using the YYC; the time taken to load the game remain pretty much the same as using the regular Windows compile. Not only that, but using the YYC actually glitched, making my player character stuck without moving in the screen (my game is mostly single-screen, so I have clamps to stop him from leaving the edges of the screen - that might be the reason for this particular issue, but no way I am changing my codebase because of that).

The YYC might be useful, though, for people with less bloated projects than mine (that has more than 40k lines of code and over 600 unique objects), but I can't see any advantage to me as of now, specially seeing how it can bug areas of my project that are working right now.

F

Fisshy

I really wished that worked for me. I tried installing the SDK and VS that @grixm suggested, but in the SDK there's no "Include" folder.
The screenshot below is the contents of my 8.1 dir.

This second image is of my 8.0 dir, which doesn't work by the way. It keeps saying gamename.manifest is missing and "link : fatal error lnk1181: cannot open input file 'wininet.lib' "

After about 6 hours of hassle, I had to get one of my laptops with win7 and install everything just to compile it with YYC, and it was no problem at all.

I really wish there were a working solution for me out there, but I can't seem to find one.

G

grixm

I really wished that worked for me. I tried installing the SDK and VS that @grixm suggested, but in the SDK there's no "Include" folder.
The screenshot below is the contents of my 8.1 dir.

This second image is of my 8.0 dir, which doesn't work by the way. It keeps saying gamename.manifest is missing and "link : fatal error lnk1181: cannot open input file 'wininet.lib' "

After about 6 hours of hassle, I had to get one of my laptops with win7 and install everything just to compile it with YYC, and it was no problem at all.

I really wish there were a working solution for me out there, but I can't seem to find one.
When installing the SDK, are you positive you selected all the necessary options in the installer? At least on the win 10 sdk there is a bunch of check boxes with different modules of the SDK, like licensing tools and debuggers (which it looks like you checked as there is a debuggers folder there). You can try again and check all the check boxes to be sure, then there should be an include folder. Here's how mine looks: http://i.imgur.com/Yihf6JJ.png

I'm having the same problem. I downloaded the links from grimx, but no luck... I don't see a 2013 folder, it seemed to create a 2012 folder. Also my computer crashes when trying to compile, making testing this annoying. My windows 10 updated 3 days ago btw. Does attempting this cause crashes for others?

F

Fisshy

When installing the SDK, are you positive you selected all the necessary options in the installer? At least on the win 10 sdk there is a bunch of check boxes with different modules of the SDK, like licensing tools and debuggers (which it looks like you checked as there is a debuggers folder there). You can try again and check all the check boxes to be sure, then there should be an include folder. Here's how mine looks: http://i.imgur.com/Yihf6JJ.png
I've tried everything from only selecting the SDK to selecting everything. Can you ZIP your folder and I'll just try to extract them to see if that'll work? I doubt it.. but hey, i'm desperate at this point :p

Edit: I completely uninstalled my .NET framework (all the versions I had), and now it will add the include folder, which is a step closer, but the include folder isn't complete, it's missing a tons of files (and folders) compared to 8.0, and it doesn't include windows.h either. :|

Last edited by a moderator:
G

grixm

I've tried everything from only selecting the SDK to selecting everything. Can you ZIP your folder and I'll just try to extract them to see if that'll work? I doubt it.. but hey, i'm desperate at this point :p
Here's my 8.1 kits folder: https://mega.nz/#!VUYj0apA!vcQ8aNdH0La5q3tthfKPIrIGdHvLtmzbgCBQ-T17Sms

It's compressed as 7-zip file because it saved over a hundred megabytes of space compared to zip, so you need 7-zip or another compression program that support 7z files to decompress it.

F

Fisshy

Here's my 8.1 kits folder: https://mega.nz/#!VUYj0apA!vcQ8aNdH0La5q3tthfKPIrIGdHvLtmzbgCBQ-T17Sms

It's compressed as 7-zip file because it saved over a hundred megabytes of space compared to zip, so you need 7-zip or another compression program that support 7z files to decompress it.
I can't believe it actually worked... At least I can run and compile the game using Windows YYC. You're a life saver. Now I just need to confirm it actually works for my friends.

10/10.

Morendral

I can't get this to work, no matter what I try. I've replaced the SDK folder contents with what grixm provided, tried every version of visual studio I could download and nothing. I'm still getting this error message when trying to compile.

I don't know if something is still incorrect as far as VS and the SDK, or if ini functions don't work like normal in the YYC

C:/Users/Matt/Documents/GameMaker/Cache/00 hexagonal 4x game - good engine/Default/Scripts/gml_Script_sControllerInitialProfilesystem.gml.cpp:36:16: error: no matching function for call to 'YYGML_ini_read_real'
global_profile=YYGML_ini_read_real(g_pString3467_151,g_pString3468_151,g_pString3469_151);
^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\gamemaker_studio\YYC\include\YYGML.h:151:18: note: candidate function not viable: no known conversion from 'char [1]' to 'double' for 3rd argument
YYCEXTERN double YYGML_ini_read_real( const char* _pSection, const char* _pKey, double _default);
^
1 error generated.
linking _00_hexagonal_4x_game___good_engine.exe
Microsoft (R) Windows (R) Resource Compiler Version 6.3.9600.17336
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'C:\Users\Matt\Documents\GameMaker\Cache\00 hexagonal 4x game - good engine\Default\Scripts\Release\x86\gml_Script_sControllerInitialProfilesystem.gml.o'
C:\Users\Matt\AppData\Local\gm_ttt_66122\gm_ttt_24284\_00_hexagonal_4x_game___good_engine.manifest : general error c1010070: Failed to load and parse the manifest. The system cannot find the file specified.
Stats : GMA : Elapsed=2271.9472
Stats : GMA : sp=55,au=0,bk=0,pt=3,sc=153,sh=0,fo=11,tl=0,ob=6,ro=2,da=0,ex=1,ma=1,fm=0x4FFC2A30
Create finished: 10:32:07 AM

Edit:
I fixed this issue. It was trying to access an old outdated script that was still in the resource tree. YYC on windows is working for me

Last edited:

Fru

Thanks ever so much grixm, this fixed it for me too.

I was getting compiler errors "gamemaker fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file" etc..

I was using Visual Studio 14, but it seems YYC doesn't like that. I installed Visual Studio 12 via your link (alongside VS 14) and it's now working OK.

Great stuff! :)