• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Yoyo vs Steam

J

JayR

I'm planning on purchasing GM2. I noticed it's slightly cheaper on Steam due to the summer sale.

I'd like to know what is the differences if I was to get it from either of the stores?

A

Austin Scola

I heard of people having problems with buying it from steam actually. Didn't download properly or something.

J

JayR

None. You can buy it from Steam, link your Steam account to your YYG account, download GMS2 directly from YYG, and use it without Steam:

https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/216757298-Using-Your-YoYo-Account-With-Steam

The price difference relates to some esoteric business agreement between YYG and Steam, not to any kind of different versions (there's only one version).
Managed to buy it and linked it to my YYG account.

Question: I have to always be online to use GM2?

J

JayR

no, only once a month (to renew your credential, by relogin in to your yoyogames account - just check the keep me logged box in the login screen)
Weird.. Cos I went down to my local coffeeshop and when I opened GM2 it threw me a popup stating remote name could not be resolved: 'account.yoyogames.com'

sylvain_l

you are using the last version ? (2.0.7.171 )
cause one of the previous had a bug preventing starting offline -_-'

J

JayR

you are using the last version ? (2.0.7.171 )
cause one of the previous had a bug preventing starting offline -_-'
Yeap. In the About, I'm on IDE Version: 2.0.7.171 & Current Runtime 2.0.7.110

sylvain_l

:-/ sorry can't help you. I never had any logging issue with that last version (but if I remember right your error was the kind I got with the bugged login 2.0.6.136)

J

JayR

:-/ sorry can't help you. I never had any logging issue with that last version (but if I remember right your error was the kind I got with the bugged login 2.0.6.136)
Ahh no worries about it. I'm sure Yoyo is working on it as we speak. This new IDE is really getting me high...

zbox

GMC Elder
One difference: you won't see some assets on the steam version's marketplace (including mine)

~40% cut that happens on the steam version n ain't doing it unfortunately :p

J

JayR

But if I follow what @Justice said, after buying it off Steam and then downloading it through YYG will I then be able to see those assets?