OFFICIAL YoYo Games Is Now Part Of Opera

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
We’ve got some big news! YoYo Games is now part of Opera - the global web innovator and creator of Opera GX - Opera GX is a browser built for gamers. With features that include countless customization options, sound effects, background music, a gaming-inspired design, as well as CPU, RAM and Network Bandwidth limiters GX is less resource-hungry and leaves more of the computer’s resources for gaming. Beyond gaming, Opera’s browsers, news products and fintech solutions are the trusted choice of more than 380 million users worldwide, so we’re in great hands!

Today’s news signals the start of an exciting new journey. One that we believe will unlock many exciting possibilities for developers and educators. YoYo Games’ will continue to be based in Dundee, Scotland and General Manager Stuart Poole and Technical Lead Russell Kay will both remain with the business.

Looking forward, Opera has big plans for YoYo Games and GameMaker. Together with Opera GX, GameMaker will form the cornerstone of Opera Gaming - a new division focused on expanding Opera’s reach and capabilities within the gaming space.

“We are very excited to start working with the team at YoYo Games,” said Krystian Kolondra, EVP Browsers at Opera. “We see the platform as being an ideal acquisition to complement our global ambitions in gaming, along with our Opera GX gaming browser. We look forward to further growing Opera GX and to driving the growth of GameMaker, making it more accessible to novice users and developing it into the world’s leading 2D game engine used by commercial studios. We are also thrilled to find future synergies between YoYo Games’ products and Opera GX.”

Stuart Poole, General Manager of YoYo Games said, “It’s been clear to us from the first time we spoke to them that the whole of the team at Opera is incredibly passionate about games. Since joining them last week, the positivity and creative energy we are seeing from them has been overwhelming. We have always had big plans for improving GameMaker across all platforms, both from the perspective of improving accessibility and further developing the features available to commercial studios; and now we can’t wait to see them arrive much sooner.”

We are all massively enthusiastic about the future of GameMaker!

Last edited:

Mr Magnus

Viking King
As a professional web developer with mixed experiences working with Opera I'm very interested to see what will come of this, but great news. Hopefully this will only lead to great things for GameMaker and YoYoGames. Congratulations to those involved.

RujiK

I'm sure it's way too soon to ask, but I would love to see the buyer's specific plans for the future. I know "become the best 2d engine" is up there, but I would like to see their planned technical path to achieve this.

Hopefully Opera's communication style is much more open than Playtech's was.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
Hopefully they wont force Opera Down our throats to continue using GameMaker, as Evil as they are I prefer Google and chrome as my internet source

And to quote myself on my profile post
I hope that the new corporate buyers, allows yoyo to be a publisher for indies again, it would be a huge help to the just starting guys to sell there first game

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
Not that it guarantees anything, but my doubts will be lessened when I see an updated roadmap for the rest of 2021. Until then, for all we know they are going to turn it into an HTML5 engine with desktop wrappers. I'm not being negative...just that we really don't know yet what is going to happen.

I DO have high hopes though...as someone mentioned elsewhere, $10M is no small number...unless you are someone like Adobe snuffing competition(which Opera is not), you don't generally purchase something like Yoyogames unless you plan to use it. Don't be surprised if the HTML5 export starts getting more love, and if it starts getting internal optimizations for their gaming browser.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
Tying the fate of GM with the beta variant of a browser that doesn't even have 3% market share (source: statcounter, December 2020) just doesn't sit right with me.

I'll keep monitoring the situation for a few months, but I'm not pep rally material. At this point, I'm prepared to pull the plug on GM for career and continuity reasons.
This is the more correct and professional way to think about it honestly. We aren't cutting ties just yet, but we are prepared to jump ship if the need arises.

Despite how long some of these tools have lasted(and by extension how long some of us have been using them), tools should always be considered a temporary thing. They come and go, phase out, get replaced by better options. The people who don't prepare for this to happen are the ones who get left behind. It technically applies to ANY field/occupation, and even any hobby...but with technology it's even faster.

Japster

Maybe I'm just too old, but my philosophy is the tired old one - it it ain't broke..... ...So, yeah, I'm hoping it's left well alone, unless it's for enhancements that benefit the buyers, or optional plug-ins for Opera's Gaming Browser targeting (NOT wrapper-based targeting for all targets - I would definitely be OUT on that)...

I raised a similar point to @FrostyCat's in chat, which is:- If the new owners are Opera, and they're betting it all on 'gaming browser' given their 3% M.S., then if it flops, well...

It's a lot of 'if's, but even Google are guilty of killing off some seriously good services and products (Picasa (just awesome tool, at least you can still download it!), Music, Plus, Hangouts, etc, etc) seemingly on a whim, so even acquisition by a well-known big player isn't necessarily better...

Here's hoping...

Zhanghua

Congratulations!
And I hope yoyo to refine the login and rss service for China...
For some reason, we would stick on the login ui for a long time.
And also the delay of the macketplace is an issue.

Last edited:

Cpaz

I have my reservations on this whole ordeal, but I'm pretty sure this will be a step up from playtech. Especially when it seems that they were sold off after 2.3 wasn't as lucrative as they wanted (not saying that's what happened, but the timing raises some eyebrows).

Mind you, that isn't saying much, but to echo other sentiments, I'm cautiously optimistic.

Many have shared their issues with Opera as a company and I'm very much inclined to join them. Ultimately, I'll be watching and listening closely, because it seems like Opera actually wants to go all in with GM, which is promising at least.

RujiK

I've seen several comments about Opera's gaming browser "GX" and html5. OPERA GX DOES NOT FOCUS ON IN-BROWSER (html5) GAMING. It's a browser made to appeal to traditional gamers.

If you actually look at their website: https://www.opera.com/gx You'll notice it does not mention html5 or in-browser gaming even once. I don't see any evidence that opera is investing into html5 games, or that it wants to make yoyo focus on them.

Kezarus

Endless Game Maker
May GM thrive and prosper. That this amazing 2D Engine gets more stable and robust for us to continue out Indie Game Dev journey with them.

That said I'm a little too stressed out about this aquisition. But it's very good to hear that everyone is safe and sound at YoYo.

Tying the fate of GM with the beta variant of a browser that doesn't even have 3% market share (source: statcounter, December 2020) just doesn't sit right with me.
That was the very first thing I search about Opera when I first knew about this aquisition. It is a sneeze away from not being used anymore and that's worrysome.

Ultimately, I'll be watching and listening closely, because it seems like Opera actually wants to go all in with GM, which is promising at least.
So do I. But I'm a pessimist and had very bad experiences with aquisitions. I'm rooting for GM, but I will also be prepared for the worst as usual.

Ricardo

for all we know they are going to turn it into an HTML5 engine with desktop wrappers. I'm not being negative...just that we really don't know yet what is going to happen.
You are right when you say we don't know what's going to happen, but the idea they'll turn GMS into a HTML5 engine with desktop wrappers is extremely unlikely and disconnected from the market reality IMO. At best the HTML5 export module will get some (needed) love and maybe some integrations with online services that make sense for Opera's business.

Director_X

Welcome Opera!

Some things of note:
- With Browser based games, please do NOT riddle them with background scripts, analytics, and sniffers (aka google, akamaihd, etc). Purchasers of games expect TRUST from us developers, and we certainly do not wish to add spyware in our "blood sweat and tears" creations. We create games because we are passionate about game design. Some of us have been here since GM was just an experimental software!

- Now that the games industry is surpassing the hollywood film industry in terms of income, browser games are not the only marketplaces. Please do not forget development of other cross-platform outputs, eg Xbox/UWP, PS, Nintendo consoles, PC, Mac, Linux desktops (Steam), mobile and tablets, etc. Half of us have licenses to develop for these platforms - please let us trailblaze. :)

- Please enable us the ability to work offline. Just check for connection when we first install on a machine for license verification, and then that should be it. This constant requirement for "internet connection" is painful for some. Thanks.

Let us hope that this is a start of a beautiful relationship! :)

Last edited:

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
Maybe I'm just too old, but my philosophy is the tired old one - it it ain't broke..... ...So, yeah, I'm hoping it's left well alone, unless it's for enhancements that benefit the buyers, or optional plug-ins for Opera's Gaming Browser targeting (NOT wrapper-based targeting for all targets - I would definitely be OUT on that)...

I raised a similar point to @FrostyCat's in chat, which is:- If the new owners are Opera, and they're betting it all on 'gaming browser' given their 3% M.S., then if it flops, well...

It's a lot of 'if's, but even Google are guilty of killing off some seriously good services and products (Picasa (just awesome tool, at least you can still download it!), Music, Plus, Hangouts, etc, etc) seemingly on a whim, so even acquisition by a well-known big player isn't necessarily better...

Here's hoping...
Indeed, and this is what worries me. It's the simple anxiety of not knowing their intentions, and that even with good intentions things don't always work out.

I've seen several comments about Opera's gaming browser "GX" and html5. OPERA GX DOES NOT FOCUS ON IN-BROWSER (html5) GAMING. It's a browser made to appeal to traditional gamers.

If you actually look at their website: https://www.opera.com/gx You'll notice it does not mention html5 or in-browser gaming even once. I don't see any evidence that opera is investing into html5 games, or that it wants to make yoyo focus on them.
This is a good point., but...........
Opera acquired YoYo Games from Playtech in January 2021 for US$10 million, from which the company also announced the launch of its Opera Gaming division to promote game development within the Opera GX browser with YoYo Games and its GameMaker game development software.[48]
However, I found that quote on wikipedia(no guarantee of accuracy of course). Does that mean they want to turn GMS into a web app now?!?! Like all of this, the reality is we just don't know. Remember though that Opera also offers their primary browser, so the points about HTML5 getting love are still valid(though not necessarily accurate).

That was the very first thing I search about Opera when I first knew about this aquisition. It is a sneeze away from not being used anymore and that's worrysome.
1. Their gaming browser doesn't seem to be their main thing. They still have the Opera browser, which ALSO has a pretty low market share :) . The funny thing is that I'm seeing numbers for what the company is worth but their website doesn't seem to say exactly what they do or how they make any money, besides the browser itself, which is free last I heard, although there is slight mention of a little content providing(news or something).

2. I'm assuming Opera is trying to expand. Whether it's with turning GMS into a webapp, or simply getting into the booming gaming industry, we still don't know, nor do we know how it will turn out.

You are right when you say we don't know what's going to happen, but the idea they'll turn GMS into a HTML5 engine with desktop wrappers is extremely unlikely and disconnected from the market reality IMO. At best the HTML5 export module will get some (needed) love and maybe some integrations with online services that make sense for Opera's business.
I agree that they idea is farfetched...although it wouldn't be the first 2d game engine to do it. I don't see it happening either, but I didn't expect Construct to do it either.

rmanthorp

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
I totally understand some worries here but I want to assure you all. Opera has really been great so far. They already committed to things like improving the Marketplace and they fully understand that our audience covers professional developers bringing big games to console. However, they are very aware of the entry-level users and they want to work lowering the barrier even more for the new developers out there. They seem to be saying (and doing) all the right thing. We're also looking to expand our tutorials/demos and learning content. It's all moving fast! :)

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
Opera has really been great so far. They already committed to things like improving the Marketplace and they understand our audience covers professional developers bringing big games to console. However, they are very aware of the entry-level users and they want to work lowering the barrier even more for the new developers out there. They seem to be saying (and doing) all the right thing. We're also looking to expand our tutorials/demos and learning content. It's all moving fast! :)
Can you remind them of the IDE plugin feature? :)

Seriously though, I bet if you just update the roadmap for the rest of the year we will see that at the least the intentions are there, which would kill most of the anxiety.

@kburkhart84, ow, maybe I wasn't very specific, but Opera usage is less than 3%. And Frosty's link above confirm that the market share is abysmally low. I'm not even talking about their "gaming browser", it's their main asset. 😅

I really hope that Opera hop in the gaming wagon band. This industry revenue already trampled Movie and Music industry COMBINED! Go Games! o/
Gotcha...I know their share is so low in that market, which is what led me to try to figure out exactly what the heck they do to make money. And yes, GO GAMING!!!!

Bart

WiseBart
Congratulations!
It's an interesting evolution that I didn't see coming.

GameMaker has evolved quite a bit throughout the years and I'm quite curious to see what direction it will take from here on (been using it regularly myself since the early 2000s). From what I've been reading so far it looks pretty good.
I do think that if approached the right way this can well become that next big leap for GM.

I guess we'll see :)

P

ParodyKnaveBob

Quotes I'm glad to see:
to driving the growth of GameMaker, making it more accessible to novice users
We've all seen the freemium model change for GM(S) through the years, and although some agree with it, others don't. I for one find the change limiting; for one example, my sister wants to get into things, but between GMS 1.4's technical limits and GMS 2.3's time limits, she prefers to learn from my license, which for the foreseeable future means her using my laptop if/when it's available; so far, she and my laptop haven't had time together aside from a short stint in 2019 (partly due to my laptop being down for the majority of 2020).
We have always had big plans for improving GameMaker across all platforms, both from the perspective of improving accessibility and further developing the features available to commercial studios; and now we can’t wait to see them arrive much sooner.
Read between press release lines, folks. $;^ J
We have always had plans that Playtech constantly stifled, and now we can't wait to see actual fruition.
As I said on @RujiK's profile thread, I never did like the Playtech acquisition in the first place. GM went from forbidding gambling in the EULA to being owned by a gambling company. How much loyalty does one even expect from a megacorp gambling company? About as much as a high roller having chips on the table? Beyond that, we saw how communication clamped down hard immediately afterward; EVERYthing became a :squirrel:; EVERYthing became, oh gee shucks whillikers, we'd love to tell everyone about XYZ, but we have to follow different rules now. I look forward to the new relationship.

@kburkhart84: Afaik, Opera gets money from licensing their browser. With all the smart phone talk, people forget that the itty bitty tiny phones need itty bitty tiny browsers. I've seen Opera at work on a little flip phone, giving options between more limited usage with simpler rendering, or more "modern" usage via clicking pre-rendered images of full pages. Pretty neat, and a niche I don't see Microsoft, Mozilla, Google, Apple, etc. filling.

Regards, $:^ ]

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Does that mean they want to turn GMS into a web app now?!?!
Just a little side note... GameMaker Studio was originally meant to be an in-browser app. :) It wasn't really viable, but it's not a new idea from Opera, as it was part of the original plans when GM8.1 was transitioned into GM:HTML5. It might be more viable now with things like WASM. ;)

However, I honestly doubt that any such thing will happen, and I am actually unreasonably optimistic for the future of GM given the little information we have. PlayTech was never a good match for YYG as it was just too big a company to give any attention or love to YYG or GameMaker. Opera are a smaller company who are more than likely much more aware of the needs of YYG and much more willing to help both them and GameMaker grow. I mean, short-term I don't see too much changing, but give it six months or so and I expect we'll start to see some interesting developments (licenses, marketplace, new features, etc...).

So, yeah, I think this is great news and I'm really happy for everyone at YYG!!!

ChrisC

Opera...oh I see whats going on! No gniog stahw ees I ho...Apero

S A T O R
A R E P O
T E N E T
O P E R A
R O T A S

Well worth it if they help Yoyo and Gamemaker. Not sure what they will do with the marketplace, but new licensing direction and faster feature development is awesome.

I totally understand some worries here but I want to assure you all. Opera has really been great so far. They already committed to things like improving the Marketplace and they fully understand that our audience covers professional developers bringing big games to console. However, they are very aware of the entry-level users and they want to work lowering the barrier even more for the new developers out there. They seem to be saying (and doing) all the right thing. We're also looking to expand our tutorials/demos and learning content. It's all moving fast! :)
Still my beating heart.

❤

My first reaction to the rumour was positive, and seeing the statements from both parties, I have to agree with those being optimistic about the future development. Reading between the lines, it sounds like Opera will be an owner that actually understands and is passionate about the product (or what the product can be with even more love and resources), and thus will do what they can to help YYG and GameMaker grow, bringing their own expertise and resources to build an even better and more user friendly tool and environment around it. I guess with time this might bring some kind of Opera flavour to the whole experience, which could have upsides and downsides, but I don't imagine them doing anything like exclusively tying GM to a tiny browser userbase. Gearing more towards novices again sounds like a good idea, as this always was one of GM's absolute strengths.

Like others have expressed, Playtech really didn't seem like a natural or meaningful fit, so I'm happy/hopeful to see the start of a new chapter for YYG/GM. While it's probably not at all comparable, this reminds me more of back when GM first became a YYG product, which brought great things with it.

Obviously, I can only speculate, and could be wrong, but I'm optimistic🤞

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
From the beginning I thought it might be a good thing, because the way it was with Playtech, it didn't look very pleasant to my eyes. But I'll be very happy if they really keep Game Maker Studio 2 as an app that you download rather than rewrite it and use it on the web like Construct 3. In my opinion, they should improve this Marketing strategy more, show images like this can be a little disappointing for inexperienced people who are starting now towards the game development (further using DnD), as they will think that it is easily possible to make games like this (which are usually AAA or almost), since this is just a rendered sprite and not 3D (besides that the 3D functionality of GM is limited and is not the focus). Many games made in Game Maker are focused on low resolution (although there are MANY that are with large sprites, and others.). YYG could include on the homepage itself great games made in GM, mix between pixel art games and 2D games with "traditional" art. Besides that they should use a more ambiguous term, saying that Game Maker Studio 2 is focused on "easy programming" or that you "don't need to know how to program" can keep developers/companies that are medium or large from wanting to use GMS 2 professionally (Obviously, people who already know GM know its potential, but new people may doubt it). The wikipedia page is out of date and shows old things, GM now has functions and this must be recognized!. Besides, there is no wiki page for version 2, only for 1.4. It may not seem like it, but a Wikipedia page can give a program a lot of value, as it is one of the first things the search result shows about.
I fully agree that it is necessary to improve the tutorials that are provided for new users, I had downloaded some original YYG tutorials and I particularly found that new users may have difficulty understanding, because they are not very organized... (and maybe even a little bit difficult to expand). I downloaded a platformer in the past that the codes had messy comments, codes a bit poorly formatted, that's not a good thing. But of course it can be improved, I would love to help and contribute tutorials if possible. However, as I make my own assets, they can help too. But anyway, they should also improve the way they advertise Game Maker, I’ve seen YYG ads of GMS 2 on Facebook and Instagram and I think it doesn't draw much attention. The Space Rocks tutorial is great for beginners, but that doesn't attract attention... They could include games already made at GM, like Undertale and Hotline Miami, since many people are fans and may want to use GMS 2 to make a game like. I'm looking forward to seeing how much GMS 2 and YYG can grow up (economically and recognition).

Last edited:

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
since this is just a rendered sprite and not 3D
It doesn't look like a pre-rendered thing to me, it looks like it was created with traditional 2d workflows, basically a huge pixel art sprite.

I agree with the rest of your points though. And hopefully Opera does indeed invest effort into us instead of just letting it kinda stifle out.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
It was just an example, after all it is a sprite made by an experienced professional ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Indeed, just that the sprite didn't look like it was pre-rendered to me. Don't mind me, I'm just being chatty :)

One thing that is also true though, they have to show the good stuff, even if new people can't make them right away. If they advertised using crappier games and ugly sprites, people would think that it was all it can do. That's also a formula for losing sales.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

The wikipedia page is out of date and shows old things,
YYG can't do anything about that... they aren't allowed. Pretty sure companies can't edit their own pages to try and keep the information unbiased (it doesn't work, but I know that when YYG tried to edit that page before there was always issues).

I fully agree that it is necessary to improve the tutorials that are provided for new users,
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised on that front... ;)

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
Indeed, just that the sprite didn't look like it was pre-rendered to me. Don't mind me, I'm just being chatty :)

One thing that is also true though, they have to show the good stuff, even if new people can't make them right away. If they advertised using crappier games and ugly sprites, people would think that it was all it can do. That's also a formula for losing sales.
Yes, of course, beautiful sprites, like these:

(I don't know if they were made at GM, but it's just an example)

I referred to that sprite specifically

YYG can't do anything about that... they aren't allowed. Pretty sure companies can't edit their own pages to try and keep the information unbiased (it doesn't work, but I know that when YYG tried to edit that page before there was always issues).
This explains why some people were banned 😆

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised on that front... ;)
censors username but not a user using the username

jonjons

Honestly... i no longer understand this guys 🤔. The 2 badBoys launched a sekeleton animation editor in 2018/19 with mesh deformation.
And every year GMS launches a party :banana: "yoyo got sold to playtech" :banana:"yoyo got sold to opera" :banana:
there is no actually worry about updating the engine...

I'm cautiously optimistic, if only because Playtech was one of the worst fits as a parent for a (non-gambling) gaming company.

Honestly... i no longer understand this guys 🤔. The 2 badBoys launched a sekeleton animation editor in 2018/19 with mesh deformation.
And every year GMS launches a party :banana: "yoyo got sold to playtech" :banana:"yoyo got sold to opera" :banana:
The Playtech buyout happened six years ago. Many of the "parties" since then have been warranted. Were you here last year when GMS2.3 came out and brought tons upon tons of new, long-awaited engine updates and features? When GMS2 finally got a Switch export module? When GMS2 could finally export to ARMv7 Linux devices (e.g. Raspberry Pi)? I'm sure other engine updates and new features are well in the works. I do agree with you in that improving skeleton support more is vital.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
Yeah, you seem to be out of touch. Not only are you grossly exaggerating, but you would be wrong about the engine not getting updated. I agree that the updates aren't happening as fast as I would like, and they haven't done what I really want them to do(like unifying the input system, and the IDE plugin system, and better particle system stuff), but in way can I say that updates haven't happened, nor can I say that the updates haven't been useful.

Amon

The business modal is a problem here. Playtech couldn't deal with it and started haemorrhaging money, so they sold it to Opera. I fear that Opera will encounter the same problem. This, 'forget it and sell it' scenario is worrying because in all the decades I've witnessed this happen, it has always ended up with disaster with the product being left to rot until it disappears.

I wish I was more optimistic but again, past experience from witnessing things like this it has never gone in favour of the product.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
The business modal is a problem here. Playtech couldn't deal with it and started haemorrhaging money, so they sold it to Opera. I fear that Opera will encounter the same problem. This, 'forget it and sell it' scenario is worrying because in all the decades I've witnessed this happen, it has always ended up with disaster with the product being left to rot until it disappears.

I wish I was more optimistic but again, past experience from witnessing things like this it has never gone in favour of the product.
This is why I'm hopeful but weary, and not counting on the success until I see it. I'll keep working with the software as usual, with the caveat that I'm ready to move elsewhere if needed. Nothing changes really though, because I'm always in that state, ready to switch tools as needed.

Kezarus

Endless Game Maker
This is why I'm hopeful but weary, and not counting on the success until I see it. I'll keep working with the software as usual, with the caveat that I'm ready to move elsewhere if needed. Nothing changes really though, because I'm always in that state, ready to switch tools as needed.
I, for one, would hate do switch tools mid-project and have to transcribe all assets and scripts to a new engine. But I can do that if needed. Me and my brother already decided for a new tool today if things go south.

It's good to see so many optimistic people about it though. I really hope GM changes for the best and start to take off, like, BIG TIME. And sure as hell I don't want to see the sh'tshow of aquisitions and merges that I saw in the past happening here. Time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.