• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Your top five releases of 2016

JackTurbo

What with a new year ahead of us, I've been thinking about 2016 and my favourite games of last year and thought this might make a good thread.

My top five would be:
  • Seasons After Fall
  • Darkest Dungeon
  • The Banner Saga 2
  • Hyperlight Drifter
  • Xcom 2
What was all of yours?

DeScruff

Ooo those are good ones! Mine would be...
  • Darkest Dungeon
  • VA-11 HALL-A
  • Shantae: Half-Genie Hero
  • Super Hot
  • Shin Megami Tensei IV Apocalypse
Its weird, a couple of games I was gonna list I bought in 2016, but actually came out in late 2015.

F

fxokz

• INSIDE
  • Overwatch
  • The Last Guardian
  • Battlefield 1
  • Uncharted 4
another great 2016 game: Darkest Dungeons

Jabbers

Civilization VI was the only highlight for me, but I can't say I played a lot of new games this year.

Carnivius

Uncharted 4 (became my fave game ever & i have played the multiplayer almost every day since release)
Ratchet & Clank (fine reboot)
Street Fighter V (troubled release but still the most fun I've had with a fighting game for past couple years)
Exile's End (Amiga-esque platform shooter that I later found out I had been one of the inspirations for)
Stories: The Path of Destines (really charming game with a simple and effective combat system and I got it for free on PS Plus)

JackTurbo

Its weird, a couple of games I was gonna list I bought in 2016, but actually came out in late 2015.
A lot of the games I've enjoyed and played the most this year were older ones that I only got round to playing recently too. Witcher 3, Ori and the Blind Forrest and Gunpoint for example.

R

Rusty

I've got the same problems as the others here I'm afraid, there are only three games I enjoyed really and I'm pretty sure they all arrived on PC in 2015.
- 30-Sep X-Com: 2 (Console Release)
- 04-Oct Vermintide (Console Release)
- 18-Oct Mordheim: City of the Damned (Console Release)

The sales on xBox introduced me to Payday 2 and Games with Gold got me playing Burnout: Paradise which is an old game I missed out on due to my general aversion to racing games. I'm somewhat excited to play Telltale Games' Batman and new Walking Dead series as well as the new Dead Rising 4 but I generally haven't gotten around to them yet.

Overall I got some decent games but a lot of the titles I was excited for either got cancelled postponed or were getting released next year anyway. 2016 hasn't been a great gaming year.

Edit:
I can't count.

Gamer (ex-Cantavanda)

〜Flower Prince〜
Resident Evil 4 - Steam release
FINAL FANTASY X HD Remaster - Steam release
Princess Maker 2 - Steam release

And I don't think I've played any other games released in 2016, but I will play Pokémon Sun and Moon later.
And for the rest I played DARK SOULS and completed it 100%, Goat Simulator and Bioshock infinite.

And those were the only six games I've played in 2016, not much games, but lots of hours on those games. Quality over Quantity with me haha.

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
My favorite games from 2016 are all browser games. Not surprising, since I only play browser games. I have no idea when these were released, but I played them last year.

Wonderputt
I'm not a real-life golfer, but this mini-putt game is fun. Beautifully made. The golf mechanics are OK, but the real appeal to me is the 3D artwork.

Contre Jour
Basically a cut-the-rope game, with some mechanics elements of those merge-the-blob games. More sophisticated and stylish than the originals, IMO. The music and art are so relaxing, sometimes I listen without playing. Probably why I never finished.

10 Bullets
Lots of versions of these games around the net. Winning is more luck than skill (for me). But I like the chain reactions. Like watching nuclear fission in slow motion.

R

Rusty

Is Mordheim good? Its been on my wishlist for ages, but I've held off because it has such mixed reviews on steam.
If you've played the original Mordheim boardgame (I haven't) or the X-Com series (I have) and enjoyed it then Mordheim is definitely worth the purchase. The AI is a little basic, they seem to think that even the most fragile units are tanks and they don't really build their forces in a balanced or tactical way but the gameplay itself is pretty solid. For all the moaning of the reviewers, you don't have to even play against the AI either, you can play the entire campaign PvP (minus the story missions).

I think the biggest issue with the game is it's Warhammer world setting. Warhammer tends to be one of franchises that turns off a lot of people who don't collect the models, and the game doesn't tend to do much in terms of introducing the factions, stats and equipment properly. Coming into the game you're either a heavy reader, patient enough for trial and error with your first few runs or you're going to get frustrated quickly with not really knowing what you're doing (I didn't even realise there was a stats screen until half my starters were dead).

R

rougebare

I've only played two games i know for sure were released in 2016, Atlas Reactor (which is honestly my favourite game right now) and Overwatch (which while I do enjoy it, it's not exactly my cup of tea.)

Roa

My favorite games from 2016 are all browser games. Not surprising, since I only play browser games. I have no idea when these were released, but I played them last year.

Wonderputt
I'm not a real-life golfer, but this mini-putt game is fun. Beautifully made. The golf mechanics are OK, but the real appeal to me is the 3D artwork.

Contre Jour
Basically a cut-the-rope game, with some mechanics elements of those merge-the-blob games. More sophisticated and stylish than the originals, IMO. The music and art are so relaxing, sometimes I listen without playing. Probably why I never finished.

10 Bullets
Lots of versions of these games around the net. Winning is more luck than skill (for me). But I like the chain reactions. Like watching nuclear fission in slow motion.
Found the MAC user lmao

I haven't played a lot of new games in 2016 with school, but the ones I enjoyed the most are..

1. new DOOM
  2. Battlefield 1
  3. Bro Force
  4. Legend of GrimRock 2
  5. E.Y.E divine cybermancy

Y

Yacob

No game of 2016 enticed me whatsoever... :(
A typical year in my gaming life, I guess... lmao

11clock

Most games I play are at least a year old, so I really only have one favorite game of 2016.

-Enter the Gungeon

Easily in my top 5 games of all time. It is like Binding of Isaac, but doesn't try to be obnoxious every few seconds, and is way more about actual skill than luck. Its replay value isn't as strong as Isaac's but its gameplay blows Isaac out of the water. It also has a great co-op mode.