Your thoughts about ROBOTS in our future...

K12gamer

Robots seem to on the rise.
Nintendo was selling ROB for the NES way back in 1985.
SONY was selling the far more sophisticated $3000 Aibo Dog way back in 1999.

1626154654537.png 1626154497579.png

Fast forward to today and robots seem to have made the same generational leap as game consoles.
Just saw a Meet MOXY ad (See Video below). To me, the realism of the robot is a little creepy.
I'm kind of impressed with the A.I.,but it's probably heavily scripted for the ad.
Robots like this are super expensive $1500 + a $60 a month subscription fee. Who the heck can afford that???

Imagine every 10 years though, when the price goes way down, and robots keep getting 10x smarter, just like game consoles.
Kind of scary.

Gamebot

Robots are already in the work place have been for decades. I know in the late eighties early nineties I remember seeing a welder that welded large parts, was thrown into a robot car ( on rails ), cooled down in that car then would travel to another welder in a different location. These days of course all welders are grouped together and as such is pretty much loaded by hand and the welding robots do all the work.

This is how large companies "pick" your items from a warehouse also. See here:

and a better faster picker:

Iv'e worked with robots my whole life and one thing IS for sure. As many glitches, product variance and unforeseen events I DONT see them taking over as many of them struggle to do what there supposed to in the first place.

K12gamer

@Gamebot
They seem to be getting more impressive each year.
I wonder how many auto workers have lost jobs due to robots...
Then....................................................................Now
1626363263002.png 1626363335652.png

Here's an impressive Toy Robot video:
Note: I'd like a robot that connected to my PC and spoke / interacted / played co-op games with me.

Gamebot

hey seem to be getting more impressive each year.
I wonder how many auto workers have lost jobs due to robots...
Then....................................................................Now
Yes jobs will be lost especially in the "manufacturing" part. However, this should allow the ones left a significant raise, unless your company is being cheap....
Also better opportunity to move those manufacturing jobs to other parts such as inspectors and quality control.

This open up opportunity to understand Ladder Logic ( RS-Logix as an example ) and more persons to understand how to program and move robots , using a very similar 3D system with -X -Y, -Z, +X, +Y,+Z and an internal timer.

I do know they are more reliable now then in the past. Although, still not perfect I can recall in the late nineties they used a robot at a "BRAKE" machine which fabricates or "forms" metal pieces. One robot took the place of four persons. While the idea that the robot would be able to get each piece "perfect" every time, it was a disaster. The robot kept crashing for no reason and as with any raw steel didn't understand the minor differences in each piece. A human could easily differentiate each piece and run each slightly different to get the correct results.

Joe

I think of an event horizon as Ted Kaczynski described in "the industrial society and its future". We see tools of technology in front of us, like it makes our lives easier, but are we not becoming the tools ourselves for the technology we have created?

vdweller

I don't see robots taking over any time soon. The only thing that creates additional value (profit) is human labor. All else falls into the "means of production" category.

bill0287

I assume you mean the bi-pedal variety akin to iRobot. It'll happen - eventually. There's really no reason to think it won't.