• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Opinion Your replacement for "A Game Maker Like No Other. Eat. Sleep. Makegames. Repeat." ?

G

This has come up before as a footnote to larger criticisms of certain of YYG's design or marketing decisions, which have been hashed out thoroughly and shouldn't be revisited in this thread: GMS2's splash screen says:

A Game Maker...
LIKE NO OTHER
EAT. SLEEP. MAKEGAMES. REPEAT.

Because all right-thinking people agree that this is terrible, for many and obvious reasons, we should also not hash that out in this thread. Instead, the point of this thread is: What is your replacement for the splashscreen slogan?

My suggestion is: Nothing. The splash screen is already formed of two rectangles that aren't matched together. The top rectangle is the slogan, above, with a background; and the bottom rectangle is the GMS2 logo and some loading text; and the two appear to have been drawn next to each other by different people. My suggestion is to just cut off the top rectangle.

What's yours!

D

Dark

A Game Maker...
LIKE NO OTHER
SLEEP. REPEAT.

Or, at least that's what I wish GM would let me do.

Why is it terrible? Is it too hardcore? Maybe something like:

EAT. SLEEP. SPEND TIME WITH FAMILY AND FRIENDS. BATHE. BRUSH TEETH. CLEAN HOUSE. WALK THE DOG. GO TO WORK. PAY BILLS. DO ANYTHING ELSE YOU NEED OR WANT TO DO. MAKE GAMES. REPEAT.

...would be better? Seems a little wordy, though. :x

It's obsessive and encourages obesity.
It seems kind of tongue-in-cheek to me, though. I think most people who are serious about their game are going to relate to the catchphrase at least once in awhile. I don't think it's a literal endorsement of sitting in a chair doing gamedev for fifteen hours a day, haha!

Do you prefer my replacement? ;)

G

Guest User

why don't we just make it more to the point:
Code:
A Game Maker...
LIKE NO OTHER
EAT. SLEEP. MAKEGAMES. REPEAT.
v v v v v v v v v v v v v v v
Code:
EAT             GAMES.
Code:
       Make
     NO
                GAMES.
Code:
EAT.     P     E   E . REPEAT.
Code:
     NO
     SLEEP.
Code:
A   me M  e
LIKE NO OTHER
EA              GAMES.

G

I should acknowledge, for whoever did come up with this mistake, I have also written and proposed bad and embarrassing things in my life that I did not at the time realize were bad and embarrassing. But there is only one way ahead. Each day trying to cover up---to just bull through pretending that nothing is wrong---is just another day walking around with your fly open. It happens! Oops, public indecency! The only way ahead is to laugh, say "yeah, I did that thing, that embarrassing thing," and then zip up your fly and move on. We've all been there. It's not a black mark on YYG or the individual who came up with this mistake. It's just a mistake. And we'll all move on together. It'll be okay. It is okay. Except that it's not, and someone really just needs to sneak into the next patch and delete that 💩💩💩💩.

R

Rukiri

A Game maker that will pay your bills, make you a sandwich, procreate (if programmed to), and repeat.