• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Your Ideal Game

Zerb Games

This is not a game...

Essentially the idea is to try to explain your optimal game in bulleted 1-8 words or word combos (such as destructible environments), DO NOT use thing like: for playstation, for xbox, controller support, steam, or anything regarding hardware/platform. I am more focused on game play, mechanics, or style of game such as FPS, Platformer, Adventure, Puzzle, etc. Feel free to explain the words with a LITTLE context. If you want to explain more beyond the bulleted words make a spoiler, cause developers may be interested, I know I am.

My List:
-Game play-dynamics (screwing around, and different play each time, a million things to do)
-Shooting
-Interactive environments
-Difficult (not necessarily unfair)
-Customization
-Unlockables

Last edited:

Kepons

Lost The Bet
-Dwarf Fortress but with a better structured interface and without bugs, and with even more simulation.

Ehsan

Pirates vs Clones
- Extremely large Metroidvania like game
- Dark fantasy creatures
- 2D platformer
- Area uncovering as you go
- Basically Castlevania in a tight 2D graphics (either highly detailed pixel art or just 2D art) and extremely large map to uncover!
- Lazer guns.

Tthecreator

Your Creator!
If Feed The Beast and your generic addictive have to be on this everyday (like clash of clans and farmlife and whatever more you have....) series had a baby.....
Been wanting to do this idea for about a year now. But then I noticed I couldn't do it without a decent ui asset so set upon building one of those first, and here I am....still no game...

Changgi

My ideal game:
- arcade-styled
- infinite replay value
- gives you a sense of progression
- has a variety
- can be beaten
- can be played in 10-30 minutes

I think that's about it. The can be beaten part is probably less important since most of the games I play these days cannot and it's all about enjoyment when playing them, which is fine provided they have infinite replay value so you can always come back to them and won't feel bored because you've figured the game out already.

Also since I've had short breaks, I enjoy games that could be played within the 10-30-minute range. Any longer than that then I'll require the game to be able to save my progress whenever I want, cause you know the pain of not making it to the next save state.

My favourite games seem to all be shooters (Millipede, Beamrider and Omicron are my top Atari 2600 games and they're all shooters, 1 vertical, 1 vertical-ish and the other multi-directional), but that might be coincidental as I don't find shooters especially attractive per se when compared with other forms of arcade games.

Or maybe I actually do prefer shooters without knowing. It's just that I don't really feel an especial form of love for shooter games.

Sense of progression: I'd like to feel like I'm making progress instead of doing the same thing over and over, and Millipede introduces different bug swarms after certain levels (think of the Challenging Stages in Galaga) which is what I like about it over Centipede, which feels like I'm doing the same thing over and over without any progression.

Last edited:
My List:
-Something that surprises you / "Aha!" moments
-Requires intelligence to play well
-Good music (I like orchestral, in minor keys the most. My favorite stand alone soundtracks are "Secret of Mana" and "World of Goo")
-As long as possible. Even better, you think you've beaten the game and then you get one of those surprise moments and you have a bunch more to do.
-Offline and Single-player. I like multiplayer games, but I don't like games that require internet connection or friends quite as much.
-FREE. Lol, I'm partially kidding. I would pay for a good game, but free games are awesome.

Zerb Games

My ideal game:
- arcade-styled
- infinite replay value
- gives you a sense of progression
- has a variety
- can be beaten
- can be played in 10-30 minutes

I think that's about it. The can be beaten part is probably less important since most of the games I play these days cannot and it's all about enjoyment when playing them, which is fine provided they have infinite replay value so you can always come back to them and won't feel bored because you've figured the game out already.

Also since I've had short breaks, I enjoy games that could be played within the 10-30-minute range. Any longer than that then I'll require the game to be able to save my progress whenever I want, cause you know the pain of not making it to the next save state.

My favourite games seem to all be shooters (Millipede, Beamrider and Omicron are my top Atari 2600 games and they're all shooters, 1 vertical, 1 vertical-ish and the other multi-directional), but that might be coincidental as I don't find shooters especially attractive per se when compared with other forms of arcade games.

Or maybe I actually do prefer shooters without knowing. It's just that I don't really feel an especial form of love for shooter games.

Sense of progression: I'd like to feel like I'm making progress instead of doing the same thing over and over, and Millipede introduces different bug swarms after certain levels (think of the Challenging Stages in Galaga) which is what I like about it over Centipede, which feels like I'm doing the same thing over and over without any progression.
Just want to say this is what I was hoping people would post like. I think this ideal formula/game is overall very good!

I think this should be moved to the game design section. It's interesting to know what parts of a game are the most important to get right, and see examples of different kinds of audiences for games.

S

SyntheticStorm9

This is not a game...

Essentially the idea is to try to explain your optimal game in bulleted 1-8 words or word combos (such as destructible environments), DO NOT use thing like: for playstation, for xbox, controller support, steam, or anything regarding hardware/platform. I am more focused on game play, mechanics, or style of game such as FPS, Platformer, Adventure, Puzzle, etc. Feel free to explain the words with a LITTLE context. If you want to explain more beyond the bulleted words make a spoiler, cause developers may be interested, I know I am.

My List:
-Game play-dynamics (screwing around, and different play each time, a million things to do)
-Shooting
-Interactive environments
-Difficult (not necessarily unfair)
-Customization
-Unlockables
-pixel art(not retro! and not ugly.)
-collectable items
-custimizable
-openworld
-open to all playstyles

P

pepez8

Hello,i am just starting to get into programming,can you please tell me in what programming language do you program in game maker?

S

Stainless

Europa Universalis IV is my favorite game of all times. After playing it for more than thousand hours, don't even know what to add to make it better.

Zerb Games

Hello,i am just starting to get into programming,can you please tell me in what programming language do you program in game maker?
Not the place to ask... BUT, GML the GameMaker language, it's kinda like a very very light weight C#, kinda, not really.

U

UrbanM

This thread reminds me of this.
Oh, and as for my perfect game? All I want is Lylatwars/Starfox 64 with more levels.