• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Your gaming hot takes

ReignOnU

We are going to have another video game crash sometime in the future with all the garbage thats allowed to be made in 2 secs and advertised as the hot new game
Funnily enough, the games you linked seem to be higher quality than many of the games on steam and switch. And the irony is Nintendo is complicit in selling so many of these trash games on their eshop, even though Nintendo already experienced the game crash in the past and was the savior of it all.

To make matters worse, Xbox removed the "Community games" section on the store, so now all these bottom tier games have transplanted and show up in the main store search now.

And the new community games are such trash they make the old XBLIG look like top tier games.

Youtubers have way to much power over what game is "good" or bad
Correct. Although PewdiePie said that FlappyBirds was trash, but still made the dev one of the richest game dev's anyway. But yes a lot of these youtube reviews are questionable at best. I see some trash games getting 5 out of 5 stars. Probably paid reviews.

Another hot take question: Do playing certain games ever make you feel like you are a corporate labrat or a cattle being observed by a greedy CEO? Except that instead of rewarding you to complete the maze you reward the CEO. And instead of a maze its more like a labyrinth, because there's waypoints everywhere and it requires less intelligence to complete than that of a mouse.

Basically, certain games start to feel more like generic corporate templates rather than creative pieces constructed by feverish artists.

Penguin25

[Halo]: yes
[Battlefield]: yes
[Unturned]: double yes
[Command & Conquer]: yes
[Roller Coaster Tycoon]: yes
[Counter Strike]: yes
[Mario]: yes
[Sonic]: yes
[Star Wars games]: yes
[Farming Sim]: yes
[Minecraft]: yes

[Chicken Invaders]: Beats every AAA title that exists ever, has an amazing dialogue and lore. Has lots of DLC and each game is under $15 on Steam. Perhaps better than any game that is mentioned on this forum.

Change my mind lol

ReignOnU

More hot takes: I liked the first Sonic movie and wanted another. But after watching Sonic 2 I just felt "eh" after the movie. Idk, maybe I'm just getting old. Sonic didn't seem like the conceited douche we all know and love, he seemed too much like a goodie-two-shoes. And robotnik not being fat was odd. Otherwise, sonics speed seems too fast to be canon and feels like a marie sue, creating plot inconsistencies because if he could move as fast as that, other parts of the plot no longer make sense.

And as for game games, my other hot take is that it should be illegal to not post demos in a store. Otherwise it opens it up for scams.

And @Gamer (ex-Cantavanda)

I see what you are saying about technology. Because technology has come so far forward it is now much harder to make games. But from another perspective someone could say the problem is that technology is mediocre, if the tech was better then it would also be easier to make games now than before.

And that a lot of modern games have a weird gfx style that makes me physically ill. I see it a lot in Unity games and Unreal engine games.

ReignOnU

Bump (I wish this thread had more activity.)

But I can't stand when games are deliberate. For example: In an RPG quest they tell you to fetch wood, so you go to the forest. There is a wooden gate blocking the route you have to chop down, you chop it down yet you get 0 wood whatsoever from that, because the game only awards wood for chopping down healthy trees. I quit the game after that, it felt like someone just stomped on my feet. Also that kind of stuff seems like it would cause more global warming, not encouraging new generations to interact with the world in an eco-sustainable manner, etc.

Like, its a videogame, you are outside all physical limitations, yet you choose to code it in the most limited way possible.

Or a videogame makes you go on a 5 hour fetch quest to find a key, when you have a shotgun and could just open the wooden door with a shotgun.

Relevant discussions on this:

-Open world games are boring and take way to long to play.
-Metroidvania should just be called "Metroid style games" since Metroid did it way before Castlevania.
-Pikmin is one of the best game series ever made.
-The original Spyro series is overrated.
didn't the first Metroid and the first Castlevania game come out in the same year?

didn't the first Metroid and the first Castlevania game come out in the same year?
The first Castlevania came out in 86 as well, and the second one in 87. The second game did have non-linear gameplay, but it wasn't until Symphony of the Night in 97 that we really got a Castlevania with that same kind of gameplay Metrodvanias are known for.

The Steam Controller was one of the most fantastic gaming controllers ever made and the world just wasn't ready for it. I'm playing Remnant 2 with it and can't imagine any other setup working nearly as well for that combination of dodging and precise aiming. Hopefully with the success of a similar layout on the Steam Deck, we'll soon see another dual track pad + rear buttons controller for PCs.

ReignOnU

Hot take: I played some hot games such as Lies of P and Tales of Arise.

Overall the games are good, but the games are ruined by too tough bosses. The entire game is extremely easy, until you get to the overly tough bosses. So I quit the games entirely.

Then, the rest of the games. Commonly a lot of games nowadays are slop, garbaje, caca meant to appeal to normies.

I have a hypothesis that game devs are overwhelmed by the difficulty of the code, that is why games have so many bugs, but you won't hear about it online because they will never admit to it, because they are very stoic. And because of junker's fallacy... for example, if a car buyer buys a car that is mediocre, they will overinflate the value of their particular car and have a distorted appraisal of the value compared to other makes of cars.

Last edited: