Yooka-Laylee

A

AverageJoe

Hello all again...

Another post about your thoughts on a game thats about to grace our presence in 4 days! Man I'm so excited for this game...even though I've only beat Banjo-Kazooie (and have played Tooie). This game will most certainly bring back memories and make them new!

If anyone had the pleasure of playing the tox box like I did, you know it's going to be a crazy cart ride! Let me know what you think!

I think the thing I'm most excited about is the soundtrack, because Grant Kirkhope(Banjo-Kazooie), David Wise(my favorite, as he's done soundtracks for almost all the Donkey Kong Country games), and Steve Burke(Viva Pinata) will all have a shot at making some catchy tunes.

Anyway just wanted to start another discussion thread after the Breath of the Wild one. Share whatever you like, from now til the release!

PS...look at that trouser snake

I'd temper my expectations if I were you. The gameplay videos all make the game look like a rote copy of Banjo Kazooie, with no heart or deep understanding of what made that game good back in the day. The reviews coming out back that idea up. Most likely going to be just an okay game. Fun to play, but nothing you'll remember years from now like Banjo.
I mean, just compare:

There's obviously something missing, to me, anyway. ):
Game will still be fun to mess around with, I think, but nothing super amazing.

Luckily, Mario Odyssey is coming out this year, and looks like it's going to be incredible! =D

Last edited:

Carnivius

I dunno. I didn't really care for Banjo Kazookie (or many games on my cruddy N64) and sold it within weeks of buying it and at least this new one's easier on the eyes cos it's not on the system with ridiculously blurry graphics.

R

roytheshort

new one's easier on the eyes cos it's not on the system with ridiculously blurry graphics.
I'm confused, you like newer graphics but your avatar is pixel art. I've not got anything against that, I just felt like pointing it out. It's an odd combination. Be proud of that. Or don't. I'm not your fairy godmother, don't ask me! Get a job!

Carnivius

I'm confused, you like newer graphics but your avatar is pixel art. I've not got anything against that, I just felt like pointing it out. It's an odd combination. Be proud of that. Or don't. I'm not your fairy godmother, don't ask me! Get a job!
Not really sure what my liking of pixel art has to do with mid to late 90's 3D graphics. Totally different graphical techniques. But to make it very simple I've always been fascinated by using blocks of colour to give the impression of shapes and details and so find that more appealing and impressive in the older resolutions and where every pixel's colour and grouping was a choice made manually by the game artist. Whereas 3D for me works much better in higher resolutions as it deals with models and the final output being generated by the game's very graphic engines for lighting, angles, special effects and such. And certainly much better than the N64 was capable of especially when the games on that system were often hampered with the blurry graphics and often dodgy frame rates which often resulted in giving me major headaches trying to play on that machine I definitely paid way too much to import from Japan (hugely disappointing system after I had loved my NES and SNES so much).

And i'd like a job if i could cope with it. Still waiting for new meds to do their thing.

(and my avatar is annoyingly scaled and blurred here and I not sure if it can be fixed)

R

roytheshort

Huh, didn't know about the headaches or the meds thing. I was sort of trying to be lighthearted but in hindsight that wasn't a good move. My apologies, I'm at fault here.

I think developers at the time were trying to push the technological advances out faster than they knew of any medical side effects. It's not really one of the things you think about. When you're making games you don't really think it can hurt people. The Virtualboy was probably the most widespread example of failure at this.

If it's just a problem with frame rates I'd suggest the virtual console version since you'd get less headaches. But Banjo didn't come out on the virtual console due to copyright issues with Rare. They might do in the future, they managed to get around various copyright issues with Earthbound.

Carnivius

Sorry I shouldn't have mentioned the meds thing but the job bit just triggered me a bit cos it's been on my mind a lot especially as I approach my 38th birthday this year and have never had much of a work history due to my issues. Not your fault at all.

I wouldn't go with VC anyways as that would mean buying a machine I don't want and then being stuck with the limited selection of games you'd have to pay for again and being stuck with it the way Nintendo want and I'd rather not give them any money ever again given their lousy treatment of fans. Emulation is definitely the way to go and I do have N64 emulation running fine on my PC mostly for Starfox 64 cos I liked that one and it's nice to be able to play it with more sharpness and a decent controller (never liked the N64's unbalanced weirdly shaped and uncomfortable gamepads).

Ninety

I've always been fascinated by using blocks of colour to give the impression of shapes and details and so find that more appealing and impressive in the older resolutions and where every pixel's colour and grouping was a choice made manually by the game artist. Whereas 3D for me works much better in higher resolutions as it deals with models and the final output being generated by the game's very graphic engines for lighting, angles, special effects and such.
I'd be interested to know your thoughts on the low-poly/flat-shaded style adopted by many indie developers who don't have the resources to go for a more detailed look (or choose a more stylised one deliberately). It seems to find a good middle ground between using blocks of colour, like you mentioned, and 3D graphics.

Personally I think it's absolutely beautiful if lit well and running smoothly.

Niels

I love those low poly 3D objects,but I have zero interest in 3D platformers like Banjo Kazookie

A

AverageJoe

What draws you all away from 3D platformers? Many friends I've talked with say it comes down to the camera. The camera is the sole purpose you could misinterpret a jump (depth perception). Or are you just not good at running back up to where you fell down from? With any game you have these quirks, hell look at Mirror's Edge, a parkour first person 3D platformer (never played it but never wanted to because I'm scared of heights!!)...I'm not looking for the "It's not my cup of tea" type answers. I want to know the root of whats going on here I guess, not graphically, but mechanically.

I personally love 3D platformers if they're done well. Unfortunately, the only well made 3D platformers are the Mario games, haha! Even Banjo Kazooie was only passable for me back in the day. Nothing to do with cameras or controls. Everything to do with game feel, level design, art direction, music, etc, etc. Mario games are always amazing in all those fields. I can't say the same about any other 3D platformers.

Niels

What draws you all away from 3D platformers? Many friends I've talked with say it comes down to the camera. The camera is the sole purpose you could misinterpret a jump (depth perception). Or are you just not good at running back up to where you fell down from? With any game you have these quirks, hell look at Mirror's Edge, a parkour first person 3D platformer (never played it but never wanted to because I'm scared of heights!!)...I'm not looking for the "It's not my cup of tea" type answers. I want to know the root of whats going on here I guess, not graphically, but mechanically.
I just don't really like the bright colored happy bouncy saturday morning cartoon aesthetic of those games.
Maybe it's because my parrents didn't want to buy me a console as kid, that I mostly played pc games who tend to be a bit more mature/serious.

Also I saw footage of the game where I saw the characters communicatie by eh's, Oeh's and fart noises, which must be the most annoying and immature thing ever.

I DID like earthworm jim a lot!, but that's 2D :)

Last edited:
A

AverageJoe

Also I saw footage of the game where I saw the characters communicatie by eh's, Oeh's and fart noises, which must be the most annoying and immature thing ever.
Niels you gotta realize the company that made that game, made previous games conversate like that. Also immaturity may pertain to childhood...but I feel like I will always be child even though I'm 22...

Glad to hear another person liked the weird platformer known as Earthworm Jim. Fun Fact: He had his own 3D N64 game too!