Yathzee's Dev diary

Discussion in 'Game Design, Development And Publishing' started by Niels, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Niels

Niels Member

Yathzee (of zero punctuation fame) is making a series on YouTube where he makes 1 game every month (in gamemaker studio 2).

It's not only highly entertaining to watch, but also filled with quite a lot of game design tips and idea's

I especially liked his game "life of Erich Zann".

Start of the series:

Thought some of you might like it.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  2. sitebender

sitebender Member

Ben has been entertaining for over a decade. I've watched almost all his content including his streams. He's good to talk about game development and fantastic to critique it. The Escapist has really stepped up Ben's production over the past year with this segment, sending him to E3, and a mini documentary about him and the process of making Zero Punctuation.

He's also a great person to tell you "just finish the game and release it."

His Hatfall was also a lot of fun to play.

3. Yal

Yal GMC Memer GMC Elder

Yeah, I've been watching this series as well... at some point he started going through how he achieved a lot of the mechanics in each game code-wise after public demand so it's pretty informative. The day/night cycle in Life of Eric Zahn is really simple code-wise but a genious concept, and the rant about primary, secondary and ternary cycles sheds a lot of light on a core concept that a lot of people don't even know exists. (Me being one of them... I was aware about it being fun to have both long-term and moment-to-moment goals but I never thought of them as being codifiable in the same way!)

Niels likes this.