Free Yambam's Game Maker IDE

Yambam

Game Maker IDE
I have yet to give this program a real name.​

Download link: http://gamemaker.mooo.com/games/229713-game-maker-ide

Functions:
  • .gmk (standard :gm8: format) loading and saving (I can't get that part to work yet).
  • .gmj (JSON format) loading and saving.
  • View resources: sprites, sounds, backgrounds, scripts, objects and rooms.
  • Adapts to Windows theme.
  • Run rooms from within their "MDI" form (experimental).
  • Code editor.
  • Room editor.
  • Drag and drop.
  • Limited online features.
  • Plugins and themes.
  • Music Maker.

To do:
  • GM: Studio support.
  • Saving .gmk format files.
  • Saving .gmj (external) image/sound resources.
  • Modify rooms (more options).
  • 3D room editor.
  • Modify constants.
  • Sprite and background editor.
  • Improved room editor: draw/erase rectangles of objects.
  • Make this list longer, make a suggestion!

Drag and drop - More like click and choose at the moment.

Main view - Rooms, sprites, sounds and objects. All resources supported at the moment.

Obsidian theme - This theme is located in the "Plugins (disabled)" folder. To use it, move it to the used plugins folder.

Music Maker - Make your own melodies using the Music Maker. More instruments are soon to come!

Last edited:

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
The first thing I thought when I saw the first screenshot was "This looks like Game Maker 1". gg on that. x3
It looks pretty cool, though, I like the little touches like having the sprite/image editor be non-blocking and adding in a midi synthensizer. This isn't anything I would use since I feel GM8 functionality is inferior to Studio, but a cool job anyway :3

Yambam

The first thing I thought when I saw the first screenshot was "This looks like Game Maker 1". gg on that. x3
It looks pretty cool, though, I like the little touches like having the sprite/image editor be non-blocking and adding in a midi synthensizer. This isn't anything I would use since I feel GM8 functionality is inferior to Studio, but a cool job anyway :3
Thanks for the feedback! Is it a good or a bad thing that it looks like Game Maker 1? xD Anyway, it's not really usable for anything serious currently, there's no saving as .gmk/.gmx and no way to compile a game. There's only a way to test the game while in the program, which I think is really cool, by pressing the button in the toolbar while you have the room you wanted to test maximized. :)

Was this made with GameMaker?
Yes! And that makes it a little more interesting project to do than just remaking a normal IDE in my opinion haha.

EDIT: @Yal What do you think of the dark blue theme though? :)

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Seems like my memory was a bit off there. x3 I haven't seen it since the days back when GM6 was the most advanced version...

Yambam

Seems like my memory was a bit off there. x3 I haven't seen it since the days back when GM6 was the most advanced version...
What do you think of the darker theme then? xD

Also, are there any more improvements I could make to the resource tree for example? I thought myself it would be cool if there was not any predefined folders where you can put stuff in, so you can have an "Obstacles" folder in the root and put all sprites (spr_spike), objects (obj_spike), sound effects (snd_impale) and test rooms (rm_test_obstaclecourse) inside that one folder. Or maybe a thumbnail view would be nice, like a mini file explorer on the left. :)

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
IMO you should work on functionality (compiling, exporting as main GM files) before you add more fluff... otherwise this is just going to be a curiosity nobody will use seriously anyway.

S

Salvakiya

I would love to see a no drag and drop option... where when you click on an event it just opens a code block on the right =). at any rate.. I cant get this to run on my Windows 10 64 bit system. Windows complains and says its not compatible

Yambam

I would love to see a no drag and drop option... where when you click on an event it just opens a code block on the right =). at any rate.. I cant get this to run on my Windows 10 64 bit system. Windows complains and says its not compatible
It says I cant run it because my pc is 64 bit...
I'm sure going to add that option to the new preferences dialog which is currently in progress. Strange that you're both having problems with x64 arch, because I'm also using 64 bits Windows 10 and it's working fine for me. o_O

...so it's a gamemaker clone?
Well, not exactly. This one is made using Game Maker and it's all packed in a single executable. It misses one important feature though (and it misses more features...) and that is compiling to .exe, though you can test them from within my program currently (maximize the room editor window and then click the "Run room" button next to the red "Run game in debug mode" button).

I'm currently working on an online version of Game Maker which can produce HTML5 games and it's coming in two variants: Classic GM and Pico 8 style programming. :)

trg601

Just so you know, the download link is broken on your website, and the link you posted here is broken too.
It looks cool though.

Yambam

Just so you know, the download link is broken on your website, and the link you posted here is broken too.
It looks cool though.
I fixed all the broken links! The only thing caused me to kind of stop working on this project was this: the FPS is horrible. I will probably start working on this when the holidays start again. Then I'll try to use GM:Studio for everything instead and I'll make a new window system using Modelā€“viewā€“controller (MVC) for efficiency. :)

EDIT: Whoops! That was not actually true, I only fixed the broken links on my site, now the link in the topic is update too!

New download link: http://gamemaker.mooo.com/games/229713-game-maker-ide

Last edited:

Yambam

I hope you understand why I stopped working on this project. It's so massive. It had 6 major features (and they were all buggy to some degree):
  • My own first JSON parser; dedicated to my own IDE, written in and built to resemble the IDE I love and use most, which is Game Maker 8.0
  • Loads (but doesn't write) Game Maker 7.0/8.0 files partially, but on the other hand with no problems
  • Saves games in JSON format using my own non-standards-compliant JSON encoder
  • Implements a plugin system using seperate GM8 files as plugins (which are loaded in the IDE for use of sprites and scripts, using execute_string; this is only possible because the IDE was -- in some way, lol -- written in itself!)
  • Runs games directly from the room editor window! At least I made my minimal platformer engine work inside of it haha
  • A minimal window manager designed to resemble Microsoft Windows', there is also a feature which I took from Blender; Ctrl-Alt-Up and Ctrl-Alt-Down even further maximize the current contained window in the window manager
It would of course be great if GM:Studio 2 would implement some of these features, though the What-You-See-Is-What-You-Get is probably not doable, unless it would be written in the language the IDE is written for itself... you know, it happens to be done sometimes with other languages, but those are mostly "interpreted languages".

Wacht, je bent een Nederlander :0
Gegroet, beste landgenoot. xD

---

Hey, if anyone's interested in working with me on a custom IDE for a custom language, PM me! xD