• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Y.A.W - You Are Weaponized (LOWREZJAM 2020)

Apapappa

Info:
Made in 77 hours and 49minutes for LOWREZJAM 2020.
https://itch.io/jam/lowrezjam-2020

The game is limited to a resolution of 64x64 as per the rules.
There was no theme but I went with some of the suggested ones like:

You Are The Weapon - "professional" gun user.
Infiltration - your mission is to infiltrate a castle.
You Are Terrifying - press "C" when the bar fills up.

Since this might become my new side project I thought I might post a thread here as well.

Timelapse + Gameplay:
Jam Comments:
I always try to create a game during a jam like this without looking anything up on the internet or anything like that and I almost managed to do it.

I unfortunately had to look up two things from my own previous code after attempting them for hours, these were:
1. Smoothing out the collisions, I made some mistakes here and they're still far from perfect even after looking at my old code a bit.
2. I forgot a small part of projecting shadows (a simple one liner) so I had to go look at my old code for this as well.

I also used my own mastering preset for the music / sound effects but all melodies and sound effects were created during the jam as well as all graphics.
Overall, the game turned out better than expected.
Feel free to leave any feedback!

Description:
This is a fairly standard old school Doom / Quake style shooter where you play as an agent on a mission to infiltrate the enemy castle.

Features:
5 Levels + 1 bonus developer testing level.
6 Weapons. (one is shared with another)
5 Enemy types.
A bunch of different items. (ammo, armor, health, powerups, keys)
Secrets.
In-game stats like kills, items, time spent in level.

Controls:
WASD = Move.
Mouse = Look around.
Left Mouse Button = Shoot.
Right Mouse Button = Zoom.
Space = Jump.
E = Use.
C = "Special Power".
1-5 = Change Weapon
If you get stuck you can enable / disable god mode (invulnerability) by pressing "Home".

Notes on Linux:
The Linux version currently has all shaders disabled so it will not look the same as on windows.
It also has some mouse movement issues, at least using the touchpad on my laptop.
Overall the native Linux version is relatively untested (I basically just confirmed it runs), so it may be better to just run the Windows version with Wine or something.
(not tested but should probably work)

Mk.2

The controls are good, and the jump in particular feels nice and weighty. The zoom feature was a good idea. If you decide to continue the project, a basic mini map would be a very helpful feature, as it can be hard to navigate sometimes due to the low resolution. I guess you'd need to get rid of the weapon select part of the UI to fit that on screen, or you could have it as a pause screen. The dynamic music is implemented well, though a more convincing pistol sound effect would make a huge difference.

Nicely done.

Apapappa

The controls are good, and the jump in particular feels nice and weighty. The zoom feature was a good idea. If you decide to continue the project, a basic mini map would be a very helpful feature, as it can be hard to navigate sometimes due to the low resolution. I guess you'd need to get rid of the weapon select part of the UI to fit that on screen, or you could have it as a pause screen. The dynamic music is implemented well, though a more convincing pistol sound effect would make a huge difference.

Nicely done.
Thanks for playing! :)
Yeah the zoom was added just because of the low resolution so you can see a bit further.
I'm very heavily considering making this my side project so a map of some sort would probably be a good addition, thanks.
And yeah, it can become disorienting at times because of the low resolution but I'll be adding a "HD" mode of at least 2-4x the resolution if I continue working on this, so that will solve that issue.
The pistol sound turned out a bit hollow but everything would be improved in a new version if that happens.
So, all the sound were created with synths in FL Studio (and a few with Labchirp) so nothing is actually recorded or anything, this is why the sounds aren't exactly the best at times.
The hardest sounds to make were definitely the "humanoid" sounds though.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback. ^^