Demo XYDONIA / ザイドニア - 16-bit style arcade horizontal shmup [LIVE Kickstarter] [Greenlit]

T

Tronco

XYDONIA is now live on Kickstarter!
Please help us making our dream come true. The game's fate is in your hands now!

>KICKSTARTER PAGE<

Hello everyone!

I'd like to introduce you to XYDONIA, a PC game I'm working on as the lead coder, completely done
in Game Maker Studio.
It's a classic arcade horizontal shoot 'em up inspired by the Japanese milestones of the genre, such as R-Type, Gradius and Darius.

This project started out as a simple hobby of a few passionate guys. However, as time passed on, we grew up more and more confident about its potential, so we decided to try and turn it into a full commercial product. We plan to make a game that really brings you back to the arcade years, not just in a nostalgic way, but also with challenging gameplay and an overall entertaining experience.

KEY FEATURES

- A return to the golden age of shmups with hardcore '90s arcade action
- A varied roster of characters, each with their own unique play style
- A killer YM2151+Sega PCM soundtrack featuring shmup legends Shinji Hosoe and Keishi Yonao
- Customize each playthrough with different equipment and assist characters
- Easy to learn, hard to master scoring/ranking system
- Old-school 16-bit Neo Geo style 2D graphics
- Two-player Co-op

Some of the aspects we plan to bring you in the final version:

- Improved assets and backgrounds
- Dynamic stage progression, multiple paths and endings
- More playthrough customization, with tons of weapons and characters
- A unique "scavenge" system that allows purchasing of upgrades and more

KICKSTARTER TRAILER

GAMEPLAY TRAILER

DOWNLOAD LINK

Here's what we included in this demo:

Three playable characters (Blade / Bull / Yoko)
Two stages (00 and 1B)
Boss encounters for both stages (WIP)
The new 3-weapon system
A taste of the new scoring/medal/ranking system
Improved assets and interface
Full YM2151+SegaPCM soundtrack

Being an alpha, it's still a bit rough around the edges and some bugs could be encountered, however it should give you an idea of how the game has progressed until now and keep you busy for a while!

You can reset the game by pressing R, if anything weird happens!

Let's see who gets the highest score!

We're open for any kind of feedback!

CONTACTS

If you want to know more about the game and/or follow its development, check us out at the following links:
Facebook
Twitter
Tumblr

Last edited by a moderator:
This looks fantastic! Looks like a legit NEO-GEO game. Got your ROM checks in there and everything, hahah! You guys really nailed the atmosphere and the look perfectly. Those character introductions with the flashing effects and stuff are straight out of 90s arcades. I've played a million arcade schmups over there years, and I can say with all honestly that you guys did an amazing job here. I really wouldn't be able to tell this wasn't a legit arcade game if you hadn't told me.

So yeah, looks really cool. I'm glad it looks like you guys are on track to hit your KS goal. By what I can see here, you deserve it! Good luck to you guys! =)

Edit: I didn't even mention the music, but I thought it sounded like a legit Yamaha FM chip, and apparently it is? And you got people who know how to use it working on the game!? You guys are my kind of people! 💩💩💩💩ing badass, hahah! I've got some 80s FM stuff in my game, too. Really cool. Cheers, guys! =D

Last edited:

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
This looks amazing! I'd like to write a longer, more detailed description of my first impression, but you've more or less left me speechless, so let's leave it at "IT'S AMAZING!!!!". I have to check this out :)

T

Tronco

Thanks everyone :D

Yes the music is done with Deflemask Tracker, which produce legit YM 2151 .vgm files, then exported to .wav format and streamed through Game Maker. Unfortunately there is still not a valid "wrapper" for VGM format for GM:Studio as there was for GM8, maybe for compatibility issues in exporting the game for other platforms.

Carnivius

Seen this elsewhere but thought it was an actual Neo Geo rom along the lines of Last Resort and Blazing Star. Really nice work. :)

Would totally buy this on PS4/Vita by the way. :)

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
If filesize is a concern, you might want to convert the WAV files to OGG. I used to use WAV files for everything too, but OGG files has the same quality for a lower filesize so I've more or less switched over completely.

N

Nexusrex

Woah, this game got a demo! I've been waiting so long (and followed it on facebook in groups). Going to give it a try if it's not big-filesized.

T

Tronco

Yes of course i convert wav files into OGG, otherwise the game filsized will bee TOO big :D (in this actual state it's around 14/15 mb). Using the term "wav" i meant streamed audio

T

Tronco

Seen this elsewhere but thought it was an actual Neo Geo rom along the lines of Last Resort and Blazing Star. Really nice work. :)

Would totally buy this on PS4/Vita by the way. :)
It's a great compliment coming from you! You are truly a pixel art master and i have a lot of respect for your work and your attention to details in recreating old school hardware limitations and features :D

R

Rossay

This looks absolutely superb. I'm personally not a huge fan of shooter-games but the art, animations and music are very impressive.

Carnivius

It's a great compliment coming from you! You are truly a pixel art master and i have a lot of respect for your work and your attention to details in recreating old school hardware limitations and features :D
I'm always amazed to be honoured like that by graphics artists who are way above me in terms of skill and productivity. Thank you. And yeah I do enjoy going for the old retro authenticity (particularly with my Amstrad CPC projects). Good luck with this game. :)

T

Tronco

I'm always amazed to be honoured like that by graphics artists who are way above me in terms of skill and productivity. Thank you. And yeah I do enjoy going for the old retro authenticity (particularly with my Amstrad CPC projects). Good luck with this game. :)
As you can see, retro authenticity is a priority for us too :D Keep up the great work!

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I'm personally not that much of a die-hard fan of retro authenticity... retro limitations are a great way to spur creativity, and they remind us of a good old age where games made money by being good enough to make people buy them, not because of having attractive flashy 1-hour cutscenes or by putting half the game in DLC... but I never let a limitation get in the way of my artistic vision. But I guess that just makes me respect people that DO care about them even more, for having that dedication to stay true to their ideals :3

M

mariospants

I already raved about this game on the old forum, but it's worth repeating that (regardless of your fondness or lack thereof for the genre/style/era) this is era-perfect in a way that approaches obsessiveness. It pushes the limits of the limitations of the time of the great arcade shmups and never goes so far as to betray the modern engine underlying it. It's a perfect ode to those who just never got enough of that early-'90's arcade stuff.

T

Tronco

UPDATE

XYDONIA‬'s ‪Kickstarter‬ goal has been reached!

A huge thank you to every backer and supporter. We can now fully dive into XYDONIA's development and bring you one hell of a ‪‎shmup‬!

but it's not over yet!

We still have few days to hit some stretch goals, so if you like the game, keep on supporting!
Thanks

Reactions: Yal
T

Tronco

We just entered the final 48 hours of our Kickstarter campaign!

There's still time to hit those stretch goals

So if you like our project, keep on supporting!

T

Tronco

‎XYDONIA‬ was successfully funded on ‪#‎Kickstarter‬!

A HUGE thank you to everyone who supported us and will continue doing so while we work hard to complete the game's development!

Stay tuned for more updates!

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
*miscellaneous cheering*
Getting news like this right before going to bed is what makes me dream sweet dreams~♫