• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

iOS Xcode 8.3.3 Broke Code Signing???

H

Howard Lehr

After the 8.3.3 update to Xcode, iOS exports of my game work fine when run from Xcode, but fail to Verify or Upload to the App Store. When trying either, the following error appears in slight variation:

[attempted verify]
iTunes Store operation failed.
Invalid Code Signing Entitlements. Your application bundle's signature contains code signing entitlements that are not supported on iOS. Specifically, value 'dns-proxy' for key 'com.apple.developer.networking.networkextension' in 'Payload/<project_name>.app/<project_name>' is not supported.

[attempted upload]
ERROR ITMS-90046: "Invalid Code Signing Entitlements. Your application bundle's signature contains code signing entitlements that are not supported on iOS. Specifically, value 'dns-proxy' for key 'com.apple.developer.networking.networkextension' in 'Payload/<project_name>.app/<project_name>' is not supported."

Nothing has changed in my code, or my provisioning. Also, older builds, which are already on the App Store receive the same error after the update, so it appears Apple changed something and YoYo hasn't adjusted to it?

Before opening a bug ticket, did anyone else see this??

More Details in case they help...

In Xcode, the .entitlements file that Game Maker 1.4.1763 built shows no Entitlements, even though during the verify process notes 5 entitlements. Opening as source shows:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict/>

</plist>
Any advice or help is appreciated.

T

Thomas Bailey

I have seen this exact error too. I am not sure this is an Xcode only problem. For our app we are selecting network extensions and personal vpn entitlements. This has been working for a while now. I uploaded a build to iTunes last week. This week I tried and I see the same error.

If you go into your Apple developer portal and generate a new provisioning profile and grep for *** dns-proxy *** you will see a match. We had an old profile generated last week which did not contain dns-proxy.

Strangely enough we have 2 different accounts. One of the accounts is older and we had to go through the process of getting a special entitlement. As this is no longer a requirement our new account didn't go through that process. Our old account is not producing provisioning profiles with dns-proxy in them.

This seems like an Apple bug. We have been in touch with them and have no idea what could be causing the issue. They came back to me and told me to try something which did not work. It actually was very far off topic.

If anyone has a solution I'll buy you a drink.

H

Howard Lehr

Thanks for the info Thomas. Let's try this, I'll open a ticket with Apple Support, and if anything comes of it, post it here.

And I'll second Thomas' offer, so the one who finds the solution will be owed 2 drinks. :)

T

Thomas Bailey

Thanks for the info Thomas. Let's try this, I'll open a ticket with Apple Support, and if anything comes of it, post it here.

And I'll second Thomas' offer, so the one who finds the solution will be owed 2 drinks. :)
I also opened a ticket and it isn't going very well.

Good luck.

H

Howard Lehr

Bah! Apple has been absolutely no help. Their advice is as you described, totally off-topic.

However, the problem went away magically. Given the error verbiage, I kept looking at the product's bundle ID. But your note above suggested the problem might be in the provisioning profiles. So, looking at mine, they both showed yellow-triangle ! warnings that said "disabled." (no clue why). Simply renewing made the errors go away, but strangely added "XC_iOS_" to the front of the bundle identifier name in my release .mobileprovision. (again, no idea why). However, now validation and uploading to the store works. Honestly, working with mobile provisioning feels more like voodoo than programming. :/

Sorry Thomas; I owe you a drink but can't claim that you owe me one because I'm not able to actually offer problem-solving advice beyond wave your hands in a mystic pattern and pray to the Apple gods.

If you're in the Bay Area, come and collect!

H

Howard Lehr

Thanks for the reply Bingdom, but all of that was already in order, so for others reading this, it's good info there, but won't help if you're in the spot Mr. Bailey and I are.

That said, I have a little more info and a little less Voodoo to report. It's not a real solution, just more clarity on what's going wrong; hopefully it helps.

Trial and error shows that the problem arises on trying to add the "iCloud" capability. Doing so enables "Network Estensions" to your game's App ID. In my case, I added "iCloud Files" to create the problem. Disabling both iCloud and Network Extensions from your App ID, then renewing and re-downloading your Provisioning profiles will fix the problem.

Now, does anyone know how to fix the problem WITHOUT disabling iCloud?? Thomas, have you tried disabling ONLY Network Extensions and leaving everything else enabled? Does it choke that way too??