• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

XBOX ONE X is over 100,000 times more powerful than Atari 2600

K12gamer

It's amazing how far video game tech has advanced in 40 years.

Do you think 40 years from now there will be a console 100,000 more powerful than XBOX ONE X?
Or is technological innovation rapidly slowing down?

Last edited:

andev

I think development in size and speed is going to come to an end pretty soon. Either because it's physically impossible to make it any smaller, or because we simply don't need to make technology any more powerful (for gaming at least). Sure, more power is always good. But we're already at a place where games can waste vast amounts of resources and still run great (either from lazy code, or using general purpose engines).

I think once we get to the point where the graphics card fans don't even come on for gameplay that looks like real video footage, game tech companies might find more profit from branching into other technologies. 100% transparent tech? Holograms? VR? Physically feeling interaction inside the game? Literally immersing yourself in the game via a cable to the head?

There's also quantum computing...

K12gamer

(Andev)...I think the big limitation for consoles right now is HardDrive technology.
1-2 TB HDs don't seem large or fast enough for today's consoles.

SSD seems the way to go...but those things are way too expensive.
Imagine if XBOX ONE X, PS4 etc...had a 10TB SSD...but then they'd probably cost $10,000 :(

K

Kobold

...SSD seems the way to go...but those things are way too expensive....
Way to go is portable storage (in my humble opinion)....

My workstation runs a cheap arse crappy HardDisk which only holds the OS and my work Apps (so lowest capacity).... everything else has it's very own portable drive.

K12gamer

Way to go is portable storage (in my humble opinion)....

My workstation runs a cheap arse crappy HardDisk which only holds the OS and my work Apps (so lowest capacity).... everything else has it's very own portable drive.
Maybe future games will be on tiny 1TB (Superfast) SD cards...like this...

T

tserek

Do you think 40 years from now there will be a console 100,000 more powerful than XBOX ONE X?
In theory, yes. Quantum technology is the answer. Quantum computer is about 100 million times faster than PC as we know. Once QC is revealed as budget price/size PC, everyone could easily emulate PS7 and X3.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Smarty

I haven't once been teabagged in an Atari 2600 game
Don't know about your private interests but I'm marking that as another plus in favor of Atari 2600 games.

But Atari games only had 4kb of data to load...it shouldn't take too long...compared to loading a game thats 30-50gb...:eek:
Ah, but such games would never load 30 to 50 GB on start, most of that data is buffered when the game requires it.

But I'm being unfair: on an Atari 2600 games take no loading time at all. Games came on cartridges, which were essentially just plug-in ROM chips. Shove it in, switch it on, and the game starts immediately - because it has become an integrated part of the hardware.

Kind of hard to run updates on, though.

S

Smarty

I don't think the high expectations of quantum computers are entirely warranted. They're incredibly fast at solving specific problems, but otherwise they're not thought to outperform their binary siblings. It remains to be seen how they can be useful for our average gaming needs. And anyway you currently need a massively cold fridge to keep it running.

G

Guest User

It remains to be seen how they can be useful for our average gaming needs. And anyway you currently need a massively cold fridge to keep it running.
a quantum cryptology guy from Harvard or something gave a talk at my community college a few months back.

the one thing i did understand in that 1-2 hour talk was that quantum computers can "crack" are beyond regular computers for encryption/decryption. so...perhaps the first thing we'll ever actually get out of these things will have something to do with DRM or whatever. i don't particularly know how DRM works, but ye.