• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE WTF all the yy files are corrupt.

Agneum

After failing to run the game through F5 in the IDE (nothing happening after compile message shows:

elapsed time 00:00:05.4498785s for command)

I decided to save the project to another location and reopen it. Little did I know EVERYTHING is now missing. The .yy files are empty, but the "shell" of the game is still there. I can see all my scripts, their names, objects and their parents. The actual content is missing.

This amongst everything else I've found makes me think this version of GMS was rushed to beta too soon.

I think this is related to saving to different locations, but I'm not sure.

Last edited:
L

Lotias

After failing to run the game through F5 in the IDE (nothing happening after compile message shows:

I decided to save the project to another location and reopen it. Little did I know EVERYTHING is now missing. The .yy files are empty, but the "shell" of the game is still there. I can see all my scripts, their names, objects and their parents. The actual content is missing.

This amongst everything else I've found makes me think this version of GMS was rushed to beta too soon.

Rushed to beta too soon? Bugs like that are exactly why it's in only in beta.

Posh Indie

That Guy

For the record, YoYo Games only released the unrestricted version of the Beta because we (The users) asked them to. They rushed nothing. We rushed them (I am very thankful they gave it to us, too), haha.

N

NPT

For the record, YoYo Games only released the unrestricted version of the Beta because we (The users) asked them to. They rushed nothing. We rushed them (I am very thankful they gave it to us, too), haha.
While it's true the membership asked for GMS2 to be sold, and YYGs complied that's not the only reason.

As soon as GMS2 was anounced and released Beta, you can bet sales for GM:S1 came to a screeching halt. Beta sales goes a long way to reducing the cash flow problems they would have had otherwise.

Posh Indie

That Guy
While it's true the membership asked for GMS2 to be sold, and YYGs complied that's not the only reason.

As soon as GMS2 was anounced and released Beta, you can bet sales for GM:S1 came to a screeching halt. Beta sales goes a long way to reducing the cash flow problems they would have had otherwise.
Right, but there is a balance to that as well. They knew full well that releasing (charging for, not actual release) underdeveloped software could have also had a negative effect (Like this guy saying they just rushed beta and threw it out there. They didn't rush it by any means, and I mean... Beta is still going on. Rushing Beta would be removing the Beta tag, throwing it to the wild, cashing in off the people purchasing a full release product, and finding out it is Beta quality. Which was not done.)

I see where you are coming from, but they did not rush it by any means. Ask Steam Early Access what "Rushing Beta" truly is, haha.

Last edited:
N

NPT

I'm not suggesting they rushed it at all. In fact, I'm stating the opposite, I think that sales during the Beta was a part of their plan all along.

As far as I'm concerned, no complaints about GMS2 relative to its Beta status, I've experienced no issues whatsover with it.

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff

Doing "save as" to other locations should work fine. More likely the project was corrupted beforehand. I haven't seen too many reports like this with the beta. Granted, it DOES happen -- but it happens occasionally with Studio 1 also.

Either way, that's no consolation when you lose your project. Hopefully, you can reload a backup version. In the meantime, what about the original project? Is that empty too?

Last edited:

gnysek

I'm using beta since November, and made around 3000+ lines of code, and added about 100 new resources, all using git (extenally), and have no issues at all with missing stuff.

Agneum

Rushed to beta too soon? Bugs like that are exactly why it's in only in beta.
True, but I feel like beta testing shouldn't encompass the bucketlist of urgent issues and bugs. Beta is just a buzzword, and arbitrary.

Doing "save as" to other locations should work fine. More likely the project was corrupted beforehand. I haven't seen too many reports like this with the beta. Granted, it DOES happen -- but it happens occasionally with Studio 1 also.

Either way, that's no consolation when you lose your project. Hopefully, you can reload a backup version. In the meantime, what about the original project? Is that empty too?
I have multiple backups as well as a Dropbox, the project is fine though it's just a strange phenomenon. I remember clicking on a script and seeing it empty, thinking this was strange I tried running the project, and it did nothing. Eventuallt after reloading it kept saying that the main() method was missing like 10 times during compile. In any case I just wanted to inform, sadly I cannot seem to reproduce the issue, but I will try and remember what I did when I tried saving. One thing I do know is that I was using the Dropbox folder originally, though that shouldn't matter much since it's still local on my pc.

True, but I feel like beta testing shouldn't encompass the bucketlist of urgent issues and bugs. Beta is just a buzzword, and arbitrary.
Uhm, no. Beta is not a buzzword. If nothing else, it is a warning that the software is not production ready. It is also a plea to anyone using the beta to test any and all aspects of the software to find bugs and other issues and report them to the developers so that they can be fixed. Beta is not a buzzword, but a label to let you know that should you download and use the software, you should expect issues and it is expected of you to report them. That is hardly a buzzword.

You feel like beta testing shouldn't encompass the bucket list of urgent issues and bugs? What? That's what beta testing is about. Beta testing allows the software to be tested by a variety of users who 1) have a variety of computer configurations, 2) have a variety of software running while they work, and 3) work in ways that the developers might not. Therefore, even if something appears to work well on the developer's machine, it might not on mine. So, yeah, EXPECT a bucket list of urgent issues and bugs. It's BETA and that's part of what should be understood when downloading beta software. If you don't understand that, then wait for the official release.

Agneum

Uhm, no. Beta is not a buzzword. If nothing else, it is a warning that the software is not production ready. It is also a plea to anyone using the beta to test any and all aspects of the software to find bugs and other issues and report them to the developers so that they can be fixed. Beta is not a buzzword, but a label to let you know that should you download and use the software, you should expect issues and it is expected of you to report them. That is hardly a buzzword.

You feel like beta testing shouldn't encompass the bucket list of urgent issues and bugs? What? That's what beta testing is about. Beta testing allows the software to be tested by a variety of users who 1) have a variety of computer configurations, 2) have a variety of software running while they work, and 3) work in ways that the developers might not. Therefore, even if something appears to work well on the developer's machine, it might not on mine. So, yeah, EXPECT a bucket list of urgent issues and bugs. It's BETA and that's part of what should be understood when downloading beta software. If you don't understand that, then wait for the official release.
So you mean to say a beta is just that, no strings attached? As if we haven't seen it used for marketing purposes, or pushed to sell an unfinished product (commonly known as 'early access')? You are making the assumption that nobody is allowed to judge a beta build, just because it's work in progress and meant to be riddled with bugs. Yet it's okay to sell, because you can always blame the consumer for purchasing an unfinished product, right?

Supporting a developer before a project is complete might seem like a good idea, but in practice it's not. Once you have your sales, suddenly the deadlines are gone, nothing really matters. Unless you'd bet hard that the developers care, which most people on the forums do. It's a double edged sword. GMS2 was rumored and for 2015 (I need to check my source on this), and people were getting impatient toward late 2016. I guess you can say that my gripe is that the full version access to the beta costs money. That heavily affects my rationale. What about the people who want to support and leave feedback, but just don't see the point of purchasing an unfinished product? Is that what the trial version is for, I don't get it? Maybe there are valid reasons for this, but for the sake of argument let's put the cost aside and assume it's for the best.

The beta starts when the developers say so, regardless of the condition or stability of the project. Rushing something out is NOT out of the question, even something that has been delayed. If we assume beta testing is for the reasons you mention the test should focus on scale and diversity of multiple configurations and the bugs that developers missed in the years that this project has been taking place - just like you said. I'm sure the testing has given lots of essential feedback and helps to ensure the quality of the final build. One of my first reports was the following:

variable_instance_set(id,"val",100);
show_message(string(variable_instance_exists(id, "val"))); //False, should be true.

Multiple people reported on this and I couldn't help but think just how irrelevant this seemed to a beta. It didn't seem noteworthy, it seemed like mission critical stuff. Maybe in your eyes this is exactly the things a beta test is for, and I'm in no position to argue that.

My thoughts come from my own anecdotal evidence, everything is just my opinion - hence the phrase "makes me thinks this was rushed".

L

Lotias

One of my first reports was the following:

variable_instance_set(id,"val",100);
show_message(string(variable_instance_exists(id, "val"))); //False, should be true.

Multiple people reported on this and I couldn't help but think just how irrelevant this seemed to a beta. It didn't seem noteworthy, it seemed like mission critical stuff. Maybe in your eyes this is exactly the things a beta test is for, and I'm in no position to argue that.

My thoughts come from my own anecdotal evidence, everything is just my opinion - hence the phrase "makes me thinks this was rushed".
This may come as a surprise, but with more and more complex software a developer is not going to catch even seemingly obvious bugs like that, especially if a smaller team is testing it. I don't know what on Earth you actually mean by "irrelevant to a beta," but surprising things can slip by. It's much, much, MUCH faster to get a list of problems with the software if you release it to the public. So I don't know how anything could ever be "rushed" to beta. There is rushing to full release, but that's not the case here. It's explicitly meant for testing. That means that, yes, no matter how small or silly the bug is, that's what the beta is for. It's good that you reported it, but that doesn't make beta a "buzzword." (seriously, what?) The beta starting whenever the developer wants has nothing to do with this. No matter what state of broken-ness a piece of software is in, a beta is going to help figure out those problems, and even find problems the developer didn't know was there. Rushing would be releasing the IDE and claiming it's finished, right now. A beta means the developer is intending to take time fixing problems first - i.e., the exact opposite of rushing.

As for charging for it, business decisions are always iffy to talk about. We don't really know how much money YoYoGames is making, or whether they need the additional profit. But I do bet that sales for Game Maker Studio 1 drastically dropped after GMS:2 was announced, like someone described in a post above. For a lot of us, we were going to move over to GMS:2 anyways.

R

Rusty

Of course the Beta was a little rushed. YoYoGames isn't a self functioning company anymore, it has to respond to deadlines and demands by it's owners. Stuff like this happens sometimes when you have to meet deadlines. It's not a big deal and you seem to know that so it's no harm done really. Since GMStudio 2 is still heavily in Beta it's not strongly recommended that you transfer your life's work over onto it because killer bugs are around and one will eventually get you.

Being rushed isn't all together that much of a bad thing though. Being able to get our hands on a product a little earlier might been it's a little buggier, true, but at the same time it means we got to get our hands on the product earlier and test it out. Arguing over it is pointless, it is what it is, but YoYoGames is (at least in my experience) very helpful when it comes to resolving problems with their product and that's all these situations can really come to.

So you mean to say a beta is just that, no strings attached? As if we haven't seen it used for marketing purposes, or pushed to sell an unfinished product (commonly known as 'early access')? You are making the assumption that nobody is allowed to judge a beta build, just because it's work in progress and meant to be riddled with bugs. Yet it's okay to sell, because you can always blame the consumer for purchasing an unfinished product, right?
You do not have to purchase GMS2. At all. YYG offers the beta for free ... with restrictions. But the point is that it is CLEARLY marked BETA. And, as I stated before, BETA means something. It mainly means that software is NOT complete, may be missing features, and will certainly have bugs. So, if you want to support a company, like YYG, by purchasing the beta, that's up to you ... but you still need to understand ... IT'S A BETA!!!! ;)

You see, you, as the consumer, also have a responsibility here. YYG clearly labeled GMS2 as BETA. CLEARLY. And you were and are under no obligation to purchase. You could wait, like I suppose many are, for the final full version release. Or, instead, you could (or may have) opted in early (at a discounted rate, mind you!) and have the opportunity to not only help report bugs, but to shape the software itself via suggestions and feedback.

Or you could whine about something that was clearly marked as beta ... It's up to you, I suppose.

Supporting a developer before a project is complete might seem like a good idea, but in practice it's not.
Then don't. It's pretty simple. You don't have to. No one does.

The beta starts when the developers say so, regardless of the condition or stability of the project.
So, what? The point is, they are calling it a BETA. This clearly means it is not yet ready for full release. Whether the software is closer to an alpha state or closer to a gold master is not relevant. You should know what a beta is before making your purchasing decision. It's that simple. There will be issues. Guaranteed. There will be bugs, some major, some not. Guaranteed. There will be UI inconsistencies, etc. Guaranteed. Get over it and be productive. Or else why did you even bother downloading or purchasing a clearly marked beta version for?