• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Writing extension with Swift instead of Objective-C?

B

BoltsFellOff

I wonder if it is possible to write the extension for the iOS with Swift instead of Objective-C language?
Has anyone experience/knowledge is this even possible?

I have already some experience with the Swift language and it is more "friendlier" than the Objective-C.

T

TacticalCannonFodder

Not to bump an old thread but I'm interested in this as well. Doing things in Swift doesn't look tough overall but the async part could use a good example as the code bits in the documentation/knowledgebase that I found don't apply.

½

½ a cup

If Swift can export DynLib's then yes you will be able to.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
If Swift can export DynLib's then yes you will be able to.
There is prior art of assumptions like this not holding true. Even if a language can output an extension binary, the internals have to line up with GM's handling of strings and reals to make sense in the end. A counterexample would be DLLs written in VB.

Still, I think it's worth a try to see if Swift can be used for the task, instead of sticking to Objective C all the time. Having more known options never hurts.