Development Would using Texture Packer speed up the frame rate for sprites from included files?

otterZ

I have gone past the 2GB 32 bit limit in my project so I'm loading sprites through included files, which are not as smooth in performance as sprites I have added in Gamemaker Studio 2's IDE.

My question to anyone who has used Texture Packer to create texture sheets called from included files is . . . did it make a difference? Did the sprites from included files run smoother? Did it increase the framerate as Texture Packer claims?

I took a look at examples of texture sheets that GM automatically generates for sprites added in through the IDE and they look great. Tightly packed and can even put them into texture groups. Does GM do the same great job taking sprites from included files and generating texture sheets on the fly?

Would it result in smoother loading of sprites form included files if I made my own texture sheets using Texture Packer? I guess it would save GM from having to generate texture sheets on the fly. Texture Packer claims to reduce runtime memory consumption. I hope this is the case.

Does anyone have any experience with this and if so, what difference did it make? As I am in two minds as to whether to buy and use it to optimise the loading of the large sprites in my project.

Would be great to hear whether other people noticed an improvement in sprite performance or not when using it.