Would GMS2 be a good engine for a survival game?

X

xHaydenx

Hi.

I'm trying to decide what would be best for a top-down survival game out of GMS2 or Unity. I'm not a programmer at all, so I'm not sure which is the better fit for the systems I want to have. Was hoping I could get some opinions here.

Some of the systems I'd eventually want include:

- Crafting
- Player needs such as hunger, thirst, fatigue, temperature, etc.
- Combat - player would be able to throw a spear, shoot a bow, attack with basic melee.
- Day night cycle.
- Cooking.
- Basic building. Players wouldn't be able to just build whatever they want anywhere. They would be able to build campfires and setup tents and the like, but big things like a cabin or a hut would be something that is already there, but has to be repaired.
- Inventory system.
- Procedural maps - Not fully procedural, but just if a map was made up of say 10 rooms, then maybe there'd be a few rooms that are always in the same spot, but the rest were mixed and matched each time the player started a new game.

Thanks.

L

Lonewolff

Answer is always yes to these types of questions...

Although, if you are not a programmer at all, you will fail with any engine you choose.

X

xHaydenx

Answer is always yes to these types of questions...

Although, if you are not a programmer at all, you will fail with any engine you choose.
I'm not going to be programming it. I'd be handling game design, organizing the team and providing funding.

Also, your sig is great lol. Haven't heard that variant before.

H

Homunculus

As said by The Sorcerer, this is a frequent question that always has the same answer. Provided you have the knowledge and resources, you can do everything you want with GM. The only thing I'd want add is that GMS2 is essentially a tool aimed at the development of 2D games. While you can definitely build 3d games as well, you're going to have a hard time if that's your goal.

W

Wigfrid

Depends on your personal skill, honestly. What GM can do is irrelevant if you can't utilize it yourself..

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
As with most other topics of this kind: None of the things you listed are limited by the capabilities of the software. The limit is your creativity and how much time you're willing to invest into learning how to program, how to use GM and how to combine both of these to create what you want.

breakmt

You can do it with almost any engine. Question - why do you care about engine if you will not be developer of the game? Let developer choose engine which he/she prefer.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
If you won't be the one coding, let the programmer you hire pick the tool of his/her specialty. Picking the tool for the programmer when you don't have working experience in that tool is an awful HR decision. It needlessly increases the cost of onboarding, the time for building features, and the risk of the project coming undone.