• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Would a game launcher be feasible for online GMS games ?

So recently, Ive been playing RuneScape by Jagex, and they have a game launcher which you download for your computer , depending on your OS. When you run it connects to the internet and runs this client which loads up the logon screen for RuneScape, after you logon then comes the world selection page, after you select the world then you conncect to the game's GUI - all within the client. The client does not open the web browser, unless it is told to by a feature in the game client.

I was thinking what if GMS had a game launcher engine for the HTML license ( which I have ), so that instead of using the web browser, instead you use the game client which launches the game online and runs it from that interface. The game client would be separate piece of software created by the GMS game client engine , which creates a customized client software for your online GMS game. That way you could achieve the same thing of not having to use your web browser in the same way that the game launcher for Runescape works. I have no idea if this can be done with Javascript which is totally a different langauge than what Jagex is using for programming RuneScape.

What do you think?

flyinian

Hello fellow Runescaper, <--- cringe? lol.

More features the better.

Wouldn't this be the same?:

Html version on a website and a windows version downloaded onto desktop. I don't have the technical knowledge but, I would guess that both are the same. it's just two different ways to connect to servers. At least this is how I see runescape/jagex does it with their web and desktop versions.