Design World map designed - How to implement???

HawtTrash

Hello all,

I am making a game similar to SMW (Super Mario World). It will have a "world map" screen after each level where you can choose your path and even backtrack if you want.

I have my world map designed far enough where I want to start putting it into the game and doing some coding on it. However, if I was to save the image out it would be HUGE. Should I break the image into sections and create several background layers that basically stitch the image together? Or is there a better way to accomplish this.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Attachments

Last edited:

Rob

How about using a view that only shows a portion of the map at one time? Or did I misunderstand the question.

HawtTrash

How about using a view that only shows a portion of the map at one time? Or did I misunderstand the question.
Right now my view port is 1920x1080. The map right now could fit roughly 6-8 1920x1080 view ports in it, so it's a HUGE image. I guess I imagined if I save out that huge of an image it could would not be efficient to have one image that big as the background. I thought it might take up too much computing to display it when walking around over the top of it, if that makes sense.

I guess my original solution was going to break it into several different images, make each image as a background layer, and then x or y offset them to look stitched together. I wasn't sure if that would be considered best practice or not?

Rob

Why would you need to stitch them together if you're using a view to follow the player around a map?

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
I would suggest splitting it into screen-sized tiles and then arranging them onto a tile layer. Make sure that your texture page size is set to at least 2048x2048 to accommodate them.