• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Workspace Suggestion

R

ratfish2k

I think the workspace has a lot of potential, although it could use a few tweaks. My biggest issue is that I don't really like editing code in the workspace. It's fine as long as you're only looking at code for a single object, but as soon as you need to view code from multiple objects, it can become cumbersome.

One solution would be to divide the workspace into a static code window with tabs, and have the other section remain the same. When you click on an event, it could automatically chain the object to it's event code.

Example gif+image:
example_gif.gif

workspace example.jpg

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
First, you can always "maximise" the windows which will make the code fullscreen and then you can split into multiple columns if you like.

Second, in Preferences under "Text Editors" there are a few options to help you adjust whats best for you.

Open scripts in a full screen editor
Open shaders in a full screen editor
Open object events in a full screen editor

We will probably add more options as folk suggest them.... the current setup is very much a "default" view of things.

Lastly, you can also drag a workspace tab out making a whole new desktop, and then place these side by side if that's what you're wanting.

DeScruff

I'm thinking your suggestion is similar to what I was thinking of rather recently.
Just kinda a... second layer shall we say in the workspace that things stay where they are relative to the screen, or kinda like a 2 column mode where one column is the actual workspace, and the second is your code windows.
Just so your code windows aren't constantly moving around as you hop object to object, making it easier to read.

csanyk

I think the workspace has a lot of potential, although it could use a few tweaks. My biggest issue is that I don't really like editing code in the workspace. It's fine as long as you're only looking at code for a single object, but as soon as you need to view code from multiple objects, it can become cumbersome.

One solution would be to divide the workspace into a static code window with tabs, and have the other section remain the same. When you click on an event, it could automatically chain the object to it's event code.

Example gif+image:
View attachment 6946

View attachment 6947
This is an interesting take on the "how to fix the GMS2 Workspaces UI" problem that everyone has an opinion on. I like the idea of a code editor window taking up maximal area in the IDE window, and having the full frame of the code editor window in full view at all times. One of the things I most dislike about using the Code Editor in a Workspace context is that the Code editor window becomes just another form floating about in the workspace, and most of the time it is sized and positioned in a way such that you can't see a lot of code, and you can't see the bottom of the editor form, which is where code completion hints are displayed. @ratfish2k's solution addresses those problems rather well, while still connecting the object editor to the code editor. I think this idea holds some promise, and it would be interesting to see it developed. If it were an option I would definitely try it out.

hdarren

I wish there was a "use GM1" workflow option. GM2 requires a big resolution and/or multiple monitors to use.

G

Guest User

I wish there was a "use GM1" workflow option. GM2 requires a big resolution and/or multiple monitors to use.
You and me both. I've been trying out the beta today and there are lots of things I like about it a lot, but I have to say I really dislike the new workspace thing, its so annoying and cluttered to work with. a real pain unless you have like a 4k monitor.

If YYG added a "GM1 layout" option in GMS2, I'd be very content with it!

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
Lastly, you can also drag a workspace tab out making a whole new desktop, and then place these side by side if that's what you're wanting.
Can you clarify further on this? I've tried this but the workspace always opens code tabs in the window where it's located, no matter if it's the primary window or not.

rIKmAN

1920x1080
Yeah same resolution I'm running, and same as other people I have read with issues with it feeling cramped - the weird thing is that I didn't think it felt cramped at all.

Maybe because I'm using a 42" screen so it's spread out over a larger surface area and doesn't seem as cramped - I know that doesn't really make sense....

I do have a list of things I like / dislike and bugs to post at a later date (I'm sure Mike can't wait for another suggestions thread haha!) but I have only used it for a couple of small test projects which come in under the beta limitations, so maybe I haven't hit the same "cluttered" issues people who have already bought it and are managing larger projects have hit.

If you search the forums a little for "workspace" and "suggestions" there are a load of suggestions which might make things feel a little better for you.
They also might not, but they are probably worth trying as from reading those other threads myself I can almost certainly say there is no GMS1-like window mode coming.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Can you clarify further on this? I've tried this but the workspace always opens code tabs in the window where it's located, no matter if it's the primary window or not.
Like Chrome - left mouse down on the workspace tab and drag it downwards. It'll create a whole new window. You can sit these side by side if you like. You can then drag whatever you like to each window.