• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Workspace rendering problem

Mick

Mick

I mentioned I had an integrated Intel graphics card which is true, but my laptop actually has two graphics cards, the other one being a NVIDIA Quadro 2000M. There is an option in the NVIDIA control panel that programs should use the NVIDIA card but it seems that GMS2 uses the Intel graphics card anyway. I changed the BIOS setting to only use the NVIDIA card and now the problem is fixed (rendering ok in GMS2). This way the battery life of my laptop will be shorter since NVIDIA Optimus can't be used (not a big deal). That being said, there seems to be in issue with rendering on some graphics cards, are you aware of this @Mike or @rwkay or should i file a bug report?

Last edited:

rwkay

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
GMS2 uses OpenGL so not sure how that selects which Graphics Card to use

Russell

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
This isn't a bug. This is the IDE scaling things down, much the same as would happen if you scale down a sprite in your own game. We do not change DPI levels, or do anything particularly fancy with shrinking, and depending on your graphics card and/or driver, it can appear worse than normal. But all we do is shrink everything as a normal game rendering does. We have no plans to change it at the moment.

Mick

Thanks for the reply @rwkay :)

There is this option in the NVIDIA control panel to choose the preferred graphics card:

When having both the integrated graphics and NVIDIA enabled in the BIOS, GMS2 uses the integrated graphics card instead of the NVIDIA card even if I choose the preferred graphics processor to be the NVIDIA one. When the integrated graphics card is disabled in BIOS, all programs are forced to use the NVIDIA card and then the workspace is rendered correctly.

I assume that there is some problem with the integrated intel graphics card and OpenGL antialiasing.

Mick

This isn't a bug. This is the IDE scaling things down, much the same as would happen if you scale down a sprite in your own game. We do not change DPI levels, or do anything particularly fancy with shrinking, and depending on your graphics card and/or driver, it can appear worse than normal. But all we do is shrink everything as a normal game rendering does. We have no plans to change it at the moment.
Ok, I see, thanks. I will see if I can find a better / newer driver for the integrated Intel graphics card that can fix the OpenGL issues. Since my laptop has two graphics cards, this is not a big deal for me, just wanted to know the reason. :)