• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE Workspace / Editor controls

V

Variss

Will there be any option to customise some of the workspace controls? I am finding the mouse wheel moving vertically (instead of a zoom) around the workspace to be quite annoying, considering we can already pan around by holding space (and have to do so to move horizontally anyway, as far as I know?). In other windows, I keep trying to zoom in to a sprite and just moving it off the screen. Having to hold ctrl to zoom in and out does not feel good at all.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Afaik, no... we did focus testing using mouse to zoom and tbh it was actually quite horrible to use. DOesn't mean it won't be an option in the future, but only if a LOT of people ask for it.

rIKmAN

Afaik, no... we did focus testing using mouse to zoom and tbh it was actually quite horrible to use. DOesn't mean it won't be an option in the future, but only if a LOT of people ask for it.
What do you mean by horrible?
It's pretty much industry standard to use the mousewheel to zoom.

V

Variss

Yeah I don't get that at all. Almost every other editor I've used (unity, blender's node editor, ue4) all use mouse wheel for zoom and some combination of a key+mouse button to pan (or just a mouse button) and it feels great. I have no idea how adding an extra key to the zoom functionality makes it feel better. Having the mouse wheel pan up and down just seems really redundant, since you need to use another key combo to pan left/right anyway, and that also allows you to pan up and down. The option to switch it would be great, so I guess I better hope more people agree.

Thanks for responding so quickly with the info.

G

gamible

I think you should have the option to customize your Workspace controls. I could get used to holding Ctrl, but it'd be a lot easier to just zoom like GM: Studio.