• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Working with devlogs?

K

K4iser

Hey!

So I've recently gotten into game development, and made pretty decent progress. So I recently decided to make a small free project of mine, one that I will release. Now as a former freelancer in marketing, I understand the importance of marketing myself if I ever want to stand out enough to have anyone play it. Devlogs are obviously a great way to do this.

However, what is your personal take on how to do devlogs? I already have a blog that I could post on, but of course, it has nearly 0 readers. I could also do devlogs on sites like itch.io. Or, my idea, to mix between the two. Basically write on my blog and then make a promotional devlog once in a while on a more established site.

But that also takes me to the bigger issue. There are devlogs of super professional developers out there where you can learn a ton, so why would anyone read my devlog? Is there really any point in writing a recurring log if you're a complete amateur?

Thanks.

sylvain_l

But that also takes me to the bigger issue. There are devlogs of super professional developers out there where you can learn a ton, so why would anyone read my devlog? Is there really any point in writing a recurring log if you're a complete amateur?
for me

- as gamer.
if I don't know the game/dev yet; news/devlog is useful to see if the game is still maintained, in progress, etc... But this comes kind last in line, after the trailer, gameplay footage, screenshot, description, etc... to see if it worth give it a try.(or if it's abandoned, never got finished)

if I know/care about the dev/game, well it's nice to have news (the content kind slip secondary)

- as dev.
devlog for myself:
I don't do it as a hobbyist. simple.
but I've read some writing that it was useful as a diary; to unclutter your mind of all your idea/your design process; problem-solving idea or struggle, or keep track of your "victory". And rereading it be it a week/month/year later can help to see the progress on your game, have a second look of your decision, design, ideas - also can be cool to retrieve them, not forget them - or your dev skills (or if a problem is recurrent, pinpoint where you should perhaps focus your next learning/skills improvement; or things you could try to do differently in the next project).
Also as a general rule, writing help/force you to organize your thoughts before writing them, its a worth practice just for that.

devlog from other:
I read one from time to time; but mostly come to those via google search, when I search about a subject.
can be useful, if it goes deep into detail, with technical explanation etc... so I can grasp knowledge I can reuse myself in my dev. (which kinda hard to hit the sweet spot, because it must not be too advanced that I can't understand and not too easy that it kinda feel useless XD )
but the thing is also you must kinda before have proven yourself as a good dev. so I'm confident the advice, solution you give are worth my time.

I think it's really hard to write devlog if you think too much of that like me, because it's kinda impossible to target all the profiles (gamer & other dev, all with different interest). And too many opportunities to procrastinate for me.

Now as a former freelancer in marketing; I assume you know way much more then me on how to do marketing analysis (analyze which kind of devlogs works/how/why, why/how to write to engage the type of audience(s) you want to target and ways to grow that audience.

There are devlogs of super professional developers out there where you can learn a ton, so why would anyone read my devlog? Is there really any point in writing a recurring log if you're a complete amateur?
I'll tell you why: Devlogs are great if you want to give your audience insight on how you do things, and could be a great opportunity to represent your character as a game dev. Amateur or not, devlogs are also good to keep track of your progress. As @sylvain_l already mentioned, rereading devlogs can help refresh your memory on previously drafted ideas, and perhaps provide some extra motivation as you see yourself progress as a dev. And who knows, maybe you'll interest new people to support the project by providing assets and possible investments. Even though I know probably 5 people (if I'm lucky) are reading my devlogs, I write them more for myself while I'm still a novice. Plus say you do end up making a hit game, people can look back at your previous projects and notice the evolution, and sometimes you'll get even more praise because of it. Your hard work is documented, therefore it'll be noticed, especially if your applying for some game company.

TL;DR: Devlogs are ultimately your footsteps as a game dev. Even if you're getting no traffic, you should write them anyway so you (and other people) can track your progress.

I assume people read dev blogs because they like the look of your game. If anything you can get search engine traffic for appropriate articles / blogs.

I've never had luck with itch.io. Seems the community section over there is small despite how many devs are on there. I've had more luck posting dev blogs here.

You might want to go to Youtube for (video) blogs. It seems there's a greater potential to get fans.