• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Working with 3D in GMS2

T

TCG

I purchased GMS2 a few months ago and just recently really started to dive into it, then I realized that while it is mostly something used for 2 dimensional works it can also do 3D. However, It has many roadblocks to that (even though it seems the versions prior did have more "3D support") and I was wondering two things:

• Are there any in depth tutorials to working with 3D models and such?
  • Will there be more support for the ease of using the IDE in this regard? I much prefer the way this feels than, say, Unity.

Thanks in advance; any information would be useful to me.

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
1. I have it understood that GMS2 has BETTER 3d support than older versions, although some of the functions got name changes, getting things grouped up into "gpu" functions instead of d3d functions from before. But I don't remember anything being lost in that translation.

2. There are a good bit of tutorials and examples. In fact you could find some right here on this forum, as well as the marketplace, and a general google search would help as well.

3. It has been made pretty clear by Yoyo that they aren't really interested much in getting 3d support into GMS. They have given us the basics required(shaders, custom vertices, and others), and they are missing some things too. That being said, there is supposed to be a feature coming to GMS2 at some point that involves IDE plugins(which I think would work similar to Unity's system). If this works like I think(and hope) it does, then we would be able to make our own IDE stuff, so that 3d editor would be possible, as well as other stuff for 3d.

T

TCG

Oh? That is awesome. Thank you!

Tech support...? How is this more related to technology and not a question for the community to answer? I understand moving it if it's in the wrong subforum, but why tech?

Last edited by a moderator:

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Tech support...? How is this more related to technology and not a question for the community to answer? I understand moving it if it's in the wrong subforum, but why tech?
The description of this section said:
Get help from the community on technical issues in GameMaker Studio 2. Please read the forum guidelines before posting, and if you have any programming questions, then they should be posted in the Programming Forum using the "GMS2" prefix.