[Working Prototype] - Billy Block

M

Mr. Butterbean

This platformer will be unique in the sense that the player will favor speed over jumping, just like such run 'n' leap classics as Pitfall! and Keystone Kapers.

In this game - really just a working prototype ATM - you play a lowly block in a 1-bit monochrome laser-light world who can only jump so high, but his speed makes up for it, allowing him to leap over wide obstacles, such as treacherous pits and deadly spikes. However, due to his limited jumping ability, he needs to make use of zig-zagging stacked platforms to climb - and that's not always easy, due to the iffy jumping system currently.

As you can see, this is actual gameplay of the first level of only two currently; a simple start to the game. What I've just told you earlier is in that image, and I plan on adding many more levels and elements to make this an actual WIP project.
As I mentioned, this is why I put this in the Game Design forum, as opposed to that for WIP projects; it is not a serious game just yet; merely an experiment - extremely basic game. As I've said, I've just got started with GameMaker again, so don't expect this to actually get off the ground at all anytime soon.
Other than the rather less-than-optimal jumping and collision system, this prototype is pretty much bug-less.
However, because I currently have the trial version of GM, I will not be able to provide you a download link so you can actually play it. But I am considering, if it ever gets finished, making it freeware on these forums, and other websites; I'm not really into going big ATM.

Since this is a very basic base to Billy Block, what do you think I could, or should add onto it? This is why this thread has the Feedback tab, so please feel free to discuss the heck out of it.

Note to mods: If you feel this is really a WIP project, please move it to its corresponding forum. Thank you.

Genetix

Well - if we are talking about design ideas... Play some Super Meat Boy and let them breed all kinds of ideas, also take some cues from Bro Force. Add hazards like Saw blades and such forth to challenge the player. The 2 color design can work but even then you could add a bit more detail in the some the sprite to help them stand out a bit. That also being said I would add 1 more color - blood red!

M

Mr. Butterbean

Well - if we are talking about design ideas... Play some Super Meat Boy and let them breed all kinds of ideas, also take some cues from Bro Force. Add hazards like Saw blades and such forth to challenge the player. The 2 color design can work but even then you could add a bit more detail in the some the sprite to help them stand out a bit. That also being said I would add 1 more color - blood red!
Thanks for the feedback.

But here's what I would say to this:
  1. Yes, thanks for the inspiration of saw blades, I can't believe I've never thought of that. (Although I have thought of the same obstacle; just as the spike sphere tile.)
  2. But let me set something straight: I intend all of my games to be "rated" E for Everyone; accessible to kids, families, and the wholesome player, so there's no blood in Billy Block. The only "blood" I would ever consider adding is Billy breaking apart into 16 4x4 white tiles upon death.
  3. I've actually intended for the player to be this simply drawn; it looks like some lazy game designer just splattered that on a 16x16 canvas to be used for pretty much every object in his game; a humorous aspect of Billy Block; he looks like he would never become a hero, much less a true one.
Speaking of the ESRB, I would only play up to E10+ and some T-rated titles, but no M- and AO-rated ones, so I wouldn't really find SMB enjoyable for me.
And so since I don't intend on playing either of these games, wouldn't it really hurt for you to just give me at least a few more ideas from them directly?

Genetix

Fair enough - making a game kid friendly can be challenging! Did you ever play Sonic 3d Blast on the Sega Genesis back in the day? In that game Sonic has to collect these little bird things called 'Flickys' in each level, then drop them off at a certain point. Maybe you could do something similar, have some kind of collectible items across the stage that have to be gathered up in order to progress forward.

M

Mr. Butterbean

Fair enough - making a game kid friendly can be challenging! Did you ever play Sonic 3d Blast on the Sega Genesis back in the day? In that game Sonic has to collect these little bird things called 'Flickys' in each level, then drop them off at a certain point. Maybe you could do something similar, have some kind of collectible items across the stage that have to be gathered up in order to progress forward.
I did play 3D Blast on GameTap, back in my preteen days, but not the original Genesis version.

While we're OT, required collectibles are a possibility, but I'd rather have my players get through the stages as quickly as possible, so I can't guarantee myself this will come to be.

Don't worry; just avoiding anything "bad" will be enough to make all my games all-age-friendly (which was what I meant by "accessible to the wholesome player").