1. Hey! Guest! The 34th GMC Jam will take place between August 22nd, 12:00 UTC (Thursday noon) and August 26th, 12:00 UTC (Monday noon). Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion Working on projects while feeling ill.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Sean Catherine, May 21, 2019.

1. Sean Catherine

Sean Catherine Member

There seems to be pros and cons to this...
    I had a terrible fever and was so sick that I could only stand in the corner of my hallway and look at the paint. When I was relieved after a while —bad experience— I decided to try and work on my project to attempt to ignore my symptoms. I was able to get some very tedious "busy work" done that did not require much creativity, but I was feeling upset with some of my completed "creative" aspects (for which had long been done, but because I felt so horrible it seemed to change my outlook). After all of that, I saw my completed work in a more proper light again —strange.

2. woodsmoke

woodsmoke Member

It's interesting to work on your project with different mindsets.
    Viewing your creative work with a fresh pair of eyes after a longer time span always helps a lot.

3. Niels

Niels Member

When I'm ill l, it means that I at least have time to work on my projects:)

4. Sean Catherine

Sean Catherine Member

I work on my stuff every chance I get. When you get middle-aged you start to feel like 1 day of the present is worth about a week or more from in your 20s.

woodsmoke and Niels like this.
  5. Niels

Niels Member

I'm trying to balance a fulltime job, parenting/family life, Gamedev, gaming, and staying healthy :)

Wigfrid and Sean Catherine like this.
  6. Sean Catherine

Sean Catherine Member

No kids on my end... You've got a full plate dude. God speed.

7. Gamebot

Gamebot Member

I find myself all though a bit slower, programming and playing games better when ill.

8. RichHopefulComposer

RichHopefulComposer Member

I relax when I'm sick... plenty of time for gamedev when you're healthy.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  9. Sk8dududu

Sk8dududu Member

My wife is so incredible when I'm sick. I get a serious case of the "man cold" occasionally and she helps a lot with our daughter and nursing my back to health. Lol
    I can't even play games when I'm sick, never mind work on one. But I do keep a notepad around me to write down ideas and I often do a lot of brainstorming when I'm ill. Whether that is for games, art, songs or whatever.
    The different headspace really does give you a new outlook on old things. But I see it as a positive thing. When I get better I'll know if it was actually a good idea or if I took to many drugs.
    Speaking of which, is also a great way to give your self a different headspace for some creative energy.

10. Sean Catherine

Sean Catherine Member

I'm always writing notes into my phone or whatever. And at times when I shouldn't be, but who wants to forget an idea...

Sk8dududu likes this.