• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Working directly from Google Drive (desktop) pops up warning

Hi Gamemakers!

My Gamemaker Studio 2 projects live in Google Drive. I use the desktop version for Windows 10 and, until recently, everything worked just fine. Just within the last week, Google updated it's desktop program, and now Gamemaker is constantly popping up the following message:

Project Directory Modified

Changes detected in project directory 'C:\Users\username\gamedirectory'. Would you like to reload the resources, or save?
WARNING: Save will only update the resources that are currently held in memory, and therefore may not restore some deleted or edited files.

Reload | Save
It usually gives me this message when I create a new Asset like sprites or objects. Sometimes it does it when I edit some code in an asset, but not every time. I've just been hitting the "Reload" button, and nothing seems to break, but the constant popups are driving me crazy. Is anybody else having this issue? Is there a setting somewhere I need to adjust to properly work out of Google Drive?

Thanks!

Roldy

Hi Gamemakers!

My Gamemaker Studio 2 projects live in Google Drive. I use the desktop version for Windows 10 and, until recently, everything worked just fine. Just within the last week, Google updated it's desktop program, and now Gamemaker is constantly popping up the following message:

It usually gives me this message when I create a new Asset like sprites or objects. Sometimes it does it when I edit some code in an asset, but not every time. I've just been hitting the "Reload" button, and nothing seems to break, but the constant popups are driving me crazy. Is anybody else having this issue? Is there a setting somewhere I need to adjust to properly work out of Google Drive?

Thanks!
Most likely GMS is working correctly. However if Google drive is touching files (via syncing most likely) then it will be seen as a change. You can change GMS file watcher settings, but you would be better off making changes to google drive.

File Watcher

chamaeleon

I hope you have proper backups and source control to protect you from corruption due to two different systems (GMS vs Google Drive) trying to keep things in order but in doing so conflicting with each other. Or stop using a cloud location as your project working directory.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Definitely stop using a cloud drive as your working folder, or at the very least ensure that the cloud drive is not actively syncing while you're working on your project. Having two processes work on the same files is the equivalent of two doctors who wear bracelets that will shock them if they touch each other during open-heart surgery.