• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Workaround for streaming Mp3 files?

Hi everyone,

I have a project where users can import their own music. I know that audio_create_stream only works with .ogg files. I was wondering if any workarounds have been developed for streaming .mp3 files.

I've heard that you can stream .wav files with a buffer and audio_create_buffer_sound. I've never tried that and I haven't learned how to use buffers yet. But could that be done with mp3 files?

Another thought I had was to run a command line for an external program that could convert Mp3 to ogg. I have an extension to "execute shell" already. Do you know of any external programs which I could call?

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
Another thought I had was to run a command line for an external program that could convert Mp3 to ogg. I have an extension to "execute shell" already. Do you know of any external programs which I could call?
ffmpeg is a good bet, but you may be able to find something more compact that does only MP3<->OGG or MP3<->WAV conversion specifically.