• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Work flow using GMS2 and the source control plugin

A

Alwaysusa

So me and a fellow dev are starting a project in GMS2, and we're in the process of testing out the built in source control system. I've seen several issues mentioned here in older threads, and am trying to work out the best way for us to work around the issues we're having when pushing and pulling.

If one of us makes changes to the structure of the resource tree (say adding a new group and moving existing assets into it) - the other dev will create new view files after pulling. These files reappear when the project is reopened even if reverted, so the only solution seems to be for them to push their view files, and then for the original dev to pull that commit so both have the same content.

Does this sound right to everyone else? It's manageable because we've established that no project organization work is to be done until both devs can stop content work for a brief period - but it's also kind of cumbersome.

We've also noticed that some changes to the resource tree seem to affect the project file - which cause further conflict issues and requires the puller to reload the project - but we're not sure what actions update the main project file. Can anyone enlighten us on that?

Many thanks!

Reactions: JAG

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Anything that introduces a new folder node will cause conflicts in the main project file. This includes adding the first of any kind of resource (sprite, sound, object, etc.), or adding a folder group to the project.

Anything that changes the ordering and/or content of a folder group will cause conflicts in a file from views. This includes adding any subfolder groups, rearranging resources, or adding new resources in a folder group.

It's all part of a big problem that several advanced users and I have been petitioning in vain to get resolved. As it stands, there's no way I'm ever using GMS 2 at a production-level, collaborative capacity with this monkey on my back.

Reactions: JAG
A

Alwaysusa

Anything that introduces a new folder node will cause conflicts in the main project file. This includes adding the first of any kind of resource (sprite, sound, object, etc.), or adding a folder group to the project.

Anything that changes the ordering and/or content of a folder group will cause conflicts in a file from views. This includes adding any subfolder groups, rearranging resources, or adding new resources in a folder group.

It's all part of a big problem that several advanced users and I have been petitioning in vain to get resolved. As it stands, there's no way I'm ever using GMS 2 at a production-level, collaborative capacity with this monkey on my back.
Thanks Frosty. Yes, I saw some of those threads and was hoping something had been addressed. I guess not. It's always hard to manage the priorities of any large project, but I would think source control management would be way at the top of the list unless the engine isn't intend for a major production.

Good info on what's causing the project file to change. That helps me a ton - thank you. I can see a cumbersome workaround for now (scheduled organization commits) that'll allow us to continue. If our team grows to more than 2, I guess we'll have to readdress at a later date.

Thanks again!