Question - IDE Word Wrap

Discussion in 'GameMaker Studio 2 Community Tech Support' started by schmoo, Apr 27, 2017.

1. schmoo

schmoo Member

Is there any word wrap for the code editor? I can't seem to find any.

If not, is there some way to request this feature? Seems like a no brainer.

2. BaBiA Game Studio

BaBiA Game Studio Member

I believe you just need to raise it as a bug/suggestion through the bug tracker page (or through the GMS2 IDE - if that bit still exists). But other than something like notepad++, I can't think of another coding utility that I use where it word-wraps.

3. gnysek

gnysek Member

Wordwraps in programming are generally bad, as it breaks code readability. Also, a non-written rule is to keep in 80 characters manually.

4. Mike

Mike nobody important GMC Elder

word wrap is evil, and summons bugs to your code while your not watching..... it's almost always written by squirrels. We don't employ squirrels, so we're not looking to add it.

obscene likes this.
  5. schmoo

schmoo Member

I use word wrap because I have to set the font size quite high because of my poor eyesight. I always hear people say it's bad, but I personally believe it to be very intuitive after a bit of getting used to. Of course it would be an optional feature thats off by default

Mike likes this.
  6. Mike

Mike nobody important GMC Elder

That's actually a fair enough reason.... I'm all for making things more accessible. I'll add it to our backlog (not promises when - could be a loooong time).

................need to hire a Squirrel now.

obscene, Noba, schmoo and 1 other person like this.
  7. Schwee

Schwee Member

Normally not a fan of text wrapping for obvious reasons but it would be very useful for a section I have here that is essentially a collection of very long strings.