• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Wont actively refresh changed files

D

David Robinson

A team mate of mine and I are working on a project together and when i save the file from my work station it automatically updates his screen and file in real time, but when he saves changes i cant see anything, i have to close out the file and reopen it. we both downloaded the GameMaker on the same day and are running the same file structure. the only difference is i downloaded it from the web page and he downloaded it from Steam.

we are both running (v1.4.1757) and the "Always reload changed files" is checked on both.........any ideas of why?

oh and we are active file sharing through google drive because there is almost zero wait time from when we save it till the program files update on the other system.

K

KriLL

Hi,

If you are using google drive then surely 1 PC has the files on them, the other PC is then updating the files to google drive which then syncs them back to the main PC? Then I would imagine that the main PC is the one whos files update automatically?

If you are on the same network could you just share out the project folder and try it over the LAN instead?

D

David Robinson

The drive file is a reflection of the online folder so both ends have equal rights and share instantly, the issue is, the google drive is working just fine and i can see the file on my end update but the open project wont update, and on his end his folder updates in real time but his actual project window updates in real time too.

D

David Robinson

so just to update the info here, i decided to try and uninstall everything on my end and then downloaded steam and downloaded it from there to test if it was that at all. and still no difference. i see the files in the drive folder update but my active window wont update, and his end still does. i decided to seek more information so we went over system differences. and we can across the fact that im running windows 8 and he is running windows 10. could this be the issue or is it more likely something else.

K

KriLL

so just to update the info here, i decided to try and uninstall everything on my end and then downloaded steam and downloaded it from there to test if it was that at all. and still no difference. i see the files in the drive folder update but my active window wont update, and his end still does. i decided to seek more information so we went over system differences. and we can across the fact that im running windows 8 and he is running windows 10. could this be the issue or is it more likely something else.
I use google drive myself to sync my game to the cloud, share it with my graphics designer who can then upload any updated files he makes which then syncs it back to my PC. I share my google drive (under my account name) files with his Google account.

Is each PC signed into Google drive using the same credentials to log into the desktop client with? If not then are you using personal Google drive (the one I use) or the Google drive for work version?

Id try either using the same account across both PC's or trynig out the Google Drive For Work version and see if that has better collaboration features.

I cant see Windows 10 or 8 making any difference.

Are you on a LAN or both working away from eachother? You could share your Google drive folder out over the network and see if that works any better.

D

David Robinson

i have a personal "project" google drive account witch i assign access to others with folder sharing, once i do that it shows up on there desktop drive app and we now have 3 on the project and the other two can real time refresh with the GameMaker open. we are all 3 not on the same network, we are in different locations around the city. the google drive shows a real time update and refreshes as we work but only my GameMaker doesn't show realtime changes.

google files are all updating the right way and working well. it seems to be the GameMaker is not actively refreshing the files while the GameMaker is open

i can try to make a work drive if i can and see if that changes anything, or if anyone else has ideas of file sharing, im open to any ideas, this little bug is slowing us down quite a bit.