1. Hey! Guest! The 32nd GMC Jam will take place between Feb 22nd, 12:00 UTC (Friday noon) and Feb 25th, 12:00 UTC (Monday noon). Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

With the Google+API Shutdown Google play services has stopped working

Discussion in 'Game Design, Development And Publishing' started by Evandro Aguiar, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Evandro Aguiar

Evandro Aguiar Member

Google is shutting down the Google+API and the current Google Play Services extension stopped working because it uses "Plus.SCOPE_PLUS_LOGIN" to login (wich is deprecated like one year ago).
    WE NEED A UPDATED, it's a shame that a official extension doesn't have a update for one year.

More info: https://developers.google.com/+/mobile/android/api-deprecation

2. Evandro Aguiar

Evandro Aguiar Member

Ok. It's just me that have a game published that uses GPS?

3. Mool

Mool Member

I used google play services too and i have no problems

4. Evandro Aguiar

Evandro Aguiar Member

It's a progressive shutdown, i have 3 devices and GPS still work in one but not in the others. Untill March it will not work for any device...

5. Evandro Aguiar

Evandro Aguiar Member

If you're having the same problem you can use the "Google Signin" extension ($19.99 on Marketplace) but it doesn't support Achievements and Leaderboards.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  6. Mert

Mert Member

I'm also worried about this because my apps use Google Play Games extension too. For now, I'm planning to stop using leaderboards and achievements up until the new extension is rolled out.

Evandro Aguiar likes this.
  7. FrostyCat

FrostyCat Member

I simply do not understand the passivity that so many people demonstrate around here about official extensions. This is not the first time that YoYo has neglected their official extensions in face of a vendor API deadline, and it won't be the last. The extensions come in source code form, so it's not like we're entirely powerless.

Sure, it's morally YoYo's job to keep the official extensions up to date, and on the Roadmap they'll take a detailed sweep of it in Q2 2019. But they might not get to the root of all of this in time (given how far the backlog in official extensions go), and after this blitz they'll likely leave it in the attic again for another year. The chances of YOU having to self-service the extensions in the meanwhile to meet a deadline is almost certain.

I'll cut you guys a deal: If you guys learn to take it into your own hands and pick up some basic Android extension skills, I'll commit to learning these skills as well. Then we can all have each others' backs until YoYo starts taking things seriously, if they ever do. Or you can learn another engine where the equivalent extensions are actively maintained and don't require your manual intervention every damned time, it's your choice and YoYo deserves it if you take that route.

Mert and Evandro Aguiar like this.