Players
roytheshort - 4/10 HP; 2 ATK; 0 DEF; 5 MOV [Piano'd]
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)

Lukasmah - 10/10 HP; 4 [+2] ATK; 0 DEF; 5 MOV; 2 gold coins
* Sliceum Sabre - +2 ATK. This item is destroyed if it is ever dropped or used in combat.
* Bottle of Rum - This item is actually sentient. If it is in a player's inventory, it will moan and complain about how it has to help Mercerenies update WUAS. It whines so much that any space the player passes is treated as though the player landed on it.
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)

rougebare - 10/10 HP; 2 ATK; 0 DEF; 5 MOV; 1 gold coin
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)

Mr Magnus - 9/10 HP; 4 [+2] ATK; 0 DEF; 5 MOV; 1 gold coin
* Sliceum Sabre - +2 ATK. This item is destroyed if it is ever dropped or used in combat.
* Photograph (Turn 600) - Retains an image of the board at a specific moment. Can be expended at Photo Booth spaces. When a Photograph is expended in this way, it is removed from the inventory.
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)

Kepons - 10/10 HP; 6 [+4] ATK; 0 DEF; 5 MOV; 1 gold coin
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)

Snake is Pink - 10/10 HP; 2 ATK; 0 DEF; 5 MOV
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)

Roa - 10/10 HP; 2 ATK; 0 DEF; 5 MOV
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)

New Effects
* Upstairs Space (gray space with black stairs and up arrow) - A player who is on this space can spend one movement point to move vertically upward one space, on the game's Z axis.
* Downstairs Space (gray space with black stairs and down arrow) - A player who is on this space can spend one movement point to move vertically downward one space, on the game's Z axis.
* Normality Blaster - This item can be used once per turn. All squares that are two or less spaces away (using Manhattan distance) from the player become spaces with simpler effects. This item has no effect on neutral spaces, gaps, Start, or the Altar.
* Line Paster - Single use. Select a cardinal direction and a space type. Every space directly in that cardinal direction from you (excluding the space you are on) is rewritten to be the space type you chose. This item will not rewrite gaps, nor will it convert spaces into gaps. This item cannot be used to create or rewrite Start or Altar spaces.
* Insane Tony the Talking Clock (20 HP; 1 ATK; 5 MOV) - Chases nearby players each turn, battling anyone he passes and anyone who passes him. Whenever Tony passes a space with "clock" in the name, he sucks the clock power out of the space, converting it to a neutral space and gaining 1 ATK in the process. Spaces with "clock" in the name do not affect Tony.
* Genie Clock Space (light blue space with genie lamp containing clock hands) - A player who lands on this space can select a target player. That target player's MOV becomes whatever the landing player chooses for the next turn. The chosen MOV can be no less than 1 and must be a finite, natural number. At the end of the next turn, that player's MOV is reset to whatever it was immediately before this effect. A player cannot be targeted by a Genie Clock Space two turns in a row.

Items / Tokens
* Boa Destructor
* Normality Blaster (x4)
* Line Paster (x4)
* Friendly Boa Constructor Head (3 MOV)
* Insane Tony the Talking Clock (20/20 HP; 1 ATK; 5 MOV)
* Angry Baseball Batter (5 ATK; 5 MOV) - Chases whichever player the GM chooses, attacking anyone he passes and anyone who passes him.

Happenings
* roytheshort warped to the Altar.
* Kepons lost 3 HP but gained 6.
* The shop gave Mr Magnus a Photograph from Turn 600. Nobody really knows how the shop ended up with it in the first place, though.
* Lukasmah unlocked the secret console room of the game. His token flowed through all of the game's code itself (about like this but with computer code). Unfortunately, in his panic all he managed to do was convert the space he was on to a Make Merc Say This Space. The Konami Code glitch was subsequently patched and the cheat code itself made inaccessible.
* The space to the left of Start is now an Upstairs Space. Check the Announcements for how this Z-axis mechanic is going to work.
* The space to the right of Lukasmah is now a Genie's Lamp.
* Four Normality Blasters appeared. Note that one of them appeared on the second floor.
* Four Line Pasters appeared. Once again, one of them is on the second floor.
* Insane Tony the Talking Clock appeared. He wants nothing more than to suck the clockiness out of all the clock-themed spaces on the board and use their power to take over the world.
* Some Clock Spaces are now Genie Clock Spaces. Since "some" is a very loose term and the effect is very powerful, "some" means "two".
* Angry Baseball Batters appeared. They have no HP stat since the GM endowed them with invincibility and massive rage.

Announcements
* The Cannon Space is a non-optional effect, but since Roa could have just fired a cannonball onto a random, empty space, it makes no difference.
* So yeah, this is now a 3D board game. For the sake of brevity on the forum, I'll only be posting the Z=0 board as an image. You'll be able to see the other layers on the interactive version. Unlike with the X/Y axes, you cannot move freely up and down the Z axis; you have to use a stairway space or some other effect. Also, by default, falling through a gap on a higher board does NOT result in you landing on a lower board. It results in being sent back to Start and losing 5 HP, like normal. Also note that non-player tokens will understand Stair Spaces and move up/down freely if they choose.
* I tried to make the Genie Clock effect fair, so it only lasts one turn and can't be used to target the same player consecutively. That way, you can't permanently reduce someone's MOV to 1 by repeatedly landing on a Genie Clock Space.
* After the fact, I realized I could have made the "Angry Baseball Batter" be some cake batter mixed with a baseball, but I'm too lazy to go back and change the effect.
* Yeesh, this update took forever. Though admittedly, most of the time was spent programming a freaking third dimension into the interactive board.

Kepons

Lost The Bet
Oh, I misunderstood. You can shoot as far as you like, as long as the target square is horizontally/vertically aligned with the cannon.

Mercerenies

Xd I want to use the cannon to fire myself the 5 spaces granted or what ever it was, can I also move after?
Technically, the Cannon effect was supposed to take place last turn. Other players in past games have made similar mistakes, and I'm pretty lenient about it, so if you decide where you want to be fired, we can pretend you did that last turn, which means you can move afterward. The cannon will let you fire yourself as far as you want, in one direction.

Also, a reminder to everyone (including Roa) that the blue Clock Space effect is not optional, so if you pass one of those you have to specify a target.

E: Ninja'd

R

roytheshort

Left 1
Up 3
Left 1

I grab the Line Paster.
I make a VERTICAL LINE UPWARDS of Line Paster Factories (Not on the Z axis, in case you try something), which give you Line Pasters if you land on them.

All the batters are coming after me aren't they?

Roa

Alright so yeah, I shoot out of the cannon and go up (which I think is five as per the rule, take my damage, then go left 3 times, and then up one.). That should put me at the alter if I follow the rules right?

Mercerenies

Turn 14 - Calm Before the Storm

Interactive Map

Players
roytheshort - 4/10 HP; 2 ATK; 0 DEF; 5 MOV [Piano'd]
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)

* Bottle of Rum - This item is actually sentient. If it is in a player's inventory, it will moan and complain about how it has to help Mercerenies update WUAS. It whines so much that any space the player passes is treated as though the player landed on it.
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)

* Normality Blaster - This item can be used once per turn. All squares that are two or less spaces away (using Manhattan distance) from the player become spaces with simpler effects. This item has no effect on neutral spaces, gaps, Start, or the Altar.
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)

Mr Magnus - 9/10 HP; 4 [+2] ATK; 0 DEF; 5 MOV; 1 gold coin
* Photograph (Turn 600) - Retains an image of the board at a specific moment. Can be expended at Photo Booth spaces. When a Photograph is expended in this way, it is removed from the inventory.
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)

Kepons - 9/10 HP; 6 [+4] ATK; 0 DEF; 10 MOV; 2 gold coins
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)

* (None)
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)

Roa - 9/10 HP; 2 ATK; 0 DEF; 5 MOV
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)

New Effects
* Line Paster Factory (green space with black arrow pointing to game board and question mark) - A player who lands on this space receives a Line Paster, unless his inventory is full.

Items / Tokens
* Boa Destructor
* Normality Blaster (x3)
* Line Paster (x3)
* Insane Tony the Talking Clock (20/20 HP; 2 ATK; 5 MOV)
* Angry Baseball Batter (5 ATK; 5 MOV) (x3) - Chases whichever player the GM chooses, attacking anyone he passes and anyone who passes him.

Happenings
* Roa launched himself from the cannon and took 1 damage.
* Kepons took 1 damage from Agony.
* Kepons got a gold coin!
* Kepons' MOV doubled.
* roytheshort used a Line Paster to make places to make more Line Pasters. Line Paster Factories appeared.
* rougebare got a Normality Blaster.
* Insane Tony sucked the clock power from the Grandfather Clock.

Announcements
* Roa, to move over the Clock Spaces, you have to choose a target for the effect. You can still get to the Altar this turn and make your wish, but to do so, you have to obey the clock effects.
* The smiley cog is not awful, or replacing it was the wrong choice. Or, Construct is greater than or equal to Game Maker.

R

roytheshort

Now, that Batter is coming after me. I don't appreciate this, and I will probably get batted to death at the end of my turn.

Up 1
Get Line Paster

I shoot Downward Input Spaces downwards. These spaces do the following, they look at the space below them, and create a copy of it to the left and right. If there is no visible space below it, it uses the space above it. Upon landing on these spaces, you gain 2 random items.

Seems harmless right? What a harmless concept for a space! It just takes the space below it and creates it to its left and right instantly.

(I'd like to point out "below", "above" and "downwards" do not refer to the Z axis, which should make this space easier to deal with.)

R

rougebare

down 1, right 1, grab item right 1 more. I think i'll stay here for now.... and devise what i'm going to do.

Mercerenies

Okay, so before the update, let me explain what happened here. Some of you may have noticed that Roy's Downward Input Space causes an actual paradox when it encounters the Start space. If Start weren't there, it would happily transform all of the lower half of the board and be done, but since it can't change Start, it actually runs into a problem where conflicting DI Spaces fight over a transformation in between them.

I ended up running a computer simulation of the game board with those specific spaces encoded into it (comonads are great, by the way; made this ten times easier), and found three paradox points. Those three positions simply became Infinity Spaces, which I'm being intentionally vague on the description for below, but I do have a pretty good idea what they're going to do if someone hits them. If anyone is interested, I'm happy to share the code that I used and explain what I did in more detail, but I don't want to annoy everybody else here, so I'll gloss over that for now.

A couple of other things happened though. The Upstairs Space is gone, so while Rougebare can still climb down, there's no way for someone to get back up to the second floor right now. Finally, I debated how to handle the Sax Space with respect to Downward Input's flooding effect, and I finally elected to treat it as four separate spaces. When the DI Space encountered the Sax Space, it "broke" it, turning it into four gaps and converting the lower half of the gaps. The upper half was never affected, since Start blocked its spread.

Anyway, here's the update, you bunch of sadists.

--

Turn 15 - Storm After the Calm

Interactive Map

Players
roytheshort - 10/10 HP; 2 ATK; 0 DEF; 5 MOV [Piano'd and dead'ed]
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)

* (None)
* (None)
* (None)

* Line Paster - Single use. Select a cardinal direction and a space type. Every space directly in that cardinal direction from you (excluding the space you are on) is rewritten to be the space type you chose. This item will not rewrite gaps, nor will it convert spaces into gaps. This item cannot be used to create or rewrite Start or Altar spaces.
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)

Mr Magnus - 7/10 HP; 2 ATK; 0 DEF; 5 MOV; 1 gold coin
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)

Kepons - 9/10 HP; 6 [+4] ATK; 0 DEF; 20 MOV; 2 gold coins
* (None)
* (None)

* (None)
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)

Roa - 9/10 HP; 2 ATK; 0 DEF; 5 MOV
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)

New Effects
* Downward Input Space (dark blue space with white downward arrow) - Whenever a player lands on this space, that player receives two random items. This space will copy the space effect below it into the adjacent left and right spaces. If there is no visible space below, it will use the space above it. This space will copy space effects whenever the left and right spaces do not match its intention. This space will only affect visible spaces.
* Infinity Space (middle green space with sharp blue infinity sign) - This space has reached a point where time has no meaning. A player who lands on this space will feel an infinite length of time pass and will enter the realm of infinity. This space cannot be modified by other space effects.

Items / Tokens
* Boa Destructor
* Normality Blaster (x3)
* Line Paster (x1)
* Insane Tony the Talking Clock (16/20 HP; 2 ATK; 5 MOV)
* Angry Baseball Batter (5 ATK; 5 MOV) (x3)

Happenings
* Roy got a Line Paster.
* Kepons got a Line Paster.
* Kepons MOV doubled again.
* Rougebare got a Line Paster.
* Tony attacked Mr Magnus. Mr Magnus retaliated with a Sliceum Sabre. Mr Magnus took 2 damage, and Tony took 4.
* Tony and a Baseball Batter made a Happy Face angry.
* A lot of nasty stuff happened to the board. Thank Roy for that :)
* Roy has been beaten to death. Wonder how that happened...

Announcements
* I'm not tempted to just stay where I am and keep making you say nothing. I lack a rum bottle, meaning I am unable to use the space every turn.

R

roytheshort

Down 4

My plan for next turn is I'm going to get that line paster and make UPWARD INWARD SPACES.
Let's see what happens!

Also I collect my items from the space.

Kepons

Lost The Bet
Are the coin spaces affected by items like Line Pasters and such? I know they can't be modified by wishes.

Down 3.
Use Line Paster to the right to make Yellow Springs.
Right 1.
Jump to the right, land on Yellow Spring, jump to the right and so on until I land on the space where the Line Paster is and get it. Then I choose to jump upwards.
Up 4.

Last edited:
R

rougebare

Use line paster to the left to make line paster factorys. Yep I'm intentionally trapping myself. I'm going left 3 spaces too.

Mercerenies

Couple of notes. This isn't an update; that'll wait a bit longer.

(1) The space two to the left of SiP should be a neutral space. I just noticed that earlier today. That will be corrected in the next update.
(2) DI spaces, line pasters, and the like cannot modify gold coin spaces. The coin spaces are entirely protected from effects, just as they are from wishes.
(3) Kepons' yellow springs are going to cause the DI spaces to have a heart attack. I'm computing DI effects using a Haskell program that does all spaces simultaneously, so there's no question as to which one will get copied over "first".
(4) Rougebare, I don't know what you're planning, but that is a legal move. If whatever you're doing fails, remember that you can always jump off the board to go to Start and take a 5 HP penalty.
(5) Finally, Lukasmah, I'm assuming that's a satirical post since the Genie's Lamp doesn't work that way, but I figured I'd remind you anyway.

Lukasmah

Couple of notes. This isn't an update; that'll wait a bit longer.
(5) Finally, Lukasmah, I'm assuming that's a satirical post since the Genie's Lamp doesn't work that way, but I figured I'd remind you anyway.
I may or may not have misread the description.

Still, Roy altar lamp, k?

R

roytheshort

Just letting you know I'll be using this when I'm at the Altar next turn.

upload_2016-9-10_10-14-6.png

R

roytheshort

Ahahaha! I'm at the altar next turn! I'm going to go through THE ENTIRETY OF MY People's Mafia role list and make a wish relating to every single role. Every. Single. One.

Even the Sexy Roytheshorts role.

Mercerenies

Do you all actually want WUAS back? If so, I'll probably make a few concessions.
(1) New map, of course. The Turn 15 map was a mess.
(2) Weekly updates, like WB had. Hopefully, this will make the game sustainable for longer periods of time.
(3) Not sure about the interactive map on the website. I'll try and get that working but it was getting to be a bit of a monster too, from a coding perspective.

Kepons

Lost The Bet
Why not continue this one? Roy would ruin the next one, anyway. /s

But sure, this is a really cool forum game and I'd love to play some more.

M

Misu

Turn 16 x 20 - It's over!

It appears that Roy descending upon the altar has cause a chain reaction to the universe, transcending into a dark void. Everyone got caught within the transfusion and died. Roy, on the other hand, manage to survive the phenomenon by remaining at the altar. He is now floating in the middle of the void with nothing left in the universe (Except We are number one - somewhere on the far left)

ROYTHESHORT WINS THE GAME! Good job!

Interactive Map
The final statistics of the game
Players
roytheshort - ∞/10 HP; ∞ ATK; ∞ DEF; 99999999999999999999 MOV; ∞ gold coins
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)

Lukasmah - 0/10 HP; 0 ATK; 0 DEF; 0 MOV; 2 gold coins
* (dead)
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)

rougebare - 0/10 HP; 0 ATK; 0 DEF; 0 MOV; 1 gold coin
* (dead)
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)

Mr Magnus - 0/10 HP; 0 ATK; 0 DEF; 0 MOV; 1 gold coin
* (dead)
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)

Kepons - 0/10 HP; 0 ATK; 0 DEF; 0 MOV; 2 gold coins
* (dead)
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)

Snake is Pink - 0/10 HP; 0 ATK; 0 DEF; 0 MOV
* (dead)
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)

Roa - 0/10 HP; 0 ATK; 0 DEF; 0 MOV
* (dead)
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)
New Effects
* None! Because the game is over!

Items / Tokens
* Boa Destructor
* Normality Blaster (x3)
* Line Paster (x-1)
* Insane Tony the Talking Clock (16/20 HP; 2 ATK; 5 MOV)
* Angry Baseball Batter (5 ATK; 5 MOV) (x3)

Happenings
* Everyone used their Line Pasters.
* Roy got to the altar.
* The Universe has been destroyed.
* All players, except Roy, have been terminated by the void.
* Roy wins the game!

Mercerenies

WUAS is back!

After some firm words of encouragement on the Discord server, Wish Upon A Star will be returning by popular demand. I'll be looking over the rules tonight and changing a few things (mainly, I'll be editing the website and getting it ready for the new game; that codebase is a mess and I want to slap Mercerenies from a year ago for writing it), but for now, please indicate your interest by posting a picture of a slice of pizza. Oh, and also a 16x16 sprite to use as your token. I'll post the starting game board here when I get everything ready.

Mercerenies

Turn 1 - Let the Games Begin

Players

Misu - 10/10 HP; 2 ATK; 0 DEF; 5 MOV
* Pepperoni Pizza - Single use. Gain 3 ATK for the current turn. Simple and straightforward.
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)

amusudan - 10/10 HP; 2 ATK; 0 DEF; 5 MOV
* Pineapple Pizza - Are you actually going to eat that? Single use. Permanent +1 ATK, but when you use this item, you're left with Memory of Pineapple Pizza in your inventory.
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)

Lukasmah - 10/10 HP; 2 ATK; 0 DEF; 5 MOV
* Variety Pizza - Single use. Gain 1 ATK, 1 DEF, and 1 MOV for the current turn. +1 HP when used.
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)

Bingdom - 10/10 HP; 2 ATK; 0 DEF; 5 MOV
* Bitwise Pizza - Single use. Preserve your energy by becoming bitwise. +2 MOV for the current turn.
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)

roytheshort - 10/10 HP; 2 ATK; 0 DEF; 5 MOV
* Calzone - You just have to special, don't you? In that case, I'm not telling you what this item does. Single use.
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)
* (None)

New Effects
(All of them)

Happenings
* A wild game board appeared!

Announcements
* Welcome back, fellow sadists. Let the fun begin!
* Regarding the website: the WUAS dictionary is up and running here. The interactive board has not been updated yet. I'm going to look and see how hard it would be to update it, and then I'll decide if it's worth the trouble. But the dictionary will be kept up to date with the current game, so you can rely on that.
* You didn't think the pizza images were just for fun, did you?

A

amusudan

1 up, 1 right, 2 up, 1 left.

I wish for every neutral space to become filled with pieces of pineapple.

I eat my pineapple pizza in disgust.

M

Misu

1 up, 1 right, 2 up, 1 left

I wish for a meteor to crash into the board map and destroy everything in there.

Lukasmah

1 up 1 left 2 up 1 right

I wish for a hell tile (
) to appear between the main path and the left coin. That's it. That's the size of hell. One tile. However, this tile is a dangerous one. It occasionally spawns hostile cows. For the sake of fairness, they don't spawn while someone is on the tile. These cows have 2 mov 1 atk 3 hp, they graze lush grass in their island home, and there can only be 3 on the board at the same time. Also, landing on or even just walking over the hell space causes anyone going over it to be covered in a suspicious, probably organic substance that looks and smells like a mixture of apples, dairy, tar, rot and Theresa May's heart that causes various debuffs. It's a vile, terrifying thing that shouldn't exist in our world, yet it somehow does, and is even considered food by some. In the deepest circle of hell it's known as black butter.

EDIT: Also, variety pizza? It's a Margherita, thank you very much.

Last edited:
R

roytheshort

1 up 1 left 2 up 1 right

I wish for a sailor.
I wish it was blue.
I wish for a tailor.
I wish he was you.
I wish for a mountain, two hundred feet tall.
I wish for a sausage, two hundred feet wide.
I wish for your mother, both of the above.
I wish for your father, back with the cigarettes he went out to get 7 years ago.
I wish he had a new girlfriend who is also called Steve but it's short for Michelle.
I wish that a hospital was here, and it hates everyone.
I wish for a big green space that contains the entire bee movie script.
I wish you a merry Christmas and a happy new year.
I wish that every time you cried, one of your friends moves out of your life.
I wish for a Pizza Hut.
I wish for a Taco Bell.
I wish for a combination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell.
I wish for a combination of every restaurant in the world, appropriately named DFHGhdfhgUTYrfghgytrndGFJHdgfFDonalds Country BuffetfdhkgkhdDFGHGryeifnfSteakdfg. It collapses on itself, killing all customers. Only one complains because infinite breadsticks was not truly infinite. He now roams the board in breadstick distress. He is also a ghost because he died.
I wish that every time you go to sleep, you think about a time in your life you weren't happy. This also happens when you wake up. Actually, forget the whole thing, I wish you are always miserable.
I wish that an octopus space appears and it has random effects.
I wish that everyone was inflicted with [Drunk], including the NPCs, especially your mother.

Merc, next time I go up, I'm going to wish for exactly one thing. Just to give you a breather.