[WIP] "I Think This is an RPG?" - A tile based Adventure/RPG

P

philman401

This is the game I am currently working on. I don't have alot of the major aspects of the game yet (like bosses, towns/villagers/npcs and ect), right now it's pretty basic with two different enemies. There are no death state as of yet. The game is meant to be simplistic-ish and something you can just waste your time in. I wanted to make a game where you can just jump in and play. Levels/Maps will NOT be saved, but unlocked characters and achievements (if i add them) will be.

You can view my progress in this playlist:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCaN0W1z4mEJUzRtZfXvhkrZhH4xnktO2

You can also view me just playing the game below with no commentary:

For some reason I can't view video while it's embeded, if you cannot here is link:
Watch Video

Screenshots if you don't want to watch the video(s):
2018_12_22_21_50_17-man.mp4_snapshot_00.39_[2018.12.22_22.14.21].png 2018_12_22_21_50_17-man.mp4_snapshot_02.44_[2018.12.22_22.15.04].png 2018_12_22_21_50_17-man.mp4_snapshot_06.35_[2018.12.22_22.15.28].png 2018_12_22_21_50_17-man.mp4_snapshot_11.00_[2018.12.22_22.16.56].png 2018_12_22_21_50_17-man.mp4_snapshot_13.57_[2018.12.22_22.17.26].png

"I Think this is an RPG?" is the current title of the game.

If you don't want to watch the playlist (I am terrible with speaking):

Current progress list:

Two basic skeleton enemies, a melee and a range.
A really basic inventory system.

Dungeons and Caves
Difference between dungeons and caves are that dungeons are randomly generated and are simple in design, and caves are handmade and you have limited vision. Caves are great for ore mining. There will be randomly chosen layouts, as well as cave types (ie lava cave, acid cave, plain cave ect). Cave type is dependent on the overworld's biome (ie grasslands, snowy, desert, ect), but some will appear rarely on other biomes.

Burning and Poison Debuffs
There are currently only two stats debuffs. Burning will do dot to player, calculating in damage resistance and can get ridden off by spamming your movement keys. Poison also is a dot that has slower ticking, but each tick does a bit more damage than burning. However, moving while poisoned will also deal damage. These two are meant to encourage you to move or try and not move your character, so there will be some strategy to dealing with these debuffs.

Some environments can cause these effects, and these effects can have different behaviors on some enemies.
Currently, the skeletons can be set aflame. They will not take any damage and can't get rid of the flames, but their attacks will start applying burn to you.

Current playable classes:
Knight, Thief, Mage, Cleric, Archer, Logger, Gunslinger, Miner

Not all characters will be available, rest will have to be unlocked playing the game.
Currently, Cleric does not have finished abilities.

Each character has it's own mechanics and controls, and not every character will have any combat abilities (ie logger and miner.)

This game is meant to have a huge roster of characters you can choose from. There will be multiple characters playing with a variant of the same role, ie. there will be many kinds of tanks, various types of healers and supporters, ect.

Some future planned characters
A fisherman type character, alchemist, sage, sniper, stealth character, ect.

There will be cameo/parody characters as well as dumb silly ones (ie a severed unicorn head which is basically a turret-type character that shoots out rainbow lazers out of its horn.)

Controls are meant to be somewhat basic/simple. At the moment it's literally X and F to attack, along with modifier keys (shift/alt/ctrl/tab) depending on the character.

Mage characters are one of, if not, the strongest in this game but can be really hard to use.

Some other mechanics

Every step you take will progress time, and depending how many steps/time passed, or when certain time of day/month/year has been reached, some event(s) can occur.

For example, at the beginning of each day, a cave or dungeon tile will spawn.

Every quarter of the day will spawn a monster spawner tile (at the moment.)
I will eventually let you choose how long a day can be.

There is also a limit to how many events can spawn and that is dependent on the map size. During this time, there is only small, but there will be small, medium and large.

The overworld is randomly generated, and is persistent. Basic dungeons and caves will not be.

Future stuff I am planning:
Campsite you can build to rest (heal hp)
Towns which work like in the old FF games, where in the overworld they'll be icons that fill a single tile and interacting with them will enter a town map that will be handmade. There will be variances in layouts and available buildings. Some towns may have an inn, or church or neither but will always have at least one town hall, one house, one shop and one place of healing.
World bosses
Dungeon specific bosses
A large labyrinthian which is a giant maze dungeon that will be persistant so you can work on exploring and revealing the entire dungeon overtime.
towns can get attacked and you have to save them from enemies.
Different overworld biomes (ie desert, snowy, volcanic ect)
Collectibles (poster art of characters, and stickers that are obtained by doing some achievements, and will provide some passive stats and other bonsues.)

If you watched the videos, you will notice I have added some cheats that won't show up in the finished game obviously, like leveling characters to 100, unlocking all classes, and ect. Right now, all the classes can be cycled through, but on final game you start out with one you choose out of the available roster. You will be able to play with up to 3 characters you can switch between (with a cooldown), and change each of the 3 character slots with a different character.

I haven't really been using game maker alot, just recently gotten back into it. I have used it a long time ago, but made a bunch of unfinished games, with one being somewhat done, albeit really short. I'm figuring out all the gml myself so there won't be alot of advanced stuff as I am still pretty amatuerish. For example, the generation of tiles on overworld and the randomly generated dungeons might be a bit crude. There may have been a more efficient way but there are a couple of reason why I didin't like look up how to randomly generate stuff. One of which if I don't learn everything myself I for some reason won't feel as attached to the project. Second, as I have not really done alot of stuff in game maker, I would really like to see how much I've progressed overtime, but I do believe this is better than what I have made before. Like I said I'm still an amateur, so like most of the ai will be simple and rudimentary, and may or may not work as I intended, but hopefully I can get a better handle at making ai for this tile-based movement game as I further refine it as I go.

There are probably a bunch more things I am missing that I can add, but I'm really looking for some feedback on what I currently have. Like what you think of the overall concepts? Do you like the pixelish style graphics? What do you think of the current character designs and do you have favorite(s)? Have any characters you will like to see?

Last edited by a moderator:

frd

Like the look of this. Feels a bit glitchy when the character moves square, but otherwise great.