OFFICIAL Winter Q&A 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
The real answer to that question (which YYG won't ever admit and only people who were there at the time will understand):

An export... ;)

brian

Not sure what you mean by this but you can draw the application surface yourself so should be able to do anything you want with that. Use the Post-Draw event to get your desired results.
Oh, absolutely you can do this - it's certainly a very niche desire but I'll explain.
One of the projects I work for had been using the "Keep Aspect Resolution" scaling for years, and I needed to implement a custom resolution scaling / cropping solution.

The solution works very well for most screens, but there are certain resolutions (specifically for iPads) where foregoing the custom scaling and being able to disable that code, and switch from "Full Scale" to "Keep Aspect Resolution" at runtime would be a much more elegant way of handling those edge cases.

Certainly not something I'm thinking about everyday, but figured I should bring it up as a "nice to have".

Can the community get in on the feature request side of things? Sometimes I feel like I submit features into the ether only to get a scripted auto reply saying it will be looked at internally. I'm not saying I want a follow up not every idea is a good one but I was thinking more along the lines of a online submission form which the community can upvote on ideas they like. Votes don't mean it will get made but it's nice to know your idea might be shared by others plus yoyo can get feed back from it.

Function variable defaults as of 2.3 are cool but it's still a pain when dealing with out of order optional arguments. Can we address this the same way php now does? some_function_call(some_value, some_value = 4, some_value);

gnysek

it's still a pain when dealing with out of order optional arguments
You can pass a struct and manually assign arguments by it's variable names :)

----

Which makes me wonder if GMS:3 or GMS:GX is coming sometime really soon
Generally it was answered on previous page:
We don’t have any further information to discuss at the moment.
However, with every page of this Q&A, it seems that nearly every feature we ask for is planned for "new runtime" (so it became less and less a mystery), and even some of those that were on old roadmap (before Opera came into play) are pushed to that version too, so 2.x seems to have small chance of any new features to be yet added beyond it's current roadmap. Those that are left are mostly the ones which rather re-use/adds something to existing functionality, or just translates some new IDE functionality into to GML, rather than introducing something 100% new (still GUI or Triggers for sure requires some more work than reusing out of box solutions). If new runtime would be far from finished (it's in work for few years already from what was said), like halfway done, so many features won't be moved to next runtime in last months - which leads me to assumption that it's close to coming soon (but also not in few weeks, as then it would be announced already).
It would have be nice if features chosen to be added yet to current runtime were adjusted in a way, that estimation of current roadmap would be really close to estimation of when new runtime could be ready, so those could smoothly transition between, but as list of what's coming in next release is generally provided for next release only (so about one month), even if my wish would be true, it's still hard to guess any dates, as they may be wrong by 1 to 12 months :p
My bet would be for some date in 2022, only because I see no sense in spoiling so many info if that would be 2023 :p There's a chance that for today nobody knows date yet, as features list might be not frozen yet for first release :p

S

Sam (Deleted User)

Will the linux export ever be able to build as a standalone AppImage? Seeing as I added support for this using a custom tool I wrote in under a few hours, I can't see much reason not to do this. Quick and easy. Not much to maintain. Will make all your linux users very happy.

Rafael_Lima

Extensions are the way to do this, we’re not planning on supporting it.
Is there any extensios out there to do that? Because I've requested this, it would be really good to be able to turn off border window, and also change the display resolution, something Gamemaker used to be able to do in the past.

S

Sam (Deleted User)

Is there any extensios out there to do that? Because I've requested this, it would be really good to be able to turn off border window, and also change the display resolution, something Gamemaker used to be able to do in the past.
Border Toggler, available here: https://samuel-venable.itch.io/gamemaker-extension-collection I can write an extension which can change screen resolution and make it cross-platform. Although if you really want it I respond quicker to being paid.

drandula

How smooth was ownership transition from Playtech to Opera?

I would assume acquisition wasn't blindly made, but seen as potential and Opera had plans and strategy beforehand, and of course clarified after. How well these plans have came to fruition?
What have been major setbacks in execution of these plans, if any?
In business there are always risks, but are there currently any major threatening risks you acknowledge? Can you tell us about those?

Have you been happy with Opera, and has Opera been happy with you? :)

Did you have any "welcoming" or "get-to-know" party with Opera? :D

Edit. Also you could reflect these questions to time when Playtech acquired you years ago. Did they have plan, or just bought new asset? Etc.

Edit 2. Now as new runtime is in the making, are you planning to include possiblity of using other languages, other than GML? This I find unlikely, but I wanted to ask ☺
Now second, what you think about native Vector-type? Is it "no-no" and we need just do it ourselves with structs, or like it would be nice to have but..?

Edit 3. What about operator overloading? Just thought that it would be nice to have if one wants to make automatic differentation system in GML for some purposes :p

Last edited:

gnysek

Are you planning to add a feature/functionality that would make it easier to localize our games with different languages?
It was on "old" roadmap, so since some of features from it seems to be moved to "new runtime", I'm also interested, if it's still planned.

CMAllen

Is it possible to expand the tile set and tile layers systems to include support for mask-based tilesets, instead of having the 'blending' of tile sets effectively hardcoded into the tile set's pixel data? A good mask-based tile set system can create a lot of variation with a lot less data.

Lance

Full support for FMOD and WWISE require improvements to the extension mechanism and toolchain these are coming in the New Runtime and we are looking to support external libraries such as these in that timeframe. You are welcome to create your own extension on the current runtime to support them, we are not planning to.
That’s great to hear. Is the ETA of this new runtime public knowledge yet?

we are looking to support external libraries such as these in that timeframe.
When you say “support” does this mean that Yoyo will be developing extensions for FMOD and other external libraries, or that you’ll be relying upon users to create such extensions?

milleson

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Is it planned to add analytics to GXC? I really wonder how many people have played my game on there. From what I can tell: at least 3. Since that is how many people have joined my Discord and said they played the game there.
We have plans to extract a lot more statistics for creators, so it's coming up! Likely it will be done in batches, likely we will start with exactly what you asked for with total unique plays and expose that in DevCloud.

Btw, Decks of Dexterity is great! :D

Zhanghua

Is there any plan to sovle the google reCAPTCHA issue of CN for registering up and logging in auth.opera.com?

For this issue, we cannt use GX version normally.

D

Deleted member 16767

Will GXC be able to save files (like .png) to your local drive in the future?

milleson

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Is there any plan to sovle the google reCAPTCHA issue of CN for registering up and logging in auth.opera.com?

For this issue, we cannt use GX version normally.
Yes, however Opera Account project is handled by a separate team so I can't really say too much atm. But reCAPTCHA issue is known and we know of alternative solutions to use that is allowed in CN.

Will GXC be able to save files (like .png) to your local drive in the future?
Very likely, probably videos as well. However not top priority just yet, so not something you can expect this year but early-mid next year I would hope!

Coded Games

Is there any plan to improve the "Top Rated" sort on GXC? Right now it's seems kinda dumb, or easily gamed. It doesn't take into account the number of ratings. You can upload a game, rate it yourself 5 stars, and it will immediately be at the very top because it's 5/5 stars. While a game that's really good with 100 five star ratings, if it gets 1 four star rating it will drop from the top page even though it's very highly rated.

In conclusion, Top Rated sort should be based off a weighted average instead of just a basic boy average

Last edited:
Is there any plan to improve the "Top Rated" sort on GXC? Right now it's seems kinda dumb, or easily gamed. It doesn't take into account the number of ratings. You can upload a game, rate it yourself 5 stars, and it will immediately be at the very top because it's 5/5 stars. While a game that's really good with 100 five star ratings, if it gets 1 four star rating it will drop from the top page even though it's very highly rated.

In conclusion, Top Rated sort should be based off a weighted average instead of just a basic boy average
Interesting, initially I thought you were wrong, because I could see games at the top with rankings that weren't 5, so I tried rating mine 5 and it didn't show up. Then I realised you could order ranks by popularity or ratings and yeah, my recent 5 rating pushed mine right to the very top when I sorted by ratings. Seems as though maybe the ratings use most recent rating as a second order sort or something? Would be good if that little loop hole was adjusted.

Coded Games

Interesting, initially I thought you were wrong, because I could see games at the top with rankings that weren't 5, so I tried rating mine 5 and it didn't show up. Then I realised you could order ranks by popularity or ratings and yeah, my recent 5 rating pushed mine right to the very top when I sorted by ratings. Seems as though maybe the ratings use most recent rating as a second order sort or something? Would be good if that little loop hole was adjusted.
At the very least, a game with two 5 star reviews should be positioned higher than a game with one 5 star review. At the moment it does not appear that is how it works. Is seems like it's sorted by average stars, and then like upload date.

iampremo

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
In regards to the sprite/image editor rework; will the goal be to replace dedicated software such as aseprite or is the goal just to simplify the workflow itself since from what I understand is that you'll be combining the sprite editor and image editor in some way.
We’re not looking to replace dedicated software for creating your sprites but looking to have a better workflow.

iampremo

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
Can the community get in on the feature request side of things? Sometimes I feel like I submit features into the ether only to get a scripted auto reply saying it will be looked at internally. I'm not saying I want a follow up not every idea is a good one but I was thinking more along the lines of a online submission form which the community can upvote on ideas they like. Votes don't mean it will get made but it's nice to know your idea might be shared by others plus yoyo can get feed back from it.
It is something that we have discussed internally but there is an overhead involved with this that we would rather invest into GameMaker directly.

iampremo

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
Function variable defaults as of 2.3 are cool but it's still a pain when dealing with out of order optional arguments. Can we address this the same way php now does? some_function_call(some_value, some_value = 4, some_value);
This is something that we are considering

iampremo

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
Will the linux export ever be able to build as a standalone AppImage? Seeing as I added support for this using a custom tool I wrote in under a few hours, I can't see much reason not to do this. Quick and easy. Not much to maintain. Will make all your linux users very happy.
If you've not put in a feature request please do.

iampremo

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
How smooth was ownership transition from Playtech to Opera?
Quicker than expected and very smooth considering the size of both companies.

I would assume acquisition wasn't blindly made, but seen as potential and Opera had plans and strategy beforehand, and of course clarified after. How well these plans have came to fruition?
They had ideas before we came on board and we are starting to see some of those coming into fruition.

What have been major setbacks in execution of these plans, if any?
No not really

In business there are always risks, but are there currently any major threatening risks you acknowledge? Can you tell us about those?
The biggest risk right now for pretty much everyone is Covid, but we seem to be coping well with it so far.

Have you been happy with Opera, and has Opera been happy with you? :)
Yes, very, but you’ll have to ask them about us...

Did you have any "welcoming" or "get-to-know" party with Opera? :D
Not yet...

Edit. Also you could reflect these questions to time when Playtech acquired you years ago. Did they have plan, or just bought new asset? Etc.
They had a plan but we are still waiting to find out what it was….

Edit 2. Now as new runtime is in the making, are you planning to include possiblity of using other languages, other than GML? This I find unlikely, but I wanted to ask ☺
We could tell you...

Now second, what you think about native Vector-type? Is it "no-no" and we need just do it ourselves with structs, or like it would be nice to have but..?

Edit 3. What about operator overloading? Just thought that it would be nice to have if one wants to make automatic differentation system in GML for some purposes :p
Not in GMS2 timeframe

iampremo

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
Is it possible to expand the tile set and tile layers systems to include support for mask-based tilesets, instead of having the 'blending' of tile sets effectively hardcoded into the tile set's pixel data? A good mask-based tile set system can create a lot of variation with a lot less data.
That's not really something that we have considered and would probably have separate tilesets for these.

iampremo

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
That’s great to hear. Is the ETA of this new runtime public knowledge yet?
Not that's publicly available..

When you say “support” does this mean that Yoyo will be developing extensions for FMOD and other external libraries, or that you’ll be relying upon users to create such extensions?
Nothing to announce about this yet.

gnysek

Not that's publicly available..
That's good news IMHO, cause with every "we'll see how feature X will work, and then decide" it's getting harder and harder to estimate any date - if there's one already, that must mean it's after concept and experimental part and goes along burndown chart, bringing us closer to public release, rather than being one big sandbox in which everything is yet possible :)

My question - with new runtime, can we get rid of begin, end and := from GML? It's last trace of Delphi and Pascal origins of GML :p

Director_X

GM-Integrated new-user-friendly PHYSICS system (D&D)! :)
(eg, perhaps input boxes for density, rigidity, liquid/fluidity, flexibility/springiness, bouncability/boinginess, mass, britleness, direction, speed, inertia, gravity, volume, weight, etc etc !! o_O )

I am not an amazing coder and the current physics system is alien to me - so it must be eas[y](ier) to grasp for newcomers! ;)

Thanks.

gnysek

Will there be foreach function?

Is it planned to allow to allow to split runners, so only selected can be updated instead all? (as we have beta every Tue/Thu, that requires to re-download 9 runners even if not needed).

Yes, it will be part of the inspector for room/sequence instances
What about accessing them in code? For example, if I create a generic "attack" animation for a turn-based game, with the intention of switching the sprites to match the attacking/defending objects after creating the sequence in code, there's currently no clean way to do that. I've hacked around it by having the instances created inside the sequence add themselves to a data structure on creation then accessing instance IDs from that structure, but it'll break if internal changes mess with the order instances are created in.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.