• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

OFFICIAL Winter Q&A 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cameron

Can we get the Filters and Effects in the sprite editor?
We have discussed this internally but nothing that we are ready to commit to yet
I would like to add to this request. Can we also have the ability to set the built in filters and effects like a shader as well like so:
GML:
shader_set(built_in_filter_effect_x);
//some draw code
shader_reset();
or via specific built in effect functions like so:
GML:
effect_set(built_in_filter_effect_x);
//some draw code
effect_reset();
same thing really but maybe gives some additional control on your side for encapsulation on internal variations of implementation

or even more specific since different effects have different parameters:
GML:
effect_distort_set(parameter args...)
//draw code
effect_reset()

Last edited:

Mool

1. I want to say: GMS is great and I love using it for 6years now, I even was able to build a business ontop of it.

Now my critical question:

Will there be a better customer support? In the past I sometimes had to wait over 1 year for a bug fix, which was essential for me.
Even now I still have open requests, which are important for me. If it would be open source, then I could fix them myself.

Thanks! :)

1636400749271.png

gnysek

Even now I still have open requests, which are important for me.
IMHO their hekpdesk works a little like mail app - I've noticed that all my unanswered tickets seems to have "last update time" few days later than report times so for sure somebody looked into it, but didn't answered (maybe wanted to pass it to someone else), and it seems to be not displaying for hekpdesk staff on unreaded/awaiting list anymore. I may be wrong, but for me it looks that they are only checking "unreaded" tickets, cause I'm either getting answer in 24-48h, or I'm seeing "update time" changed in that period, and nothing happens for weeks.

1. Will there ever be support for editing resources using external software? (This used to be a thing). I'm having headaches when trying to import lots of sprites from aseprite to gm.

2. Pointers in gml? ๐Ÿ™

Karlstens

In the spirit of being open and honest we are looking to increase our communication with everyone.

We are kicking this off with an Ask Us (nearly) Anything thread her on the forums, you can ask us questions about GameMaker, YoYo Games, Opera, or GXC (please note that we will not be answering any questions about Lemmings, feel free to ask those on Twitter...).

We will endeavour to answer all of your questions and we are not putting a time limit on how long we will dedicate to responding, we will work through them all as they come up and feel free to post follow up questions if you have them.

Russell
Thanks for posting this thread, awesome idea! ๐Ÿ˜ป

I can't get enough emoji in my life ๐Ÿ”๐Ÿ˜Ž . When will Yoyo implement a GameMaker Studio emoji campaign that'll bring easy emoji to the masses?

1. Will devs be given the tools to add emoji into their games with minimum effort? IE, if I want a burger/cat/tree floating on screen, within an object I'd like to execute;

GML:
draw_emoji("๐ŸŒฒ")
2. Will devs ever have the ability to type and execute emoji within their source? For example;

Code:
var ๐Ÿ‘ฝ๐Ÿ”จ = instance_create_layer(๐Ÿš€.x,๐Ÿš€.y,"๐ŸŒŒ", ๐Ÿ‘ฝ);
Thank you for such awesome progress in GMS2! ๐ŸคŸ

poliver

Will there be isometric support for tile layers? Unity and Godot have it and they're more generaliized engines rather than just 2d.
ATM trying to create something isometric in GM is harder than 3d and people actually default to 3D with orthographic projection to save their sanity as depth sorting gets mad. It's kinda broken in both Unity and Godot so it would be a great area to develop.

Ever considered letting people setup external sprite editor by default as most people prefer to use Aseprite or Photoshop.

A lot of people try making rhythm games using GM and it's a pain. Any improvements coming in that area? Also running audio effects like filters etc using buffers on the same thread using GML is too slow.

Will you ever bring back Steam Achievements like they were in GMS1? Would GM appear on other platforms?

Will you add goto to GML?

Any plans on phasing out old JSON functions and DS structures at some point?

Last edited:

drandula

As you have plans for updating shader support and with them, add compute shaders, I would like to know general gist how one would use compute shaders in GMS2?

For example, would you set a normal buffer as a target, or do you need to use surfaces? Do you set up compute shader like other shaders, staging buffers (or surfaces) as inputs and setting uniforms?

On the sidenote, do you have plans for supporting 3D textures/surfaces and floating point textures?

I would like to see shader resources became bit like scripts in 2.3.: instead script being the function, it declares functions within. Similarly shader resource could define several shaders, not just the single shader.
(Well actually scripts now executes all code within it, and function declarations are just globally scoped. But you get the point I meant ;) )

Just as a wonky thought, could shaders be embedded to scripts, so you wouldn't need separate shader asset type ๐Ÿ‘€ like if creation of shader is similar to function, for example
GML:
shader shd_test {
#GLSL_ES
vertex(uniform, ...) {
  //
}
fragment(uniform, ...) {
  //
}
#HLSL
vertex(uniform, ...) {
  //
}
fragment(uniform, ...) {
  //
}
}
Though in that case intellisense should know to highlight shader specific things. And I don't know if that is feasible ๐Ÿ˜…

DiscoPogo

The IDE and runtime extension points are limited, which means most of the features improvement comes from YY.
What drives the features priorisation? (User voice? Surveys? Highest bidder in commercial space? a barometer?)

Posh Indie

That Guy
For the future GUI updates I am curious if there will be a new resource (GUI Resource) where you can design the GUI visually and call the resource for display/interaction at will?

I saw multiplayer was going to be made simpler, which is awesome (Making things easier/nicer to use is always a good thing), but I am curious if there will be a better input management system down the line as well? I know some engines handle it nicely with a configuration in the UI (UE handles this very nicely, for instance).

Mehdi

Sequences are definitely the best addition to GM (in my opinion of course)
My question is: Do you plan to continue developing it more and more (and make it more convenient and fix those bad bugs)?
Or has it reached a stable point for now and you aren't going to improve it drastically?

Dragonite

Just as a wonky thought, could shaders be embedded to scripts, so you wouldn't need separate shader asset type ๐Ÿ‘€ like if creation of shader is similar to function
Off the top of my head, the first thing that comes to my mind when I see this is the ability to (re)compile shaders while the game is running. Probably a bit overkill for GameMaker, but that would be very interesting indeed for some of us...

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
1. I know Audio Engine improvements have already been mentioned, but can we take these amazing things into consideration? ๐Ÿ™
  • FFT algorithm (Fast Fourier transform, the best thing ever, especially for rhythmic games);
  • Audio effects (like: reverb, echo, flanger and others).
And in such a way that it works on all platforms, especially Android/iOS and HTML5, and others.

----------

2. It will be possible update the OpenGL version to 3.0 or higher?
Which include improvements to arrays and others.

----------

3. Will we have class system in GML?

----------

4. In the future it will be possible to no longer use the object editor and do something like this?
Example:
GML:
class obj_controller : Object
{
    #define solid false
    #define visible true
    #define use_physics false

void Create()
    {
        score_variable = 100;
        some_text = "";
    }

void Step()
    {
        score_variable++;
    }

void DrawGUI()
    {
        draw_text(10, 10, score_variable);
    }
}
Obviously to make it easier:
  • When creating an object, automatically insert the example code above.
  • You can add Code Blocks with all predefined events in the code editor:

Last edited:
Really neat initiative from Yoyo to start this thread. Better get into it before it goes off-rail!

Question 1:
Can we expect support for isometric and hexagonal grids tiles in the 2.x lifetime?

Question 2:
Can we expect to eventually have IDE plugins in the 2.x lifetime?

redantgames

Well here I go...

1) Will GMS ever natively support webcams and built-in video cameras? Many of the platforms (mobile & desktop) have these as standard built-in now. Possible popular use for party games and to increase player interaction for younger players.

2) When will GMS2 have audio recording functions fixed and functioning again?

3) Why was video playback support never integrated into GMS? Would this be possible further down the GMS2 roadmap? (Partially answered earlier)

4) Any chance of an Intellivision Amico target in the future? Tommy seems very approachable!

5) Would YoYo Game ever hire people to generate video tutorials again like they did when they hired Shaun Spalding?

6) Why was XML left out of the possible data formats? Would XML become a part of the various other data save/load functions considering it's popularity?

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
6) Why was XML left out of the possible data formats? Would XML become a part of the various other data save/load functions considering it's popularity?
I particularly hate XML and I think JSON is a thousand times superior, there are several reasons, I think it was great that they migrated.
Although XML is still used in some GMS 2 files (configuration and layout for example). JSON is a lot more readable and faster, by the way.

poliver

Please don't. It's pretty much dead at the moment apart from legacy applications and auto-generated config files. It's unworkable and unreadable. XSD doesn't add much benefit as well. I'd gather GM don't bloat the software with lesser options that can be easily adapted with your own code.

milleson

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
Are we getting any monetisation features? Opera already has it's own Ads provider, so it seems a logical fit for the GXC.
Yes, monetisation is high on the list of features coming to GXC. Exactly how it will look/work will be announced closer to release, however we will be offering several different ways of monetising games and allow creators to adjust based on which model suits them.

Are there plans to add the option to get comments on games? The current rating system is okay, but being able to get comments from people would be a big help. Alternatively or as well as, it would be great to have a contact/file a bug button for people to let us know there's an issue. I've been playing a few games on the site and found bugs but there is no way to report them... :(
Regarding commenting, I think for us to do this well we need to ensure the contents of the comments is moderated which we are not yet ready to commit to add. We will however be looking at multiple ways to allow creators and players to connect to get feedback and such, so once that is closer to being ready we will share more.

Regarding reporting, technically we do support it already (report button on game page) but currently it's not exposed to creators. This will be something we start exposing to creators to allow them to receive e.g. bug reports and/or suggestions.

Can we get some metrics support on our games as developers? Being able to see how many people have played the game, the length of time they played (and at what time they played), as well as the challenges they attempted, etc... would be really helpful when it comes to "targeting" releases, updates, and features.
Definitely, basically everything you mentioning is something we want to add. It's one of the key things coming up, I can't promise any timeframe just yet since we just launched and a lot of focus atm on just making sure the platform work ok and engaging for both players and creators.

In another thread, there was mention of some kind of rewards system (IIRC). Some elaboration on this would be great... like is this going to be in the form of user badges or custom user banners or avatar broders, etc... for different actions? Or "GXC Coins" or anything like that?
This is tied into monetisation, most likely where you heard this was in relation to incentivised ads which will allow players to optionally watch an ad in return for a reward. Reward can be many things, it doesn't have to be virtual currency but some extra value in the game (such as getting a hint when you are stuck in a puzzle game).

Will there be a possibility for "GXC Exclusive" games? Would YYG/Opera be willing to entertain the idea of having this kind of exclusive content and possibly pay for it?
We are always open to possibilities like this. Contact us directly with more details and we might be able to start a discussion. No promises though.

Thanks for all the questions! :D Many fun things ahead for GXC, however some of the bigger things takes time to get right, but the service will keep getting updates regularly adding value to both creators and players.

Mehdi

@milleson
Thank you and well-done for your great work at GXC!

One thing that I felt should say is that, Are you planning to have a quality assurance team to check the submitted games before publishing?(I mean the games made with GM of course)
Unfortunately, I am seeing a number of poorly made semi-games(!) out there on your platform which not only damages the face of Opera, but also is not good at all for the face of GM itself. This probably will be a bad thing for the future of both Opera platform and YoYo.

I think it should be possible to place some criteria which the games must meet. (in terms of art, complexity , ....)

Last edited:

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Unfortunately, I am seeing a number of poorly made semi-games(!) out there on your platform which not only damages the face of Opera, but also is not good at all for the face of GM itself. This probably will be a bad thing for the future of both Opera platform and YoYo.
I'll be honest and say that I hope this doesn't happen... It's a problem that YYG faced in the past with the Sandbox, and I 100% understand why you'd say this is potentially a problem now.

HOWEVER, if the goal is to encourage developers, then gatekeeping the only place where a young kid using the free version can publish is NOT the way you want to go. I don't want my kids to be told by some anonymous company that "you can publish your games for free here", then "only if we consider them good enough". That sucks. I'm going to assume (and I REALLY hope this is the case) that the way forward will be to have a curated splash/main page where people first land that will showcase the best games that have been uploaded and direct users towards the best in each genre, while permitting them to search and find anything at all.

The problem with the sandbox was that the curation wasn't really front-and-center or properly pushed, and it just didn't have the money or support behind it to make it work properly anyway as it was mainly community run... but the GXC has the full support of Opera behind it from what I can see, so hopefully the "problem" of having "my first game" uploads will not really be a problem, and will instead still be an encouragement to upcoming devs. I honestly LOVE the fact that anyone with GameMaker can now publish a game in seconds and share a link to it with people. This is incredibly empowering, especially if you're young and just getting started! It's something that I think YYG/Opera want to encourage, and not gatekeep, and with careful curation and good design, there is no reason for it to be an issue, imho.

gkri

Flash at its prime had A LOT of trash games, but that didn't affect its popularity (eventually Steve Jobs did it, but that's another story...). A more recent example is Unity, the true queen of trashware. In Unity case, trashware affected her reputation but steam was responsible for that, for allowing anything to be sold for real money in the steam store. As long as GXC does not sells trashware or half finished game, there should be no problem...

milleson

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
I think @Nocturne says pretty well what I'm thinking as well. We want to encourage everyone to create games, but we will also be working closely on curation (both based on what we find interesting, but also the community). Our current landing page is mostly based on curated content, except for the challenge list which is based on metrics. However that list will also be updated to be curated shortly.

gnysek

As Opera GX exporter is the only free, and GXC seems to be the only place to publish them (correct me if I'm wrong), there's no way that "catch the clown" and "my first game ever" could be removed from GXC IMHO even if it looks poor and have nearly no content. That would be not fair for those that started to learn making games, and want to share their work. For most of us, a game which have 50 lines of code and 2 sprites might be a garbage, but for someone other it might be their "dream came true", and maybe that person will send link with this game to his parents or even granparents to share joy.

Stra

I don't have any problems with them uploading and sharing those games with anyone and neither with those games being present on the platform as long as they don't appear listed in their respective genre categories and they don't appear when doing search. Get to them if you have a direct link? Ok. Seeing 100 of them appear when I search for something? Not ok.

A curator would simply flag them as listed/unlisted.

milleson

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
I don't have any problems with them uploading and sharing those games with anyone and neither with those games being present on the platform as long as they don't appear listed in their respective genre categories and they don't appear when doing search. Get to them if you have a direct link? Ok. Seeing 100 of them appear when I search for something? Not ok.

A curator would simply flag them as listed/unlisted.
If this becomes a problem we might e.g. introduce some kind of "Approved by GXC" badge for games that can optionally be used while filtering for those users that want to exclude these types of games. However, we should be careful here as well to ensure we are not making hidden gems less discoverable, so it's a thin line to balance. Many different ways to do this, so can't commit to anything atm, likely we will explore many different ways depending on the types of games we see in the platform.

Zhanghua

If this becomes a problem we might e.g. introduce some kind of "Approved by GXC" badge for games that can optionally be used while filtering for those users that want to exclude these types of games. However, we should be careful here as well to ensure we are not making hidden gems less discoverable, so it's a thin line to balance. Many different ways to do this, so can't commit to anything atm, likely we will explore many different ways depending on the types of games we see in the platform.
User of CN can't register the opera account normally.

iampremo

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
Is the WASM export going to be made available as another general export option for web? Or is it going to remain GXC only? I can imagine that it's less "problematic" as an export and would probably be easier to maintain than the JS/HTML5 target...
We have discussed this internally and may be bringing it as a more general option in the future. We still have more work to do to support Mobile browsers etc so we will wait until we have resolved the outstanding issues.

iampremo

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
Triggers used to be part of GameMaker in the old days, but were removed in the move to GMS1.x. What went into the decision to bring them back? If you're allowed to talk about this yet, how will they be different?
The old triggers in GMS were just a function that was evaluated and if true it then executed an event, this was very inefficient. The new Trigger system is quite different and is more like Unreal triggers where different types of triggers (areas or lines) can be placed in the room editor and then when a game object enters / leaves / hangs around then events can be triggered. These triggers can also have related objects that can be consulted in the event (so doors etc can be opened/closed easily). The goal is to make it easier for designers to be able to use them easily.

On a scale of 1 to 10, how close is my particle editor to being obsolete?
Probably fairly likely, the new particle editor will provide an easy to use interface that gives users all the same functionality that you can do with GameMakers current particle system in code. We will also have particle emitters as a resource that you can use within rooms, sequences etc.

Will the package manager be a part of a larger Marketplace overhaul?
Yes, if you look at the web section of our roadmap you will see Marketplace V2, this will be a complete rewrite of the marketplace, resolving all the issues that we have not been able to address in its current codebase.

Why is there a "d" in "fridge" but not in "refrigerator?"
Because American Englishโ€ฆ

How close are we to seeing all of the old data structures functions superseded by struct-based implementations? I remember that's been part of the conversation since 2.3 was announced in 2019
The current runtime is reliant on an index based system and we will not be upgrading that in its lifetime. We do have plans going forward from thereโ€ฆ stay tuned. You should be able to do anything you want with structs, weโ€™ll not be adding anything new to any of the old data structures but may continue to fix any issues that arise.

iampremo

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
This may a bit of a touchy subject, but it's kind of important to a certain slice of the demographic.

Right now, it seems like (correct me if I'm wrong) that the payment options for the subscriptions must always include a card, and a regular credit card at that. The direct card option (handled by stripe) obviously, but also Google Pay. While you can for example link your Paypal account to Google Pay, the Paypal payment method must be a credit card. No other method seems to work, which is very unfortunate in regions, where credit cards are not a thing or prohibitive for a different reason.

It would be best if 1. Paypal could be used directly and/or
2. Google Pay via Paypal would accept other methods like Paypal balance or direct debit/bank collection.

Do you have any plans or thoughts regarding this?
This is a limitation to our first implementation of subscriptions, we are working on additional methods for purchasing and these should be available soon.

iampremo

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
1. Do you guys plan to offer more support to 3D? I'm not saying full support with options fanfair and the like, but better capability of loading models and such in that regard?
We are not looking to improve the 3D support in the current runtime. We do have plans going forward but not in the short term.. but stay tuned...

2. Will the marketplace ever get fixed and able to be uploaded too? (I think this was in the road map) If so any info you could give about that?
Yes, the Marketplace is getting a complete rewrite, however it will take a bit of time.

3. Any info you can give about up coming opera Jams and such? I hear their was this raccoon that is more then willing to help organize that stuff *wink wink*
Weโ€™ve got plenty of Jams rumbling about in the planning stages and some big ones weโ€™re excited to share if they come together. Weโ€™ll continue to support the always trusty GMC Jam and others like gm48. We now really encourage jam participants to upload their jam games to GXC when they are finished. Itโ€™s a great way to get your jam games played and you may even win some of our upload prizes. More details to come on the November upload prize pool soon!

4. Probably a really interesting question, What is the end goal of game maker? not like "this is it guys game maker is no more!" but like, the best possible future goal of game maker studio as an ide?
Our ultimate goal is to be the best 2D development environment that is recommended by all as the go to tool for making a 2D game. We are never planning to stop development as all of us here on the team are super passionate about game development.

5. Compute shaders, eta?
We are not in a position to announce anything just yet. Stay tuned...

iampremo

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
Any plans for this? layer_sequence_destroy(seq_resource) // Destroys all sequences in the room of that resource type.
Not planned, please file a feature request

Will objects inside sequences get creation code and variables like the room editor?
Not in a position to discuss this just nowโ€ฆ stay tunedโ€ฆ.

Is live coding coming?
Yesโ€ฆ stay tuned.

Will Spine get multiple bounding box support?
We already support this, the GMS collision system supports the bounding boxes created in Spine, we have done for a long time. See https://manual.yoyogames.com/GameMa...Miscellaneous/skeleton_collision_draw_set.htm for more information on visualising these.

Is there going to be an all layer, or general layer, for the room editor?
Changes to our layers have been discussed internally, weโ€™ll release more information closer to the release of the new Room Editor.

iampremo

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
Are there plans for any improvements to two decade old features like: paths (adding bezier paths maybe?), motion planning (new settings, using structs?), grid pathfinding (also more settings, or ability to attach custom functions)? Will be there an option to define sprite fonts without using font_add_sprite, but from IDE (so each glyph can be adjusted)?
If there is not already a feature request then please file feature requests for each of these (separately) and we will take a look. We do have a large backlog of feature requests and we have to prioritise them, so we cannot promise that we will implement them all.

From new features, are there plans for something like adding markers/named points in room editor (or even areas), so their coordinates can be read at runtime (for example to spawn enemies, defining node graphs, or to define npc possible routes), or at least option to get instance x/y while we're in different room? Or option to define shapes for collisions in room editor, so we don't need to use sprites to define some boundaries, or use that data same as in previous part of this long question?
I suspect that Triggers will satisfy much of what you are talking about here, as they will have shapes (not just rectangles or ellipse) and they will be available at runtime.

Are there any plans for morphing/skewing/distorting sprites (there's support for morphing in Spine sprites probably, if it cannot be re-used for it, then at leat something like with draw_sprite_pos, but for room editor)?
You can already do this in Sequencesโ€ฆ you really should look at them. And you can have them within the room editor already.

Is moving away from id-numbered data structures in favour of referenced ones (stacks, lists, maps, grids) which will be automatically garbage collected still on roadmap?
The long term plan is to move completely away from idโ€™s and into references but the current runtime relies on those so it will not be within the lifetime of the 2.x runtime.

iampremo

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
1. Could there possibly be some changes to the shader resources? E.g. I would love to be able to create a single vertex shader and reuse it between different pixel shaders. Or write a single uber shader and compile it multiple times with different #defines.
We are not planning on anything other than cosmetic changes to the 2.x shaders so I do not think these changes are on the cards within that time frame. We do have exciting plans beyond 2.x thoughโ€ฆ stay tuned.

2. I would love to see macros with arguments in GML, it would have some extremely convenient uses. Any plans on this one?
We have no plans to introduce arguments to macros, as this turns into spaghetti very quickly and is not good for a teaching language (which is the remit of GML)

3. Any chance that we could ever program (aside from extensions) in C++ (or generally something more performant than GML) in GM?
Stay tunedโ€ฆ but not in the 2.x timeframe.

4. Could you please hit me up if you ever start focusing on 3D in GM? I would be down for the job ๐Ÿคฃ
I believe we have your CV on file.

iampremo

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
What's the future for official tutorials in GameMaker look like?
Weโ€™ve got lots of exciting things planned for tutorials! We are planning on releasing a series of new project templates (to go with the new start page) and we are mainly going to be focusing our tutorials around extending these with various functionality etc.

iampremo

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
I would like to add to this request. Can we also have the ability to set the built in filters and effects like a shader as well like so:
GML:
shader_set(built_in_filter_effect_x);
//some draw code
shader_reset();
or via specific built in effect functions like so:
GML:
effect_set(built_in_filter_effect_x);
//some draw code
effect_reset();
same thing really but maybe gives some additional control on your side for encapsulation on internal variations of implementation

or even more specific since different effects have different parameters:
GML:
effect_distort_set(parameter args...)
//draw code
effect_reset()
We already have a set of functions for this see the manual https://manual.yoyogames.com/GameMa...ter_Effect_Layers/Filter_Effect_Functions.htm There is one gotcha at the moment which is the filter/effect you want to use has to be referenced in a layer (we will fix this in a future release) it does not have to be visible just referenced.

If you think that we need more functionality then please file a feature request.

iampremo

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
1. I want to say: GMS is great and I love using it for 6years now, I even was able to build a business ontop of it.

Now my critical question:

Will there be a better customer support? In the past I sometimes had to wait over 1 year for a bug fix, which was essential for me.
Even now I still have open requests, which are important for me. If it would be open source, then I could fix them myself.

Thanks! :)

View attachment 44137
Weโ€™ve been making big improvements on this front
More details: https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/winter-q-a-2021.90862/post-544921

iampremo

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
1. Will there ever be support for editing resources using external software? (This used to be a thing). I'm having headaches when trying to import lots of sprites from aseprite to gm.
GMS2 is more complicated because of layers and how they are handled (than GMS1 was) which makes this non-trivial but it is something that we have been discussing internally, we just need to work out the best way to do it without painting ourselves into a photoshop only corner.

2. Pointers in gml? ๐Ÿ™
Unfortunately not

iampremo

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
Thanks for posting this thread, awesome idea! ๐Ÿ˜ป

I can't get enough emoji in my life ๐Ÿ”๐Ÿ˜Ž . When will Yoyo implement a GameMaker Studio emoji campaign that'll bring easy emoji to the masses?

1. Will devs be given the tools to add emoji into their games with minimum effort? IE, if I want a burger/cat/tree floating on screen, within an object I'd like to execute;

GML:
draw_emoji("๐ŸŒฒ")
Not in the 2.x timeframe but we are looking at better font support going forward.

2. Will devs ever have the ability to type and execute emoji within their source? For example;

Code:
var ๐Ÿ‘ฝ๐Ÿ”จ = instance_create_layer(๐Ÿš€.x,๐Ÿš€.y,"๐ŸŒŒ", ๐Ÿ‘ฝ);
Thank you for such awesome progress in GMS2! ๐ŸคŸ
Unlikely, this sounds like a terrible idea..

Status
Not open for further replies.