OFFICIAL Winter Q&A 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

rIKmAN

.. Will Gamemaker Studio receive official VR support ? 🧐
I doubt it will ever be "officially" supported given the limited 3D support and YYG always saying they have no intention of focusing on 3D. Other engines are also much better suited if you are really interested in developing for VR.

There have been some attempts at VR extensions though, most recently GMCardboard which works with Google cardboard and other extensions such as GMOculus and support for HTC Vive though both are pretty old now and it seems they are no longer being developed/supported.

Maybe they could be used as a starting point for your own project though if VR in GM is something you really wanted to persue rather than use Unity/Unreal which both make VR trivial in comparison to what you'd have to do in GM to get even basic support working.

rIKmAN

Yes, it will be part of the inspector for room/sequence instances
To clarify, is this meant to already be possible now?

I notice that "Asset Inspector 1: Notes, Scripts, Sequence, Shaders, Tilesets, Objects" and "Room Instance Inspector" are both marked as "Released" on the Roadmap, but I don't see anything regarding "Sequence Instances" on there, nor can I find a way to access an instances variables when within a sequence using the latest beta.

The Inspector shows and allows you to add/edit Object Variables for both Objects and Sequences, but nothing when an Instance is selected in the Sequence Editor.

As a very simple example:
A single button object with a "label" string variable which can be dragged into a sequence multiple times and have the "label" text changed via the inspector / through code (preferably both) so that each instance displays a different text label on the button.

Currently it seems each button needs to be a completely different object and although there are a couple of clunky workarounds, these quickly become hard to manage when things get more complex than a few simple buttons with different text on them - which is the most basic example I could think of.

If it's not possible now and is coming in ther future, will it be added to the roadmap and is there any ETA on this functionality being added?

drandula

Will there be foreach function?
I would love to see this one, as it would be native iterator, which would be faster than using normal GML for-loop.
In larger arrays that would be really good :)
But how it would behave, and would it allow arrays, lists, grids structs?

But it would be cleaner too, so instead of:
Code:
var dest = 0;
for(var i = 0; i < array_length(left_array); i++) {
    for(var j = 0; j < array_length(middle_array); j++) {
        for(var k = 0; k < array_length(right_array); k++) {
            dest += left_array[i] * middle_array[j] * right_array[k]; 
        }
    }
}
Code could look like this
Code:
var dest = 0;
foreach(left in left_array) {
    foreach(middle in middle_array) {
        foreach(right in right_array) {
            dest += left * middle * right;
        }
    }
}
Or going through multi-dimensional array.
Code:
// Assume rectangular 4D array.
foreach(xx in array) {
    foreach(yy in xx) {
        foreach(zz in yy) {
            foreach(ww in zz) {
                ww = random(1);
            }
        }
    }
}

// Instead of
for(var i = 0; i < array_length(array); i++) {
    for(var j = 0; j < array_length(array[i]); j++) {
        for(var k = 0; k < array_length(array[i][j]); k++) {
            for(var l = 0; l < array_length(array[i][j][k]); l++) {
                array[@i][@j][@k][@l] = random(1);
            }
        }
    }
}

Last edited:

gnysek

But how it would behave, and would it allow arrays, lists, grids structs?
There's good example of how foreach could work made by Juju: https://github.com/JujuAdams/SNAP/blob/master/scripts/foreach/foreach.gml and that's implementation that I'm currently using in every projects. With native solutions temporary variables from same scope could be used, and it wouldn't require to pass annonymous function, but just put pure GML code in foreach body instead - which should have big impact on performance (especially when compared to annynomous function re-created every step).

Cpaz

Is there a chance we could see some improvements to documentation tools? Like adapting jsdoc with type ahead for annotations?

I can't speak for everyone, but I find it far too cumbersome to write documentation at the moment.

EDIT: I also realized this would likely play nice with the proposed intellisense changes too. It'd be nice to see function and class documentation by hovering over the name, for example.

kingyo

I would like to request a "Move to Group" in the context menu of the asset browser.
It is very inconvenient to drag an asset to move it while scrolling slowly. I would like to be able to select multiple assets and move them all at once.
Are there any plans to implement this?

iampremo

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
Will there be foreach function?
We're not planning on adding foreach as a function

Is it planned to allow to allow to split runners, so only selected can be updated instead all? (as we have beta every Tue/Thu, that requires to re-download 9 runners even if not needed).
The way runtimes are packaged and distributed will be changing with the new runtime

iampremo

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
What about accessing them in code? For example, if I create a generic "attack" animation for a turn-based game, with the intention of switching the sprites to match the attacking/defending objects after creating the sequence in code, there's currently no clean way to do that. I've hacked around it by having the instances created inside the sequence add themselves to a data structure on creation then accessing instance IDs from that structure, but it'll break if internal changes mess with the order instances are created in.
We've not planned on adding anything extra. As you say, right now you need the instance id then you can edit them in code. Put in a feature request and we'll consider it

iampremo

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
To clarify, is this meant to already be possible now?
Not yet, but it will be coming at some point soon

I notice that "Asset Inspector 1: Notes, Scripts, Sequence, Shaders, Tilesets, Objects" and "Room Instance Inspector" are both marked as "Released" on the Roadmap, but I don't see anything regarding "Sequence Instances" on there, nor can I find a way to access an instances variables when within a sequence using the latest beta.
The sequence instance inspector was the first one we did when we launched sequences

If it's not possible now and is coming in ther future, will it be added to the roadmap and is there any ETA on this functionality being added?
It's such a small part of the inspector in the grand scheme of things so im not planning on adding it as a roadmap item, it'll likely be added in Q1 next year

iampremo

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
Is there a chance we could see some improvements to documentation tools? Like adapting jsdoc with type ahead for annotations?

I can't speak for everyone, but I find it far too cumbersome to write documentation at the moment.

EDIT: I also realized this would likely play nice with the proposed intellisense changes too. It'd be nice to see function and class documentation by hovering over the name, for example.
there are changes coming to this with the intellisense feature

iampremo

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
I would like to request a "Move to Group" in the context menu of the asset browser.
It is very inconvenient to drag an asset to move it while scrolling slowly. I would like to be able to select multiple assets and move them all at once.
Are there any plans to implement this?
not currently planned, put in a feature request

iampremo

GameMaker Staff
Admin
GameMaker Dev.
Thanks for all the questions!

I'm going to close this thread for now so that it doesn't live forever..

We hope that this has been beneficial for you all and we will be sure to do another one in the not too distant future.

Status
Not open for further replies.