Wings Of Bluestar [2D horizontal hand painted Shmup]+Demo

S

Shinu Real Arts

LOGO.png
Hello everyone!

Edit: Newest Demo: https://tinyurl.com/y4tsxp6l

This is Shinu Real Arts and I'm an indie game developer.
Here I present to you my actual and biggest project; Wings Of Bluestar, a 2D horizontal shmup in the style of 90s games on the 32bit consoles and on the Arcade.
The game is in development for a year now and is about 50% done. A public demo is almost done and will be shared here soon.

Game features:
- 6 levels long, each level around 5 minutes and a boss fight.
- Two player choice, each ship has its own mechanism.
- Local multiplayer, 2 player.
- Gamepad and keyboard support.
- Story mode, in the style of a visual novel between levels.
- Arcade mode.
- Trophies.
- Gallery.
- Auto-save.
- Scoring/combo system.
aya full body.png
Demo features:
- One ship.
- Single player.
- Complete first level + boss.
- 8 arts to unlock in the gallery.
- 3 Trophies to unlock.
- 4 levels of difficulties.
- Gamepad and keyboard support.
- auto-save.
----------------------------
The game is planed for Steam as primary platform and needs another year in order to be completed.
Here are some screenshots:
dffeze.jpg Runner 2017-11-14 19-49-58-85.jpg Runner 2017-11-14 19-50-38-77.jpg

I hope that you guys like the game.
There's still a lot of work, especially for a one man team, and I'll try to make this game a reality.
I'll keep you guys regularly updated and one the demo is ready, I'll share it here. I hope that I'll get a lot of feedback.
----
Right now the game has 3 full playable stages with bosses. The 4th stage is visually complete and integrated into the game.
I'll be posting more screenshots from the other stages and keep you guys updated.
Thanks for keeping with this long topic!
Shinu Real Arts

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Shinu Real Arts

Some updates:

A new chain combo system added to the first ship. You score more points killing enemies with the shield:
daaqq.jpgsss.jpg

And here are some screenshots from the finished stages:
Runner 2017-10-12 21-37-34-53.avi_000214587.jpg Runner 2017-10-12 21-37-34-53.avi_000158588.jpg Runner 2017-10-12 21-37-34-53.avi_000076920.jpg wmplayer 2017-10-11 22-13-18-05.jpg

Stay tunes!​

S

Shinu Real Arts

Hi there!
Some info about the gallery system:
The game, beside score, uses another type of points called Risk Points. Those points are used to unlock different stuff in the game like gallery arts, extra credits etc, and are collect via different methods.
Here are some screenshots from the gallery menu, the demo already has 8 gallery arts to unlock.
q45.jpg quj.jpg qo1.jpg

S

Shinu Real Arts

Hi there!
As for the menus, I did some visual updates. Here are some screenshots:
oiuu.jpg 45786532.jpg 5777.jpg Runner 2018-04-09 23-06-30-46.jpg Runner 2018-04-09 23-08-39-73.jpg

S

Shinu Real Arts

Hello!
The demo, which is to be released soon, will contain only one playable character: Aya.
chara.jpg

---------

And the demo already has a cinematic intro:
al2l.jpg kiolmp.jpg sce052.jpg

S

Shinu Real Arts

Looks cool. I love shmups. :) Will be looking forward to that demo as well. :)

Thanks guys! trying to get the demo released asap.

------------------------------ Some updates ----------------------------
Here's the 2nd playable character, haven't decided on a ship yet, but I have some concepts.
mpmdpmdp.jpg player2.jpg
------------------------
And some screenies from the first level showing some trophies notifications:
wmplayer 2017-10-11 22-14-56-70.jpg gfdghfh.jpg wmplayer 2017-10-11 22-14-53-67.jpg

S

Shinu Real Arts

Hi there!
Here are some screenshots from the 2nd stage:
Ps: the 2nd stage has two phases, horizontal and then vertical.
Runner 2017-10-12 21-37-34-53.avi_000036316.jpg Runner 2017-10-12 21-37-34-53.avi_000076920.jpg Runner 2017-10-12 21-37-34-53.avi_000131451.jpg Runner 2017-10-12 21-37-34-53.avi_000102568.jpg Runner 2017-10-12 21-37-34-53.avi_000158588.jpg
Hope you like them.​

S

Shinu Real Arts

-
-
-
And here's an old video gameplay from the 3rd stage. Some stuff has changed but not that much.
Voices and sound efeects are original from my game, but the stage music is borrowed from Blazing Star :)

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Shinu Real Arts

-
-
Today's work! I just finished working on the 2nd ship (the green one) and coded it into the game. It still needs some tweaking though, but I'll leave that for later, since I need to refine that demo first.
-
-
-
Edit:
Just avoiding double posting, here's a video gameplay from the 3rd stage, hard difficulty.
PS: the background music is from Blazing Star and it's just borrowed for that video.

S

Shinu Real Arts

Hi there! it's me again.

And here's a video gameplay of the first stage:

Hope you like it. Feedback is appreciated!​

S

Shinu Real Arts

Hello there!
I may call the cinematic intro done! here is an early footage, no audio yet!
[video]

Kyon

Wow good job on the intro. Looks very nice!!
It all looks good, only thing I can come up with is maybe make the UI and pop-up-texts (scores etc.), idk, better visible.
Especially at the score screen. The words like "score" and "total" (are the others bonus and stacks?) are a pain to read.
Maybe some white or black outline would help.

Other than that, very nice! :) :)

S

Shinu Real Arts

Wow good job on the intro. Looks very nice!!
It all looks good, only thing I can come up with is maybe make the UI and pop-up-texts (scores etc.), idk, better visible.
Especially at the score screen. The words like "score" and "total" (are the others bonus and stacks?) are a pain to read.
Maybe some white or black outline would help.

Other than that, very nice! :) :)
Thanks a lot for the feedback and glad you liked the intro.
As for the UI, I'll keeping that in mind. I made a black shadow but obviously it didn't help that much.

S

Shinu Real Arts

2nd ship sub weapons added to the game, now gotta work on the firing visuals and system.

S

Shinu Real Arts

Hi there!
Since the 2nd player is finally introduced to my game "Wings Of Bluestar", it's highly time to make some arts for him to be added to the game gallery. So here's a work in progress that I did yesterday. Hope you guys like it.

J

Jafman

Looks excellent! And that soundtrack.. This must've taken a lot of time and effort. Congrats!

I have to comment on the power up sounds. Reminded me of when I don't have an alarm set right to stop a sound and it plays a bunch of times at once. lool

I saw in one of your videos what appears to be an early menu? Are there more options for sound, or a way to set volume for types of sound?

S

Shinu Real Arts

Looks excellent! And that soundtrack.. This must've taken a lot of time and effort. Congrats!

I have to comment on the power up sounds. Reminded me of when I don't have an alarm set right to stop a sound and it plays a bunch of times at once. lool

I saw in one of your videos what appears to be an early menu? Are there more options for sound, or a way to set volume for types of sound?
Thanks a lot!

I fixed that issue on the bonus sound because it's more often to be heard that power up, add-on and shield.
Right now the options include only on/off for the background music. I'm planing to add a volume slider and a "bonus" on/off for people who don't like the announcers' voice.

Here are some updates on that poster:

S

Shinu Real Arts

Hi there! here's another short preview from the trailer. Still tweaking stuff here and there before sharing the full thing.

S

Shinu Real Arts

Some new update the game, actually working on a ranking system, which isn't easy to be honest....

S

Shinu Real Arts

Today's work:

Game has a combo counter (on the left) and a max combo per stage and per whole play through.

Ziberteck

This art style reminds me of something and i can't place my finger on it. somewhat reminds me of some "galaxy of games" games i played years ago.

The gameplay looks really nice though, not sure if there's a demo available but i'de like to give it a try sometime. Good luck with it.

Orak

Hi there! Just want to tell you my opinion about score, maybe it is just me but i find it quite unreadable when the score go over the million. I prefer when it is simple (like aqua kitty for the reference) but i know other players like it when the score go crazy.

S

Shinu Real Arts

This art style reminds me of something and i can't place my finger on it. somewhat reminds me of some "galaxy of games" games i played years ago.

The gameplay looks really nice though, not sure if there's a demo available but i'de like to give it a try sometime. Good luck with it.

Thanks!

A demo is to be released soon, we are just waiting for the kickstarter launch.

S

Shinu Real Arts

Hi there! Just want to tell you my opinion about score, maybe it is just me but i find it quite unreadable when the score go over the million. I prefer when it is simple (like aqua kitty for the reference) but i know other players like it when the score go crazy.

Thanks for the feedback!

It's just that my game is an arcade shmups and scoring is a big part of the genre.

S

Shinu Real Arts

Small update:

Since we are getting close to releasing a demo, it was time to add some social media and kickstarter links.

Can't wait to finish this and start working on the 4th stage though :/​

S

Shinu Real Arts

Finally, the first public demo is done and ready for release as soon as the kickstarter is set.
The demo contains:
- First stage.
- A video trailer.
- 3 trophies to unlock.
- 8 artworks to unlock.
- Options like 4 difficulties, sound, credits etc.
- Saving.
- Hi-score.
- scoring mechanism.
- Cinematic intro.
- Simple image tutorial.

Wish me luck with the Kickstarter!!!

S

Shinu Real Arts

Hi there!!

Some updates on the game:

First I wanna announce that the demo is finally ready for release, we are just waiting for the Kickstarter launch.

go.jpg

And with that being done with, work on the 4th stage enemies has started, here are some screenshots:
987465465465.jpg 7897897.jpg 13654.jpg

S

Shinu Real Arts

Hi there!

Here's a video update of the 4th stage beginning, still a WIP though.

F

F. Cole

really like the art direction, kinda has a phantasy star apple seed look.

S

Shinu Real Arts

really like the art direction, kinda has a phantasy star apple seed look.
I'm a fan of both franchises and it's nice to hear such feedback, thanks a lot!

And more updates; the trailer video is done and the kickstarter alongside a public demo gonna be released in the coming few days.

S

Shinu Real Arts

Finally I decided to finish this poster for the game, welcome the second player and his ship:​

zarak with logo.jpg

And right after that I started working on another poster for the Kickstarte, still WIP thoughr:
poster01.jpg poster02.jpg

S

Shinu Real Arts

And done!
But somehow I'm not satisfied with the result...​

kickposter02title.jpg

S

Shinu Real Arts

Hi there!
More on Wings Of Bluestar and this time the 4th boss is almost done with being programmed. Here are some screenies:

876456.jpg sdfgsfdg.jpg qsdqsd.jpg 654898798.jpg

S

Shinu Real Arts

Not much updates lately due to vacation, but I'm back.
Work on the 4th boss is almost done and the 4th stage may be called done soon.
Here are some screens:
zaz64564.jpg q4654.jpg a4564.jpg

S

Shinu Real Arts

I noticed that the game lacks on the clouds department, so I decided to redo all of them clouds backgrounds. Here's the first attemps:
New:

area3 sky3.jpg
Old:
area3 sky22.jpg
Even older:
area3 sky2.png

S

Shinu Real Arts

Yo guys!
I decided to do a total rework on the clouds in the game. Right now, stage 2 and 3 are done, I'll be working on 4 tomorrow. Here are some screenies.6548797987987987.jpg
Runner 2018-08-01 02-24-23-41.jpg Runner 2018-08-01 02-22-52-84.jpg Runner 2018-08-01 02-20-04-43.jpgRunner 2018-08-01 02-25-06-35.jpg