GM:S 1.4 Windows executables contain a virus (Gen:Variant.Mikey.49697)

Discussion in 'Legacy GameMaker Community Tech Support' started by Ceymoonie, Jun 23, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Ceymoonie

Ceymoonie Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2016
  2. Ceymoonie

Ceymoonie Guest

No, only the ones created by Studio.

3. Ceymoonie

Ceymoonie Guest

Yeah, after reading it again it really sounds like I'm talking about something a lot worse than the actual problem.

Lonewolff likes this.
  4. Ceymoonie

Ceymoonie Guest

My own anti-virus recognizes it as a virus, so I have to disable it to even create and run executables.
    I'll try creating a zip file tomorrow.

Lonewolff likes this.
  5. johnwo

johnwo Member

I tried a couple of EXE's (all different projects three times [Single-exe, Zip and NSIS]), all ended up with the same results.
    I used the VM when creating the EXE's, not the YYC.

Single file-executable created with GM:S:
    [​IMG]

An EXE from a ZIP-file created with GM:S:

[​IMG]

Windows NSIS installer created with GM:S:
    [​IMG]

A few false positives there, but nothing to get riled up about...

I find it quite strange that you got so many positives tho. Do the game in question use any extensions or DLL bundled with it?
    I think your case is an isolated incident, but quite interesting. Do you use YYC or the VM when creating the executables?

Ceymoonie likes this.
  6. Ceymoonie

Ceymoonie Guest

Thanks for testing. I'm not using any DLL, GEX or something like that, and I'm not using the YYC. I tried it with another project, and only got two (false-)positives.
    ZIPs work fine, so I'm kind of tempted to just use those just to make sure that everyone can play it without disabling their anti-virus.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2016
  7. Ceymoonie

Ceymoonie Guest

I've contacted Yoyogames, so if they give an useful answer I'll post it here.

Lonewolff likes this.
  8. Ceymoonie

Ceymoonie Guest

Yoyogames confirmed this to be a false-positive, but it's obviously still a big issue. Because while I, and others familiar with this bug, can just ignore it, there are still plenty of people that won't take the risk and won't play the game.

9. Alv

Alv Member

Yes, it's a big issue. However, there is a solution. Game Maker uses iexpress (Windows tool avaible in Windows/System32 folder) to package game files. You can just use a different Self Extractor. I'm currently using WinZip Self-Extractor, unfortunately it shows a GUI while extracting. I also tried WinRAR sfx, but it has the same problem of iexpress with antivirus.