• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows Windows Defender detects my app as a virus.

D

DumbBot

Hello

Im working on many projects on GameMaker and Im releasing them on my personal webpage to public. But I have a problem here. Users that use Windows 10 can't even download the .exe file. They get a warning from SmartScreen Filter and Windows Defender. Some people doesn't even want to download it just because of this.

I tried NSIS Installer, Single Runtime Executable, Zip Export I tried it all but same.

I did a research some time ago. I know that I need Microsoft Authenticode but that costs around $200 per month and our local currency is worthless.

So is it possible to avoid those False Positive flaws of Windows 10 without spending that amount of bucks???

S

Samurai

If you're releasing a game onto a personal webpage just use the html5 export option. If that's not an option you might want to try exporting to a more recent version of windows such as 8.1. When publishing a game just for sharing I usually just export to html5 since it's easy for the users to play it. The more export options the better, that's why getting a master's collection license would be worth it.

D

DumbBot

If you're releasing a game onto a personal webpage just use the html5 export option. If that's not an option you might want to try exporting to a more recent version of windows such as 8.1. When publishing a game just for sharing I usually just export to html5 since it's easy for the users to play it. The more export options the better, that's why getting a master's collection license would be worth it.
GameMaker Pro is quite expensive so I use GameMaker Standard

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
The last time I checked, the cheapest code-signing certificates are $200 per year, not per month. And it won't help if SmartScreen and Defender deems them "uncommonly downloaded". You can try submitting your project on Microsoft's developer contact form, but don't expect immediate results.

Another way you can try is submitting your projects to the Windows Store, where I presume Microsoft will mark them safe ahead of time.

S

Samurai

GameMaker Pro is quite expensive so I use GameMaker Standard
That's the only disadvantage about not getting a license. I understand that reason itself won't make it a buy. It's better than some monthly subscription. The vast number of windows export options would probably be your best bet.

D

DumbBot

The last time I checked, the cheapest code-signing certificates are $200 per year, not per month. And it won't help if SmartScreen and Defender deems them "uncommonly downloaded". You can try submitting your project on Microsoft's developer contact form, but don't expect immediate results.

Another way you can try is submitting your projects to the Windows Store, where I presume Microsoft will mark them safe ahead of time.
I see. Thanks for your reply

I tried find out that publishing an app to Windows Store costs money. I used the link that you gave to me to contact Microsoft.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
I tried find out that publishing an app to Windows Store costs money.
Of course submitting to Windows Store costs money, that's the price of doing business. But get this: It's a one-time fee of $19 for individuals and $99 for companies, a far cry from an annual fee of $200+. That $19 will get you past SmartScreen scot-free because it didn't come through IE/Edge.

Surely now you would have to put up with the red tape of submission reviews and store policy compliance. It won't be curveball- or frustration-free, a walled garden is as a walled garden does. But if it means SmartScreen will stop throwing fits, that's time and money well spent.