Windows 11 Preview

Amon

Well, I took the dive and installed the Windows 11 Preview from the Dev Branch. So far, everything is running fine. It looks lush, is fast and all my apps/games work still. Has anyone else installed the preview? If you did, did you run into any problems.?

W11 is a definite, significant improvement on Windows 10, especially UI wise. The centred taskbar and app launcher is cool. One can't help to think though that a lot of how MacOS does it is in this build. Only time will tell if that's where Windows 11 is heading.

Evanski

Raccoon Lord
Forum Staff
Idk, i'll wait until its released publicly and theirs been alot of discussion and updates to it, before I install and make the switch

I dont like the middle taskbar, i hope their is an option to revert back to my left to right taskbar
Apparently it needs to be online all the time, so thats a no from me and again hopefully it changes

the new looks of things are a bit to minimalistic for my taste but oh well

I dont like the middle taskbar, i hope their is an option to revert back to my left to right taskbar
You can change taskbar alignment.

Apparently it needs to be online all the time, so thats a no from me and again hopefully it changes
Where are you getting this? All I'm seeing is that now you can't easily do an offline install and "need" to go online once in order to activate Windows 11. I say "need" because apparently you can bypass the online activation by Alt-F4'ing the network connection screen on install.

Last edited:

Shut

Haven't installed the preview, but being able to sideload Android apps will definitely be interesting. If it works flawlessly and without too much additional tweaking, it could make Android gamedev much more profitable.

Last edited:

Mercerenies

Where are you getting this? All I'm seeing is that now you can't easily do an offline install and "need" to go online once in order to activate Windows 11. I say "need" because apparently you can bypass the online activation by Alt-F4'ing the network connection screen on install.
https://winaero.com/how-to-install-windows-11-with-local-account/

The fact that you have to trick the OS into letting you make an offline account is a serious indicator of skewed priorities. Windows 10 hid the "local account" button and made it small, but it was still there. Now, you literally have to trigger an error or disconnect from the Internet to enable the setting. I don't use Windows a lot, but the fact that they make it so hard to have my user account be, you know, stored on the computer I'm using it on, is terrifying to me. My personal device should not be phoning home to some webserver to check my local password.

On the computer I'm on right now, my password is stored (encrypted) on the hard drive. When I log in, the computer checks the password I entered against it. If I'm offline, literally nothing changes because the process doesn't involve Internet. It's physically impossible for anyone (short of a zero-day CPU backdoor we don't know about) to modify my password without direct physical to the device.

Mercerenies

They removed the button for win 10
you have to cause a network error still
When did they do that? I set up a new Win10 computer early last year for Jamming, and it was still there at that time, at least. I don't doubt they've removed it since, though.

(short of a zero-day CPU backdoor we don't know about)
Very optimistic to assume either AMD or Intel are not compromised. At this point, I'd only ever fully trust open-source architectures such as RISC-V to not be.

My computer use is very normie. Most I'd ever do is screw around with dual-booting Linux distros. Windows 10, with its forced updates and countless other trashfire """features""" already ruined any sense of ownership I may have had. As long as what I want to do with my PC isn't made annoying or impossible, I'm fine. Also don't see any rush to update to 11 just yet. I'll let everyone else be guinea pigs and only upgrade once MS makes it impossible to do anything without annoyance like they did with 7.

Last edited:

kburkhart84

Firehammer Games
I'll let everyone else be guinea pigs and only upgrade once MS makes it impossible to do anything without annoyance like they did with 7.
I may be able to do that as well, depending on how long it takes for DDR5 adoption, CPU/GPU prices to normalize, and if nothing happens to my tower. I don't want to jump in too fast, but at the same time, even though it is Windows, if you sell something, you need to make sure it works.

That Android app functionality is pretty interesting too, I'm wondering how well that will work.

D

Deleted member 13992

Gonna wait a few years until it's demonstrated that it isn't choc-full of difficult to remove bloat, browsers, weather apps, patronizing shopping apps, clippy's, and isn't just trying to handicap itself into a phone OS in its triteness and simplicity.

10 works fine for my needs for now.

GamerFox

Well, I took the dive and installed the Windows 11 Preview from the Dev Branch. So far, everything is running fine. It looks lush, is fast and all my apps/games work still. Has anyone else installed the preview? If you did, did you run into any problems.?

W11 is a definite, significant improvement on Windows 10, especially UI wise. The centred taskbar and app launcher is cool. One can't help to think though that a lot of how MacOS does it is in this build. Only time will tell if that's where Windows 11 is heading.
i wonder if GMS2 is gonna still work on there and I wonder how exporting would work? I hope Windows 11 still runs 64 bit that I am pretty sure Game maker has been running or it was 32 bit I forget...