• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - Code Will there ever be a built-in code-prettifier for GM2?

gnysek

If they would document API for IDE (which exists from 2.0), then we could do it on our own in fact, so they shouldn't consider some of features on roadmap in fact, but let community made them. However, that API is probably too buggy, so that's why it's still kept internal.

xDGameStudios

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
If they would document API for IDE (which exists from 2.0), then we could do it on our own in fact, so they shouldn't consider some of features on roadmap in fact, but let community made them. However, that API is probably too buggy, so that's why it's still kept internal.
You're probably right.. but that's a shame! plugin API would save Yoyo a lot of feature implementation

J

JON213

Would definitely be nice if it made code neat like visual studio.

gnysek

There's several people here on community, that cracks the possibilities of GMS so much, that it amazes me they still didn't found a way to hack and create sample IDE plugins. Must be not easy then, or it's somehow locked to not load files that aren't hardcoded on some list (as they don't publish API for IDE, it doesn't need to be open for any extensions in fact).

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
There's several people here on community, that cracks the possibilities of GMS so much, that it amazes me they still didn't found a way to hack and create sample IDE plugins. Must be not easy then, or it's somehow locked to not load files that aren't hardcoded on some list (as they don't publish API for IDE, it doesn't need to be open for any extensions in fact).
IDE extensions are all code-signed and you can't get around that without modifying the IDE files, which is insufficiently legal to do.

xDGameStudios

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
IDE extensions are all code-signed and you can't get around that without modifying the IDE files, which is insufficiently legal to do.
Well if they ever allow for people to develop IDE plugins that will probably change, no?
Maybe we will need to send the IDE extensions to the marketplace and then YYG will verify and sign them... to avoid misuse?!

gnysek

So yes, somebody already tried that, I knew! That's understandable that they only allow signed ones, to prevent "unofficial plugins" begin made after they mentioned that API exists. So this is still for future.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Releasing a code prettifier while a major syntax shuffle-up is imminent reeks of bad timing.

It'll probably happen, but not now.

Joe Ellis

Something that lets you rename built-in functions would be good. Like the opposite of how extensions can replace them, something where you choose a function name and tell it the source function

Joe Ellis

Not to get too off topic, but you can already do this with macros.
But there isn't a way to make them take arguments is there?
This made me realize you can put variable names in the macro value, like: make_color_rgb(r, g, b) and it will use r g & b if they exist. Thanks for making me realize that :)

xDGameStudios

GameMaker Staff
GameMaker Dev.
But there isn't a way to make them take arguments is there?
This made me realize you can put variable names in the macro value, like: make_color_rgb(r, g, b) and it will use r g & b if they exist. Thanks for making me realize that :)
as @samspade said you can do it with macros:
Code:
#macro string_size string_length

var a = string_size("this is a test");
show_debug_message(a); // prints "14"
Not sure if this is something you want to be doing... but you can!

Last edited:

gnysek

I wanted to write in camelCase in GMS too, but after using that for nearly year I decided to go back to snake_case. Just because two styles at once were worse :p I'm using camelCase in other languages of course.