Android Will the 2:1 kill 16:9 domination? The aspect ratio trends for mobile games, i hope it doesn't becau

H

HW.

because.............
all of my project are still using 16:9 which is HD 720p and or 1080p FHD..
:p
And what i always do is "tick" that instant settings on GM to "Keep Aspect ratio"....
i really live in a comfort zone doing that..

Yeah it has black bars on top or down...if non-16:9 plays but the 16:9 was (and overall is) still the majority.

i used to ignore some other minority users using other aspect ratios before, but now with the current trend, it seems that i must stop ignore esp. if the 16:9 becomes the minority soon. oh no..... my comfort zone is gone

but since 2:1 is trending now for all current new devices.... 18:9, 18,5:9 etc...... and all of those "hair pony" screen... (for games i love the flat square instead of the "pony" screen)

I have more burdens now to support it.

I hope the manufacturers will go back to 16:9 again LOL LoL really hope....

I don't like too wide or thin device.

I love 16:9 aspect ratio but if i don't support 2:1 soon, the players are going crazy wih complaints, negative reviews bla bla... T_T

While i know the dynamic resolution ratio script is the solution of this matter instead of using the "fixed keep aspect ratio setting", it gives more burdens to create the graphic assets et cetera..and the environment settings instead of just x,y position, must do harder work with xy pos with +view[0] bla bla codes...

What do you think?
Do you love 16:9 or 2:1 for mobile gaming?

Andrey

I also like 16:9 very much. But the market dictates a different reality to which to adapt.
In the new project I had to take into account the wide formats. I did under 2.05 in width, and then (if the device will be even wider, the black bars on the sides). Naturally, the levels design is rubber.
And no, I don't think there will be a return to 16:9. On the contrary, more and more to 360° and VR without any borders. :confused:

JackTurbo

My phone is 19:9...

The plethora of resolutions on Android must be a pain for mobile devs. Moving away from developing for fixed aspect ratios is presumably the only real way forward.

H

HW.

I also like 16:9 very much. But the market dictates a different reality to which to adapt.
In the new project I had to take into account the wide formats. I did under 2.05 in width, and then (if the device will be even wider, the black bars on the sides). Naturally, the levels design is rubber.
And no, I don't think there will be a return to 16:9. On the contrary, more and more to 360° and VR without any borders. :confused:
Hmm so you choose 2.05 which is 18.5:9. If it also has the "notch" then it can be less than 2.05 if not fullscreen? And how about with the android onscreen button (back,home), does it also decrease the ratio too? How do you manage it for the 19,5:9 and 19:9 and 18:9 and 16:9 players?

Yeah it seems it will be around 2:1 because the OS needs it to divide screen properly in pixels, for the dual window, "half-half" apps on the screen. However i don't think it is useful for gaming, more of social media or browsing or messaging multitasking....

I think the "notch" trend will not last forever as it looks like people prefer a screen without "notch" in the future.
My phone is 19:9...

The plethora of resolutions on Android must be a pain for mobile devs. Moving away from developing for fixed aspect ratios is presumably the only real way forward.
How is your experience with playing mobile games on your 19:9 phone? Do many game devs already support your phone screen without any black bars spotted? Yeah it is so much pain for devs lol.

Toque

I didn’t think apple allowed black bars?

The ratios are dictating heavily in my designs and even types of games I am making.

That’s mobile ugh.

Andrey

Hmm so you choose 2.05 which is 18.5:9. If it also has the "notch" then it can be less than 2.05 if not fullscreen? And how about with the android onscreen button (back,home), does it also decrease the ratio too? How do you manage it for the 19,5:9 and 19:9 and 18:9 and 16:9 players?
I made a maximum of 2.05, and then black stripes on the sides. About the recess for the phone speaker and pieces of the screen - this is generally a perversion.

I tried to place all the main game elements closer to the center of the screen, and the control buttons on the GUI layer (which can get on this speaker) I made dynamic (the distance can be adjusted in the game settings).

Last edited:
H

HW.

I made a maximum of 2.05, and then black stripes on the sides. About the recess for the phone speaker and pieces of the screen - this is generally a perversion.

I tried to place all the main game elements closer to the center of the screen, and the control buttons on the GUI layer (which can get on this speaker) I made dynamic (the distance can be adjusted in the game settings).
Hmm interesting to make the distance being able to be adjusted in your game settings.

Btw is that your phone, an Asus Zenfone 5 with the 18,7:9 screen and is equipped with Oreo 8.0, right? I can see the notch so i assumed it is zf5 because the zf max doesn't use the notch.. Btw, How is your GM game working with the adaptive icons runtime manual patch (as seen on the other thread) on your phone? Is the adaptive icon (your GM game using the patch) displayed correctly on your Asus phone?

Andrey

Hmm interesting to make the distance being able to be adjusted in your game settings.

Btw is that your phone, an Asus Zenfone 5 with the 18,7:9 screen and is equipped with Oreo 8.0, right? I can see the notch so i assumed it is zf5 because the zf max doesn't use the notch.. Btw, How is your GM game working with the adaptive icons runtime manual patch (as seen on the other thread) on your phone? Is the adaptive icon (your GM game using the patch) displayed correctly on your Asus phone?
no, it's just a picture from the Internet.
Since it is not possible to test on all phone models, it is possible to simulate different proportions in GM. Even doing all sorts of overlays that show the overlap region.
About the icon can't check. :(